Import GMT2 v2 for 3ds MAX

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mario Morais, Apr 27, 2013.

1. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

I wasn't going to post here again, as I think I made my point and it was understood. It is not up to me to beat you into submission. Whether you choose to alter things or keep them the same is up to you to decide. I must commend you on the path taken thus far. Well done.

What about Peter Holt? I don't know if his contribution was substantial, or even what would constitute substantial.

Another option was to include credits in a readme, which would help explain exactly what version of max this was for, and what exactly it does. For a bit there I wondered why it wouldn't open rf2 GMTs. Then it dawned on me that it is to open rf1 GMT and swap over the materials to be compliant with rf2. :p

Site was down here too, So I've yet to see the changed version. But there still might be a sticky legal situation regarding restricting access/requiring registration for something that appears to be a shared copyright. In my brief once over search results I came upon this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whelan_v._Jaslow
    and this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broderbund_v._Unison

Certainly jurisdiction comes into play but I'd think that courts around the globe would rule similarly. Those rulings, perhaps, don't apply, and the ruling of copyright of something else like CSS or a HTML page is more apropos. I'm not a lawyer, so the route I'd take is to sidestep the issue all together.

If one were to create a program to modify the original script injecting only the parts that you scripted yourself, one could do whatever they want with said program. It is plainly obvious to the end-user that the original script is a prerequisite, and thus the credit is not necessary to be given. Furthermore, you can restrict access to the program by whatever means willed. And, charge as much $ as you want. It is by all rights solely your IP that you are selling and distributing.

The same concept can be applied to converted cars and tracks from other games. Obviously distribution of an outright conversion is forbidden, but there is nothing to say you can't script a program to: Open the files required from an install/disc, Extract what is necessary as a base, Open each individual file and inject things strictly your IP/copyright, and leave a nice packaged copy ready to play. This is what happened with N2K3 physics alterations, and whilst not enough to keep the creator of such exe from being sued, did result in his favor. IIRC iracing settled out of court, and purchased the rights to the program created. If you look at the outcome, not only was creating a program to patch on the good side of the law, it was enough on the good side to force ir's hand where they needed to settle out of court in order to avoid countersuit. If there is any precedent to follow on what is acceptable conduct in the community, that is a situation to look at. Another situation is sort of the other side: The creator of the Open Wheel exe mod for n2k3 distributed the n2k3 exe with changes, was sued, and lost. Somewhere in the middle of those two situations is a defined line between right and wrong.

cheers,
    lp

2. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

i'm not selling the plugin and i'm not charging for the plugin distribution. i'm just giving it as a gift to my supporters.

For your type of discourse and how you decrypt the script I suppose you will not use my version of the script. If it uses your conscience will not let you sleep.

3. Ha3aP

Ha3aP Registered

Your site does not work :(

4. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Site/DL not working from here too - Austria :(

5. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Yes is down here to (portugal) I already made contacts to solve the problem.

6. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

if someone need any download link i can post here.

7. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Now i know the reason why the site is down.

The server was being abused by hackers (DDoS) attacks. :(

Maybe today will be ready.

8. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Mario,

The script keeps locking up on me. By checking the debug box, what does that do? Is a trace log produced or any other information that might get to the bottom of this? Also is this script compatible with Max 2012?

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2013
  9. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

If Debug is checked the output go to Listener (f11). The default unchecked the script generate a log file with all material information for each folder.
    About Max 2012 compatibility need someone to test it but need to use the standard material editor.

Edit: Try to set material editor to Compact mode.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2013
  10. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Will do, thank you.

11. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Some info about script.
    The script only convert shaders that are in the file "rf2Shaders_list.txt". The list contains only the most common shaders. When ISI changes the shader order must change to in "rf2Shaders_list.txt".

To know the Shader position enable Macro Record and select the shader open Listener (f11) and can see the Shader position number.

Position | ShaderName | Description
    "11, L2BumpSpecT0, Bump Map Specular T1"

12. dradecki

dradecki Registered

So does this script also import RF1 gmt's?

13. Bink

Bink Registered

14. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

The script ONLY import RF1 gmts. (GMT2 is rf1 version)

15. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Mario, glad to see your sight is back up. Unfortunately the link to the ImportGMT appears to point to your gMaterial script. Any chance I could get a link to your newest version?

Thanks in advance

16. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Link Fixed and a new version 1.1b

+ If MAX is 2011 version or greater the script change MaterialEditor to Compact mode.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2013
  17. dradecki

dradecki Registered

Great, thank you again.

18. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

For those using the old script a small correction.

Is missing CARPAINT.GFX so the DX9 shaders names will be wrong.

find the text "fn ReadShaderNames="
    in line 44
    Code:
    shaderFiles=#("bumpmap.gfx","cubemap.gfx", "diffuse.gfx", "specular.gfx")
    add "CARPAINT.GFX" after "bumpmap.gfx".

the new line
    Code:
    shaderFiles=#("bumpmap.gfx","CARPAINT.GFX","cubemap.gfx", "diffuse.gfx", "specular.gfx")

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2013
  19. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

20. Banger

Banger Registered

thanks Mario, yes I did see ur message, I sorted it now (I missed the section on uwv - spline mapping tutorial), getting to hasty:)