If you are experiencing a strong noise/rattle with your controller...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Michael Juliano, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

...such as the G25/G27 you can try increasing this value in your Userdata/player controller.ini file (if you saved your own profile you would have to change it there as well):

Steering torque filter="0"

The range is from 0 to 32.

This will filter the FFB effect over a series of frames, which will smooth out the feedback and reduce the rattle. Please note that as you increase this value the FFB may start to feel a bit "spongy" or "numb" and that it will increase latency.

The reason you don't feel/hear this rattle in many other sims is because they by default provide some filtering. By default we do not.

The value you set this to will be down to personal preference. If it feels good to you, and the rattle/noise is acceptable, then go for it. We did some testing locally and came up with some different values.

One of our internal testers felt 4 was good.
    Luc settled on a value of 8. He felt any higher felt to numb for him.
    I personally like 16. I could still feel the car, catch it when it got loose, it didn't affect my lap times at all, and I didn't perceive any latency, neither visually nor in feel. Yes, it did feel more on the numb side, but after a few laps I found I liked it actually.

So, give this a try and see if you can find something acceptable...

Edit: Please note this is not a permanent solution, but hopefully will get you to something acceptable for the time being...

2. 6e66o

6e66o Registered

Thanks for the suggestion scott.
    I will definitely try this.

I´m just wondering though,
    wouldn´t it make more sense to use different (better) bump values for curbs/gravel/etc. instead of filtering the ffb?

I mean,
    it´s not only the disturbing sounds some wheels make,
    i would also argue that the shaking of the wheel over curbs itself is a little overdone.
    I think the relation between "ffb on the road" and "off track ffb" is not balanced very well

Just my opinion :)

3. Brian Clancy

Brian Clancy Registered

Thanks Scott!

your efforts are appreciated :)

4. Marcel van der Linden

Marcel van der Linden Registered

Thnx for the testing. I also having a lot of trouble with the g27 wheel. I used the realfeel plugin in rf1 and that was great. I felt the behaviour of the car. Now i dont feel anything except the bumps and curbs. I dont feel any wheel resistance when the back comes out.

Does the realfeel plugin works with rf2?

5. mc0676

mc0676 Registered

He Scott, it depend to the car in use too.
    For example with the F1 67 i can use easily that value to 4 without problem, in SPA.
    But if i use Megane in Portugal then i must use 8 or 16.
    The feeling until 8 is good, over 8 in my opinion is not good.

6. Michael Juliano

The only faked bumps are off road. The bumps you feel going over curbs are geometry based, and the scale of the teeth is realistic to real world values. Now, that said, yes we can soften the grass up so it doesn't feel so hard. But, for a short term solution if you just can't take the noise, or it's disturbing your significant other then this might help :)

7. Michael Juliano

Understood...

8. Jose Casanovas

Jose Casanovas Registered

I agree with u Marcel van Linden.

9. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

RealFeel doesn't work with rF2 as far as I know. When I tested the Steering torque filter, I found that 8 resulted in something I'm used to feel in rF1 with RealFeel. It's user preference really.

10. Brian Clancy

Brian Clancy Registered

Yup Luc

I have found 8 works very well, reduces the 'clatter' but no obvious latency and a really nice feeling!

I will carry on playing with the settings, but a good useable fix, thanks guys :)

11. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Important

Remeber you have to Reselect the profile for it to apply the new .InI file changes

If you simply change the .InI it will have no effect in the game unless you reselect the profile.

Just retesting everything now , still seems that if I up the Steering torque filter its a large detriment to the other FFB feel evan at low numbers.

Having a reduced canned grass vibrate would be very good for G25/G27 users :) ( and will stop my Gf from going mental at me ) defintly good if it can be kept high for people with belt driven wheels mind you.

Lol Rf2 is Exactly like Rf1 in that you spend 70% of your time messing with PLR files Ini Files FFB and Car setups and then 30% of actual driving. Saying that as this is the beta maybe for gold launch locked down garentied to work settings will be defulted into the game when players select there wheel making the game more acomidating to new simracers.

12. Michael Juliano

That's the idea--we REALLY want to get this sort of thing sorted before the first "gold" release, so all the input now is much appreciated...

13. Spyder

Spyder Registered

Presumably this applies to other wheels too? I am using Fanatec GT3 and GT2s and the vibrations and noise of my rig shaking are too much for me too!!

14. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

yah personaly i think the response to sharp suspention shock should be toned down a bit i like having the bumps but there is difintly as limitation in consumer FFB wheel hard ware where very sudden large jolts of FFB can overide the core car phisics FFB.

In a real car you feel FFB with your ASS where as a sim has to convay ass feel through the wheel ( granted big bumps are part of ass feel ) but as you have no other "feel" refrence for grip/side ways slip its more functional to primerly use FFB for overall car handaling rather than road texture.

Saying that RBR and Net car Pro to me have the balance just right where there is light rumble for track texture but the majorty of the feel represents car movment , grip and slip.

15. Marcel van der Linden

Marcel van der Linden Registered

Just what i feel to!

16. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

Just to add my 2 cents here:

Even the bumps in the grass and gravel are a reasonable size. As Scott points out, the deficiency in the model is that they are not 'soft' yet. It's more like you're hitting an asphalt surface that is the shape of a raked gravel trap. In other words, bumpy AND hard as a rock. The rest of the system that contributes to FFB (the contact forces deforming the tire carcass and sending forces through the sidewall to the rim, which in turn sends forces through the suspension and steering rack to your hands) is working as designed.

One other idea that could help in the future is a power steering system, which in racecars often has a curved profile so that large forces are reduced a bit but small forces still come through clearly. But I think this can largely be mimicked with the controller.ini variable "Steering torque sensitivity". I'm hesitant to recommend this yet, simply because a) I prefer a linear response, and b) it hasn't really been tested in relation to the rattling issue.

17. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I have also feeling that it is question of balancing things. For example I feel bumps/crackles on road very well, I mean correctly or at least useful. But when Megane wheels travel outside of tarmac (over faked bumps) but also on curbs, my G25 goes crazy. I bolded curbs, because since are modelled, shouldn't generate such powerful sensations no steering wheel.
    I could describe such behaviour as too powerful forces on FF generated based on maximum forces in steering rack, while FF forces generated from fine and medium steering rack forces are really OK.

I tried filtering=4 but with no result. I will try 8. but in overall I thing that some dumping/compressing forces should be implemented. Maybe to be a part of car physics (ie dumping by Power Steering servo etc)

best regards

18. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

Sure, it will reduce the vibrations for other wheels as well. But the belt-driven Fanatec wheels are relatively quiet - you'd hear the difference if you put it next to a G27!

19. TechAde

TechAde Registered

I'll throw a couple of pennies into the pot as well...

In the rTrainer.hdv I see a new entry:

NominalMaxSteeringTorque=11 // Maximum steering arm torque to effect force feedback strength

This sounds very much like the old RealFeel MaxForceAtSteeringRack setting.

To me what we're feeling in the steering feels very much like this is set far too low and the forces are basically clipping like crazy, meaning what should be gentle forces are sending our wheels into overdrive.

I've not delved into the non-DevMode files to see what the 60s/Megane/FRenault are set at (if it's even possible), but could it be as simple as that?

20. Alex Sawczuk

Alex Sawczuk Administrator Staff Member

I presume the Torque filter is based on physics frames rather than graphics frames right?

Also I'd agree with Ade that it feels like there's a lot of clipping in the FFB to me too.