Image Space Incorporated Exclusive Interview

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Woodee, Mar 19, 2016.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yeah that's true. It seems currently we give the most benefit to endurance racing more than anything else, and modding group activity reflects that too.

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

There is nothing wrong with that. Remember how much extra life NR 2003 got? It already was king for ovals and North American racing. Redline GTP was the choice of worldwide endurance racing. NR 2003 had hundreds of tracks developed for it which then were converted to rF1, and even rF2. Usually the packaged series games were the main contributors of content. GPL and NR 2003 with their hundreds of tracks. F1C had a lot of content developed to it instead of entirely converted. GT Legends and GTR 2.

Modern WEC may be difficult given certain technologies that the game doesn't have, but there are highly desirable cars that if made with a few buddies, and fitting tracks, can bring more and more people. A couple of late 1980's Group C cars, with a couple more built with a modding partner. The 2003 Bentley with one or two buddies. 5 tracks that were on the endurance calendar. Cars no longer in competition, with less tech, and possible more willingness of once involved engineers to contribute with information.

Anyway, I am coming off as a preacher to the converted. You, of all people (to the uninformed, his background dating back more than a decade), know all of that and more so I am just rambling, apparently :p.

3. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

That's exactly it. And what I dislike more about sims nowadays.
    You have either devs who use DLC and don't improve their game at all or the ones that could improve and be a more complete experience but don't go DLC that could support them to do this.
    People (me included) expect this because of the previous tittles IMO. Like you see GTR2... it made me expect a lot more from the future, "from today", when I drove it for the first time.

4. 88mphTim

Basically for the same reason as the lack of damage implementation currently. You're not supposed to be running over the grass, etc, like you're not supposed to be crashing. Although this can be endlessly debated, I don't think pickup actually makes that much difference and in some series a single turn can throw off any pickup dirt, grass or marbles. I'd not consider it worth the effort compared to the realroad elements that do exist, where you have reduced grip off the racing line, allowing you to feel how hard it can actually be in real life to overtake off the racing line.
    Oh, I see what you mean. You can adjust a few, as for why it's not implemented, it's pretty taxing for systems to run the physics realtime (on CPU) and from lookup tables as-is. We'd probably begin to lose lower end systems or have to take physics processing down a notch at this point. I think this is something you'll see in a future version of isiMotor, when lower end users have more likely upgraded, more than you'd ever see in rF2 in any big way. There are some hardware limits we try to work to.
    I've never used it, but AFAIK most mods don't implement it. Not even sure if we do. Can't give a decent answer on this except to say that I think there is a player.json entry to turn it on, but I never tried.
    We are indeed, we have a few that we can do actually, but I think I have to say I don't know if they'll all come out from first party releases. My plan in the next few weeks is to try to seriously look at a few modders and maybe hand them licenses I'm worried we might lose to time. In some cases I might have to give them to modders who charge, but won't do that with any that we've announced we'll make. I'm talking about unannounced cars.

We added a text notification to tell you when your lights are on or off ages ago I think?

I've always been pretty direct when asked. As much as possible, anyway. Nothing against those who have done Q&As with us, but they usually ask questions that demand vague answers. Then again, most of the time when asked a question, it can be something that is fluid anyway, so a solid answer is also difficult. This is actually a time when I can probably be more and more solid on things as we go forward, as Gjon says yes/no to things for certain and we KNOW they'll be in rF2 or not.

5. 88mphTim

We'd need to license tech from someone else to allow you to properly fight with the driver who spun you out though.

6. 88mphTim

If you mean energy recovery, be aware that doing a 2016 GP car would mean something there.

Unfortunately, total opposite with Bentley. ZERO data from them directly. That's why you don't have it yet.

7. Flaux

Flaux Registered

I love these Q&A's after a Q&A. Thx for taking the time Tim.

8. 88mphTim

Building an engine AND a sim ontop of it is very hard, time consuming and ultimately, it appears, less appreciated. Packaged software titles with content, with smaller steps in the engine itself per-product seem to go down better with consumers. Maybe "not rF3" will help ISI to emerge as the quality content producer it is, in the minds of some of those people.

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I do get the sentiment, indeed you are right if you deem it not worth the effort. I see it as an addition showing off realroad, so that is where we might differ in opinion about effort to implement or not. You are also not supposed to build unrealistic set-ups, yet you can blow up the brake discs or the engine. This is what made me reply in the first instance. You explain something with a reason, but taking the same reason, you start seeing some inconsistencies with that explanation in other things. That might be cause for understandable frustration among the userbase I think.
    I never gave performance a seconds' thought to be fairly honest but yes, I'm sure it will come at a cost indeed. However, since iRacing (hate to point to another title to make my point) has it since the Williams, it just struck me as odd to there is seemingly not enough priority given to this to be able to implement it, even for lower end users. I will look forward to any future of isiMotor though ;)

Fair enough
    A lot of people will be happy about that I think!

Adding a message, sure thing, that was introduced long ago, however is besides the point if you ask me ;)

Much appreciated sir :)

10. argo0

argo0 Registered

Yeah, thanks for taking this extra time Tim. Appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

To me rF2 is the closest of being "the complete thing" we've been expecting. But under current way it won't happen any time soon and this is boring.
    I hope the "not rF3" will be this then, adding this to my list of expectations together with Reiza 2017. And who knows maybe even P Cars 2 could be good if they learned with their mistakes.

12. 88mphTim

You guys are welcome. I'm possibly not going to respond again today. The wife went out and took the kids, so I might enjoy myself by playing a computer game. :)

13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

hahahaha!!

14. sg333

sg333 Registered

Thanks Tim :)

15. pmarin

pmarin Registered

rFactor 2 is fantastic, and it is great as a platform, but IMHO one of the things that ISI or the community should address is the visibility that great mods need to try to make it the "complete package" that many are asking for.

It is easier said than done, but I imagine a site where if you are interested in, for example, DTM, it would recommend the best cars and tracks available from different sources, which are known to be of the best quality, and that would make a great and more or less complete series. Add info on WIP tracks or cars that would complement that series even more, and you might get nice visibility of what is needed and what to expect down the road. Different modding groups could get involved and help with a common goal, generating a much needed synergy.

There is a lot of content around, some great, some not, but it takes a lot of work and some trial and error to find the best, and great content "disappears" in older forum posts. I'm not saying that it is impossible to grab all the content yourself and try it all out to make your own series, but the community would benefit as a whole with a good database that suggests what works best and what is of top quality, so that we can spend more time racing and less time in the forums :)

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've GOT IT....it's a Space Racing Simulator :D

That'll be Elite then :D Thanks Tim for the responses today :)

17. tjc

tjc Registered

Id put a tenner on Elite... (I must get that)

Yeah, thanks Tim. :)

18. Traveller

Traveller Member

I think "not rF3" is something completely different from a racing game. Say, something like "gFactor" or "rGolf", which has "RealGreens" technology.

19. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I stopped reading :p.

ps: I did have an idea about the car, I was asked about interest in painting teams. It is exciting to see software "forcefully" developed to allow for stuff. Kunos had to do it for some hyper cars. Energy recovery and hybrid would lend itself to WEC in rF2 world.

20. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Any mention about VR in the interview? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk