Improved Curb sounds

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by FONismo, Jan 12, 2013.

1. FONismo

FONismo Registered

As above i find the curb sounds as in rF2 really poor. I felt the same with rF1 and they sound indentical in rF2. There was a mod for rF1 which improved them but even that was fairly weak.. They have no real i don't know the word to best describe what i mean, but maybe "oomph" too them?. They lack that deeper bassy sound. Really hard to explain what i am saying. I know it's unfair to use other games as a comparison but GSC2012 sounds great on the curbs as does iRacing and NetKar. I really like iRacings

2. FONismo

FONismo Registered

A couple of hotlaps i did in iRacing and i think it shows the sounds quite well. Radical video inpaticular sounds great. Note how different each curb sounds aswell depending on amount of car and speed is touching the curb, different sound each time. Even SHIFT2 had amazing curb sounds. GSC2012 the curb sounds differ from each type of car, pretty cool, an open wheeler riding the curbs sounds different to as closed car.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2013
  3. O11

O11 Registered

Yes.

4. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

Might be just the video...but to me iRacing sounds worse than rF2 I mean the curbs don't have any "oomph" or maybe I just don't hear it.

5. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Well i did say i was struggling to find a word to describe it, so oomph was wrong :D No way does rF2 sound good on the curbs, it's really bad. Listen to how detailed the curbs are here in this video. Turn it up loud. At 38 secs under braking, listen to how different it sounds in comparison to when he is flat out hitting the curbs

6. Abriel Nei

Abriel Nei Registered

To me all those curbs sound very flat, nice curbs like an extension of the road. And the sound is like buzzing of a bee :)
    rF2 has pretty good sounds IMO:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPZxNq__ZOc

But to each his own I guess.

7. tjc

tjc Registered

I have to say Nismo, I didn`t really hear the curbs very well in the first two videos but I do hear what your saying about the second video. Quite nice curb sounds in that one and liked the way the sound got deeper and slowed down when the car was slowing down (38 secs under braking)

Sounded good...

I agree with Abriel too though and would say, although I`m sure the curb sounds in rf2, along with many other things, will be improved, they sound reasonably ok to me as they are. Room for improvement by all means but for a wip they sound ok.

8. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

The iRacing curb sounds exactly like when you drive your real car on regular roads and happens to drive on the "grooved" white line (at least we have that here in Sweden) :p I'm not sure how racetrack curbs that are heavier should sound like, but in very high speeds it's possible that iRacing is spot on. I actually like it. But it should have much more bass!

In the rFactor2 video I could barely hear curb sound at all. And I have not really noticed it when I'm driving... I think. Like many other sounds in rF2 it should probably be adjusted. Like tire sounds, I don't hear them at all :p (and no, it should not be neccessary to tweak the sound to hear tires, that should be standard). But as tjc says I think many things still will be improved.

9. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Agreed yes on the sounds being WIP and will possibly be reworked but it's a wish list thread and i wish for better :D. Right now they are just copy and paste sounds from rF1, not good enough IMO, not detailed enough. That video from Abriel proves my point, big difference between the two sims.

Exactly! Note how they sound different at different speeds etc, it has diversity to the sounds and overall sounds far more detailed. Listen as he shaves the speed off, the tone of the curb emulates the speed, really cool. SHIFT2 was also great for curbs and had more bassy sounds. Agree on the tyres aswelll but curbs is a big one for me.

10. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Never thought i would be posting a video of SHIFT2 to show something good. But if you can sit through it, it's worth it. It has some nice curb sounds i think. 1;30 onwards, prefer iRacings but i hope this shows what i mean a bit more about how average rFactors are right now.,

11. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Oh my... That was horrible to watch :( You didn't have to post it, iRacing video was much better, and enough to show us what you meant :(

But I understand. And I agree. Now I want try iRacing again, too!

12. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

They also did a very good job with curb sounds in pCars.

13. FONismo

FONismo Registered

LOL sorry, i did say if you could stomach it. That game could of been so good but it came out so wrong, watching that and the way car moves around is really funny

Yes agreed it also has decent curb sounds

14. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

My goodness,

how can you control that car when the camera is zooming, changing focus, panning and moving around... damn, that racing seat is seriously loose or the driver has some illness to deal with.

I think when they throw away the car physics, and follow the path of the camera, and stick the car underneeth that, the game handles much better.. lol /joke

15. O11

O11 Registered

It's not about the "oomph" of the sound. It's about the sound being in relation to the speed and the load of the car driving over the curbs.
    Like the engine sound quality in LFS was crappy. But it represented the load of the engine very nicely and thus made for an immersive experience (to me).

16. tjc

tjc Registered

lol... :D

17. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Mmmmhhh, I can´t hear any special about curb-sounds in the i-racing nor the SHIFT Vid.
    Curb sound is speed dependend since rF1!
    Maybe it has to sound a little bit more "bassier", but the other games don´t do it better in my opinion.

More bass for the sounds in general would make it better I think, but the curb sounds in rF2 (or rF1)
    are not that bad....

Greets
    Pete

18. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Nope, nothing special there. The OP is comparing saw tooth curb sounds to........? Not even really sure. Anyways, AFAIK rFactor is modder friendly. If you don't like something, make a mod to change it. Sound mods surely are possible. :p

19. haxxprox

haxxprox Registered

here is a video i think which shows really good the curb sounds at rF2 also the slow left one in the 2nd sector is a pretty good example for the speed in that turn (0:55) and how it depends to the sound i think...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEPcA83yeEs

20. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

Really? You must have a different sim than I do or it's somehow setting dependent. I can drive along a curb in rF1/rF2 at 5mph, barely moving, and it sounds the same as it does at 150mph. Have you actually tried that?