SOLVED IMPORTANT Logitech G29 Wheel Issues

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Hans Tesmo, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Make sure you set it to "Apply persistent profile" in Options -> Global Profiler Settings

*Or, if you've deleted all your profiles, it won't let you choose that option - that should work too

*Sorry, I didn't realise this was the G29/920 thread.

2. PuffyDR

PuffyDR Registered

Just bought this game and found this bug. It was reported almost 2 years ago, and still not fixed..?
    I planned to play this with my Oculus Rift, and seeing as there is another bug here where you cannot ALT-TAB while in HMD mode, I could not minimize the game to change the G29 wheel range in Logitech Gaming Software either. That in effect made me have to friggin restart the game every time I wanted to change car...

Good to see customer issues are a top priority at studio 397.

Needless to say, I refunded this crap.

3. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Good riddance.
    Running in windowed mode allows easy access to Logitech Gaming Software.
    My fellow simmer has been racing for over two years problem free with a G29.

4. lagg

lagg Registered

Instead ALT+TAB, you have to use Windows+D to access the Desktop. And from the desktop you can use ALT+TAB or use the mouse to change the app with the focus.

5. PuffyDR

PuffyDR Registered

Ok, so there are workarounds to get the workaround to work :rolleyes:
    Maybe I'll give this a shot again later, as the feeling of the game was quite good. However after a night with alot of swearing, I'll stick with AC a bit more for now.

Still though, @ceecee . How can you call this "problem free" when there are workarounds you have to do every time you select a car with a different wheel range?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  6. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Ok, touche ! ;)
    rFactor 2 (being in redevelopment for a year now by S397 owner Marcel Offermans who was involved in rFactor 1) has a lot of quirks.
    This is why we get together here in order to help each other make our racing experience work.
    The small development team is now busy tuning the game and will probably have a very long priority list.
    Sure, it needs a lot of patience and many things are not logical but the forum is very supporting and we somehow together solve our problems.
    The reason why ?
    Because I (and probably most on this forum) believe the driving experience of rF2 is unsurpassed by any other race game.
    But yeah, patience and learning to fiddle is a big requirement here.
    For this we get day and night racing, real road, endurance, weather (with rain being worked on) and many other parts presently not available in any other race game.
    My apologies for my reply though, I do hope you give it another try and requesting help on this site (populated by some real experts going back to rFactor 1) should get you up and racing.
    But.....a lot of patience is really required, we all believe we will get there one day :)

7. Mister Bronze

Mister Bronze Registered

Just to add to @ceecee

I am a G920 owner and having to log out and back in (I don't run windowed) is a pain in the backside but it is worth it when you get down to the driving and racing. The options are all there and there are many mods and tools that can enhance and fill gaps. BUT it is a lot of fiddling.

S397 will be bringing out a new UI 'soon' and I beleive are looking to make rF2 into a more rounded and 'user friendly' experience. Keep it on your wishlist and pick it up in another sale. rF2 will get it's hooks into you in some way if you scratch beneath the surface. Not saying it will necessarily be the only sim you will play, certainly not at the moment, but there are good times to be had in it.

ceecee likes this.
  8. PuffyDR

PuffyDR Registered

Well, I appologize for my first comment here, I guess. I was a bit hot headed as I did not expect it to be this clunky to get to work decently. When I finally seemed to be close, I found this bug aswell, googled it and found out that it was a long known thing that was not prioritized.

Like I mentioned above, I definitely felt the gameplay itself was really quite good (probably the best I've tried). Which we all know is one of the most important things in a sim, so it's got huge potential. I'll keep it on my wishlist, and probably re-visit it later ;)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    ceecee and Mister Bronze like this.
  9. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Registered

this issue, in combination with the bizarre VR behaviour where the game shows a full screen window that's always-on-top, makes it very hard to enjoy RF2. I can't change my G29's rotation without exiting the game because the stupid RF2 VR window thing is always on top so I can't access anything if I try to alt-tab.

I have to set up the wheel for a car I want to drive outside of VR, fiddling with the rotation to get it to match. Then I can launch the game in VR and actually play, but if I decide to drive a different kind of car I have to start the process again. I know it sounds quite lazy of me, but I have almost no time for gaming these days so it's really important that stuff 'just works' without delays and faff, so when ever I'm tempted to play RF2 I just end up giving up after a few minutes of fruitless faffing

TheMattyOnline and Hans Tesmo like this.
  10. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Exactly this!
    If you play in window/borderless its slightly less annoying as you can alt tab to the LGS and alter it on the fly.
    If you use full screen mode in VR you are stuffed.
    It's not crippling, just hugely annoying.

Given the time this has been known about on the G29 / G920 my instinct tells me that there is no simple fix.
    The fact that NO other sim/game has this problem tells me it is a simple fix.

As far as I can tell, its one of two options.

1) The team at S397 are unable to resolve the issue.
    2) There are so few G29/920 owners out there that it's considered so far down the priority list that it won't get fixed.

Either way, its a PITA :p

11. lagg

lagg Registered

Have you tried the Windows+D option instead the ALT+TAB?
    It works for me.

12. Ciccina2016

Ciccina2016 Registered

So guys, to all the ones were not able to force the degree of rotation from the Logitech Wheel profiler.
    I finally got this working.
    1- delete any profile related to RFactor.
    you should get something like this
    upload_2018-4-22_11-32-12.png

2- then go to options and make sure on tab profile both options are set to Default Profile.
    For some reasons, it was pointing to Assetto Corsa, so although the light was on default profile , the sofware was using Assetto Corsa settings ...

upload_2018-4-22_11-33-3.png

13. I have been using your tip for quite some time and for most part it works quite well... That is until I tried Simtek GT3 mod on Adelaide.
    For some reason that mod seem to disregard not only the above tip but also any ingame setting of wheel range for my G920.
    Apex mod, S397 GT3 dlc... every other I tried worked with the above except for Simtek. So any idea would be appreciated.

Another issue aswell is that I cannot, while in game, tab out or use the Windows key to adjust say Logitech profiler. I can choose another program but keeps RF2 in the foreground. Full screen or windowed doesn't matter.

14. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Registered

Aug 2016 :D
    In other words: bump.

15. DanielK

DanielK Registered

I dont know if it’s been mentioned yet but instead of tabbing out and playing with settings in the profiler, you can just set the desired lock in the controls options, ie in the pit menu just jump across to control settings, then on the steering input box just turn your wheel to match the car’s full lock left, click the L button, turn to match full lock right, click R, done. The only difference is that you will be able to keep turning the wheel when the ingame wheel hits the steering stop, which doesn’t bother me at all.

Edit: I race in VR and this is very helpful, all I need to do is lift the headset to look at where my wheel is positioned when setting the lock. Not ideal for sure but much easier than what some other people are going through.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  16. Hans Tesmo

Hans Tesmo Registered

Update
    rF2 Dev's finally and officially started today (after 2 years and one month since reporting) to take care and to actually work on the persistence wheel rotation issue that exists with the Logitech G29 and the Logitech G920. Lets hope that they hold their words and actually fix it. Fingers crossed.

17. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

How do you know?

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

19. claudiopolez

claudiopolez Registered

Hallelujah! :)

20. Palmy

Palmy Registered

Thanks for the hard work but when you think that we owners of the G29 can also start to enjoy this unique and fantastic sim? thank you
    translated with google translator