Improve handling of multiple cut track incidents

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by MarcoSaupe, Feb 24, 2021.

1. MarcoSaupe

MarcoSaupe Registered

Hi

Now it may be a small issue compared to other things, but since it can ruin a race, I'd like to mention it... Yesterday in a league race another driver hit me, I had to go through the gravel trap (on the outside of a hairpin, so no chance of getting an advantage) - and rF2 assigned me 2 drive trough penalties at once (I had no previous cut). I've heard of similar issues from other drivers before in other races, so it's not an incident that happened only every 5 years...

Code:
    <Penalty et="1954.0">Marco Saupe received Drive Thru penalty, 0s, 0laps for &quot;Cut Track&quot;. Result: penalties=1, 1st=Drive Thru,0s</Penalty>
    <Penalty et="1954.1">Marco Saupe received Drive Thru penalty, 0s, 0laps for &quot;Cut Track&quot;. Result: penalties=2, 1st=Drive Thru,0s</Penalty>
    Incident can be seen at 1:13:00, I'm the Bentley.

Now the track was an addon track (Okayama) so I don't blame rF2/S397 for the cutting detection of the track, but nevertheless I'd suggest that rF2 could handle that better - if a cut was detected, I think any further cut detected within a certain period (0.5-1s) should not count, so that in those circumstances you only get one cut incident, and not multiple drive throughs.

Thanks.

DJCruicky likes this.
  2. Tom Lory

Tom Lory Registered

That's not an rF2 problem. The number of track cuts allowed before a penalty is an adjustable Dedicated Server parameter so it's really up to the admins to configure it sensibly.

3. lagg

lagg Registered

But here the problem is not the amount of cut tracks allowed before to receive a penalty.
    Here the driver receives two penalties in one cut track.

4. smbrm

smbrm Registered

I had an occasion where due to a crash, and then being hit before the whole thing stopped I received 5 drive throughs. This was due to the car bouncing on and off the track between the guardrails several times, and a very low allowed cut track value. While I agree with the principle of keeping the car between the lines; 5 penalties for one incident after it’s basically out of your control seems over zealous.

5. MarcoSaupe

MarcoSaupe Registered

Our Server is set to give a penalty after 5 cuts, which means I got between 10 and 14 cuts in that scene...

6. Tom Lory

Tom Lory Registered

Crazy, we've had maybe three drive-through penalties assessed in ~16 months of championship racing with very few if any tracks used twice (that's about 138 official races at least 60 different tracks) all for repeated egregious wheels off on multiple laps. I'm not sure what we have track cuts set to at the moment but I expect that it's between 3 and 10 (I'm pretty sure that we tweaked it for a 60 minute race where the boundary was too punitive and it's probably back to default now due to a server fix that included new JSONs).