In Car Settings via Chat commands

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Boyd, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Boyd

Boyd Registered

I made a post in the general discussion to get some feedback. It wasn't badly received, so I'll add it here in the wishlist.

It would be really helpful to be able to make in-car adjustments or to make pit strategy changes, via chat commands, in much the same way that admin commands can restart races, call for a vote, change the grid, etc.

This is not useful in a race situation under normal circumstances, but is very useful when using a tool like a voice recognition engine that converts voice commands to rFactor (1 or 2) commands. These voice recognition tools can be very powerful (like VoiceAttack), and can translete one voice command into multiple rFactor commands.

Most of the controls are mapped to a joystick or keyboard button, so these are easy to map currently. Where it becomes tricky is with pit strategy changes, where rFactor relies on the user performing a sequence of cursor presses to perform certain actions like remove 10 litres of fuel, or change tyres, or adjust the tyre pressures, or even to remove damage repair.

A chat command like /fuel -10 would be ideal in a case like this. The voice recognition is programmed to listen for "fuel less 10", and it would then pass this command on to rFactor. Where it would be most helpful (in teh context of voice recognition command mapping) would be fuel, tyres changes and pressures, damage repair, basically any of the pit strategy changes that don't have direct commands mapped.
    e.g /tyres rl rr no-change, or /pressure fl fr +10, or /repair none.

This can be extended to all in car adjustments and settings. Brake balance, field of view, standings display, headlights, boost, pit in request, igntion and starter, etc etc. The scope is endless. It would also lend itself really well to chat, where a voice command like "pass left" or "Get out of my way!" would know to initiate a chat window with the relevant text. And flash the lights if needed. :) (Not in a race though... and it could even be coded as such...)

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015