[REL] iDT Champcar World Series 2007-2008 - Panoz DP-01 - Conversion

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Chris Lesperance, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Oof.... well that was a heart attack and a half.

I recently did a desktop - recycling bin clean. Some place I had the old rfcmp of the mod (Initial release, update #1 etc). One of those I had the correct collision gmt. I think I deleted those accidently with that clean.

I also did a hard drive to SSD swap about a month ago which would have still had those. Plugging in my old HD to find the rfcmp and it completely crashed my PC. It really messed up the boot files and every solution I tried, wouldn't fix it. I ended up having to reset the PC, which kept my files, but removed all non-Microsoft programs. Luckily my games are on a separate drive, so nothing is deleted. But I have to reinstall Steam and reconnect up everything. I think I am almost back to where I was at. I have time this evening to edit the file again, which is what I should have done yesterday.

In some ways, it's kinda nice as I think there was a few corrupted things going on. But reworking everything is rough. So give me another day to work on this and hopefully we'll be good to go.

David Short, Hazi and Manfredk2 like this.
  2. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Hope everything works out ok for you. TIA

I think I read somewhere that RF2 is generating a collision file by itself if there is none present?!

3. lagg

lagg Registered

4. elbo

elbo Registered

The mirror adjustments work in mine (VR also)...I had a mirror adjustment problem with another mod (supercars I think) and it turned out that deleting the player.json file fixed the problem...maybe something to try here.

5. David Short

David Short Registered

Thanks Elbo will give it a try.

6. Chris Lesperance

Couple things:

Collision - I don't think I need to remove it. There is one that was with the mod. It was off set too low and too forward. It should be corrected now if I can test it

Mirror - Mirrors are moveable but I'm not sure how to move each one independently. What is the key for that?

I'm still sorting through my game - HD issue. For some reason it is taking forever to open. It always took a long time for me, but it is taking even longer now.

7. David Short

David Short Registered

Hi Chris

Found my problem. Checked the mod update number and it was version 0.96 not your latest 0.97 version. I have auto updates enabled so checked the workshop and strangely I wasn't even subscribed to the mod in workshop but it was somehow in my car list in game. Pressed subscribe and it downloaded latest version and voila ver 0.97 in game and mirrors working. I swear at times rFactor 2 seems to be a living breathing organism thats prone to mood swings.The key for moving Left and Right Mirrors independently are Ctrl + seat move(left) and Alt +seat move (right) in info box will say left or right mirror parameter.

Thanks again!!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  8. Chris Lesperance

I just uploaded the update. I was able to adjust both mirrors individually with this. So hopefully it'll work for you. Hopefully the bottoming out issue is fixed as well.

Let me know if there are any issues

sg333, Hazi, pkelly and 1 other person like this.
  9. David Short

David Short Registered

Tried it at Road America seemed fantastic to me! Ran AI at 100% and the lead cars and I were lapping around 1.41.** to 1.43.**'s same as the real 2007 Champ car race there and replays looked fine from what I saw.

Thanks for the update!

Chris Lesperance likes this.
  10. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

Issue at Watkins Glen seems also to be solved. Great work, Chris :) The Champcar is an excellent car

Chris Lesperance likes this.
  11. Chris Lesperance

Thanks guys! Sorry for the delay in fixing it. @David Short question for you. I know some people have mentioned that the AI has been really fast. I've noticed this. I think I'm running 97% and they are miles ahead of me. I've also noticed that the AI seems to have more grip than the player car. It could be a set up thing, and I know I'm not the best driver. Are you using the default setup? I know I need to tweak the default set up but I'm not sure what to do or change. Just wondering if I could use your set up as the default?

12. David Short

David Short Registered

Hi Chris

Would love to contribute to this mod in anyway I can. Personally I think the AI is pretty much spot on which is why this mod is so good. People have commented on the new Road America mod that the AI is too fast but on 100% AI its only slightly faster than the Champ cars ran there in real life. Due to the fact IMO that the AIW path through the carousel is near perfect most other RA mods don't get that part right and you can blast past cars there. On Portland I had to bump AI to 107% to have a competitive race. So different track AIW's will effect AI's speed so people should adjust settings accordingly.

As for the set up. Every one has different driving styles and preferences on car setup. But on open wheel cars there are a couple tweaks that I usually make before I even drive them for the first time.

Tires: I usually use the softest depending on race distance in this case the alternates and drop the air pressures to the lowest(103kPa). This appears to be a known advantage/hack in rF2 but I was doing this here and in other sims before I knew that.

Suspension: This IMO is the most important change to get the most out of the car. I find that almost all open wheel default setups have a lot of oversteer. Which is why people complain that the car snap spins at the slightest touch of the throttle. Its also the reason people feel that the AI is too fast or has to much grip because its hard to get on the power out of corners if your fighting oversteer.

Anti-Sway or Anti-Roll bars I've increased the front from 105 to 114 and decreased the rear from 88 to 48 for Road America on slower tracks with tighter turns and slow speed corners I would probably increase the rear 1 click or 2.

Brakes: This is subjective and based on the fact that my brake pedal setup is extremely stiff with limited travel like F1 cars. I usually drop the max pressure in car setup a couple clicks to avoid the possibility of unwanted lock ups.

Obviously there are tonnes of other changes you can make but this setup should give a nice drivable base to start. Change gearing for different tracks so that you never hit the limit until the end of the longest straight or if you aren't maxed out on the longest straight shorten the gears until you are. Give it a try and see if you like it. Another Tweak that seems to improve the feel of FFB in all rF2 cars is to increase the Caster settings(not sure what effect it has on times will test that)

How to get the most out of a Champ Car. If Indycars and F1 cars where the same I probably would just drive F1's but the differences make them both fun and challenging. Old school Champ/Indy cars are a lot heavier than old school F1 cars a lot less nimble in corners and harder to correct if you miss your braking points and apexes so lots of time to be lost here. You'll often hear on Indycar telecasts Paul Tracy saying that the chasing car is trying to square him up coming out of the corners. Indycar being a point and shoot type of car. So you have to brake far earlier in Indycars. At braking point Start with full brakes when you still have maximum downforce in as straight of a line as possible Slowly releasing (trail braking) to avoid lockups as you lose downforce. Ideally you should be off the brakes as you start to make your turn in to hit the apex which then should allow you to get on the power earlier coming out of corners.

Sorry for the novelette seems my mojo ran wild there:rolleyes:. I'm sure a lot of this is common knowledge but hopefully it can help some get maximum enjoyment out of this great mod.

Cheers

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Eric Rowland, atomed, Hazi and 3 others like this.
  13. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Great thread, I agree and do find that the default setups for most Cart mods to over-steer and understand why someone would bail quickly.

Usually have to raise the diff coast ramps to prevent loosing the back end when letting off (been up to 67 on cart 98) lower the springs, and pressures in the rear (lower than the front considerably) Creating an under-steering setup.
    Then once you learn the tracks key areas you can start to loosen the car up in small steps to increase lap times.

I still use cart 98. Fixed a few things for my own use:
    -added onboard front and rear sway adjustments
    -minor sound adjustments
    -a few tracks altered just for the mod. (loading screen, AIW pits yellows etc)
    -I removed the rumble strip on the back straight on belle isle making it 98 config

Hazi likes this.
  14. David Short

David Short Registered

One thing that might improve your enjoyment of Cart 1998 without having to change the diff coast and steering settings to make it more drivable:

In 1996 Indycars switched to sequential gearboxes so CART in 1998 had a sequential gearbox negating the need to lift and blip on gear changes.
    This mod seems to have a standard manual transmission implemented. If you turn on auto-clutch and change auto-blip and auto-lift in the player.JSON from false to true it should then drive as they did IRL.

If you haven't already tried this its something you can change quickly to see if you like it better.

Cheers

15. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Oh yes indeed, felt the need for that the first shift. Then looked it up. It was auto lift, the blip was already engaged.

Dont get me started about the IRL..... both series should have never split. fans and circuits should not have had to choose.

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  16. David Short

David Short Registered

My reference to IRL was In Real Life but in a thread about Indy/Champ cars I should have realized it could be easily read as Indy Racing League sorry to bring back those bad memories :mad: lol. I was a CART guy and Tony George was a D**KHEAD but I guess without him we wouldn't have this great Champcar mod;)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    PatientRF2fan, jayarrbee36 and atomed like this.
  17. PatientRF2fan

PatientRF2fan Registered

Too funny, the CART era was awesome and the tracks are incredible to drive. Laguna, Long Beach, Portland, Road America, Michigan, Nazareth and I'm Canadian so Vancouver Toronto too.

Tony George:
    Not his best day in 05!
    The Worst Formula 1 Race: The 2005 United States Grand Prix
    6 of 20 competed

David Short likes this.
  18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Stealing the first combined Indy 500 in 2002 from Paul Tracey was the worst. I was hoping when Penske purchased the track that they would put PT on the Borg-Warner trophy, but then I realized it was a Penske car that got passed. Oh well. Car owner Barry Greene had in-car camera footage that clearly showed Tracey ahead of Helio before the yellow flag light went on in the car. It was shown at the appeal and denied.

David Short likes this.
  19. David Short

David Short Registered

Glad you mentioned it Dave:) I grew up a couple streets away from PT in West Hill so always was a big fan. But didn't want to mention it in my post above as The Chrome Horn...Thrill from West Hill seems to generate some hate:oops: Now that everyones in agreement he won lets get this thread back on topic:p

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    davehenrie likes this.
  20. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered