[REL] iDT Champcar World Series 2007-2008 - Panoz DP-01 - Conversion

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Chris Lesperance, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

2007-2008 Champcar World Series, converted from iDT's rF1 version by Chris Lesperance.
    iDT Champcar World Series 2007-2008 Panoz DP-01 for rFactor2 Conversion

THIS CONTENT CANNOT BE USED FOR COMMERCIAL OR PROMOTIONAL USE WITHOUT WRITTEN LICENSE FROM IDT SIMULATIONS.

V0.96 - 5-15-2020
    - Scratch made tire textures
    - Scratch made the Pi Research display text on steering wheel
    - Edited steering wheel display values. Time is last lap value. Not sure of the value to show current lap time with sector deltas. Let me know if it is possible (example: CART Extreme in AMS)
    - Updated Panoz_DP01_susp.dds (Suspension texture). Higher resolution and made it a wild card (WCEXTRA2)
    - Made the Panoz_DP01_CHASSIS.dds (Floor) texture a wild card (WCEXTRA3)
    - WCEXTRA0 and WCEXTRA1 (camera) I believe is now working with the PBR. Thanks Chief Wiggam
    - Physics improvements
    --- DW12 tbc - More consistant tire performance
    --- Edited some incorrect info
    --- Brake values from my converted Champ Car Lola. Better values than was currently there
    --- Removed the temp boost settings. AI might have been using the extra boost to be faster than player
    --- Raised up the 3d model to 0,0,0. That raised the car up .04 meters. That should stop the bottoming out issue.
    - Some edited sounds from djvicious. More coming soon
    - Remove unsed sounds from Sounds.mas
    - Fixed some issues with the .sfx. (Gear change sounds not working, brake squeal, turbo sound)
    - Added in the "Fantasy" skins from the original rF1 mod
    - Changed some values in the .gen that should help with the CPU usage. It is a lot better, but still might be an issue with high car counts and certain tracks. Please let me know if there are still issues.
    - Template redone with new body lines and carbon textures
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/giocf1ujdnw1a19/iDT_Panoz_DP01_Templates.7z/file

Possible Future improvements
    - Speedometer should be right orientated, not left. Not sure how to change
    - Further Physics Improvements - Suspension, engine, aero
    - Additional sounds from djvicious
    - Driver suit textures
    - Car skins redone utilizing the full PBR
    - UI Icons if S397 releases the tool
    - Need a 3d modeler to edit a few things

V0.95
    - Fixed 07_Rahal2.dds texture
    - Changed the description line in 08_Tracy3.veh and 08_Montagny7.veh, to match consistancy
    - Removed obsolete textures from WIP versions
    - Fixed an issue with the Panoz_DP01_driver_med.gmt where the gloves used the onboard camera texture
    - Combined main.mas, maps.mas, talent.mas into one .mas. This fixes an issue with creating a virtual ride drivers
    - Changed the Category and class from “Panoz DP-01” to “Panoz DP01” to better match consistency
    - Physics HDV update from John R Denman. Thank you again for improving these.

The only things that I think that would need to be done in order to make it a full 1.0 release are:
    UI Icons
    Fully redo driver suits
    Few texture tweaks to get things a bit more high rez.
    Known Issues:

V0.90
    - Physics are converted using redapg rF2 Online-Tools (http://meetme.bplaced.net/rF2_onlineTools/) and using some assets of the ISI Dallara DW12. Physics are not perfect
    - Reports of FFB feeling weak and brake lock up is fairly easy (Not sure how to fix it)
    - Push-to-Pass is not fully implemented in rF2. The car has two boost settings. #1 is normal running, #2 is Push to Pass. Mapping the Temporary Boost button should enable the #2 to be active
    - Model is using the IBL/PBR shaders, but uses the original rF1 textures with the baked on shadows.
    - IBL/PBR can only be done on the WCCARBODY texture. The WCEXTRA texture (onboard camera) might look a little different because the IBL/PBR is not applied
    - UI Icons will come as soon as S397 releases a tool to create them

If you are an rF2 physics person and would like to improve this, please let me know.

Credits:
    All the original iDT staff members. Doug Lynch, Perry Pelonero, Chris Lesperance for the conversion. @Bernd for the model edits and testing. @djvicious for testing and all the people on the studio-397 forums that have suggested things to make it better."

Original Post Below:
    It's a project I started a long time ago. Now with the "shelter in place" and having to stay in with the virus going around, I finally had an opportunity to work on this.

So after the last couple weeks, it is almost release ready.

So just a quick bug report. If someone is able to lend some assistance for these, it would be appreciated.

- Physics - Using the rF1 version as a base, and running through redapg's rf1 to rF2 converter, and using some assets of the DW12, it is something is fun to drive but not perfect. If some one is able to take a look a that?

- IBR/PBR textures - This mod has it applied to the WCCARBODY only. This mod has a second texture for the wings and I can't get the settings to expand to both textures. The 2006 test car actually had a purple clear coat on the carbon fiber with is a PERFECT example of what the PBR can replicate, but I just can't make it happen.

Special thanks to @iDTDoug and the rest of the team that put it together back in the day. @djvicious for some testing.

Link:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2059039663

Templates:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/giocf1ujdnw1a19/iDT_Panoz_DP01_Templates.7z/file

20200401182525_1.jpg 92025677_10158251143088415_1784877890119139328_o.jpg 92344043_10158251142623415_1664876499573932032_o.jpg 20200404014311_1.jpg 20200403235223_1.jpg 20200404112346_1.jpg

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    vava74, DA, MaD_King and 23 others like this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I remember that orange / white demo on the first real car the previewed to the press.

3. atomed

atomed Member

Beautiful.

4. bears

bears Registered

Looks great thanks for your work

5. Chris Lesperance

It's my first official Steam upload, so hopefully I did it right. Release, First Post updated

6. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Good luck with it. The 2005-2006 idT Champ Car mod had suspension geometry layout accurately modeled to the Lola B02/00. Aero drag was a bit excessive probably due to the shape of the front wings that caused an "overlap" factor for drag.

The 2007 iDT version of the Panoz DP01 seemed to be a bit wonky geometry wise, and despite that they actually handled pretty good IMO.

I'll give your a go and let you know.

Thanks for your effort!

Eric Rowland likes this.
  7. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

That didn't take long. Indeed it does very much remind me of the rF1 mod, even retained many of the same default settings. Always like Servia's blue/orange/silver car, and it looks fabulous!

I spent most of the day driving various IndyCars at Long Beach today so I used that track. Ran a few laps, than did some basic setup and so far I'm very pleased!

FFB felt fine and no issues with locking brakes using a Fanatec.

Will spend some time with it through the week testing the odd bits like boost/engine life, tires etc.

Thanks again!

Eric Rowland likes this.
  8. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

OK did more testing today learned a few things to think about.
    While the car never raced at Indy, I tried it anyway for kicks. Could use a little taller set of ratios. Maybe not for Indy but definitely for other tracks it never raced on (but some will) like LeMans or the Ring. It did race at Spa, and it drove pretty well there.

Steering is heavy at low speeds not too bad at higher speeds. Like I said earlier the original iDT suspension was a bit wonky, and it's due in part to the increased scrub radius of the front suspension. That could be a replica of the original suspension or just an artifact they didn't quite get right. (Its also possible that spacers ranging from 1/4" to 1" were in use by some teams as the track width was a bit narrow on some of the technical courses, and that would explain the scrub radius offset. Elan Motorsports did offer a few different stud lengths for that purpose.) Caster helps provide a little more feedback and helps the car respond on initial turn-in.

Brakes are just a tiny bit weak on clamping, but not much. The default bias is a bit heavy on the rear, that can be tuned easily.

I haven't done enough testing to comment too much on spring/damper ranges but overall its pretty good so far. I'm glad the in car adjustable anti rollbars were left intact, its a minor annoyance to me that most of the earlier F1 cars never included this feature as it was in just about every Formula car prior to about 2010. That said they were generally an "on/off" feature using a flat beam lever that was rotated 90° so it either stiff or soft.

I've put a copy in Devmod to play with. May make some minor changes to gearing and brakes and possibly a few other things after more testing. I can let you know what I come up with.

atomed, Emery, Eric Rowland and 2 others like this.
  9. Chris Lesperance

Please do. As I mentioned, the physics are not my strong suit. Pretty much fudged numbers to make it work. If there is any improvements you could make to that side, that would be great and I would add in!

There's been a few comments on Steam. I'm not sure if this would point you in any direction for anything:
    jameslee.storey1979 10 hours ago

This mod is off to an amazing start! Well done so far on it, very exciting to watch this one develop.
    AI needs some work, at NOLA at 90%, they are 0.3 faster in sector 1, then sectors 2 and 3 combined they are around eight seconds faster, both in practise and race day.
    Up shifting - The car hops off the track every time you shift up and in top of 5th and 6th gear, there are some strange sounds. Downshifting, absolutely perfect! Beautiful feel, sound and car movement when downshifting.
    Tyres - I can't get the soft's to warm up - 6 laps of NOLA in practise and my tyres remained cold.
    I'm massively excited about this mod and I'm only critiquing because this has the potential to be one of the best mods on workshop! Thank you so much for the work so far! Amazing!

Nissan Man 4 hours ago

I remember this from the rF1 days, one day my brother an i were looking at the physics and realized the fuel tank was behind the car. we moved the position and bam, the car drove as you would think it would. the iDT 1995 indycar mod had the same issue. Take a look, make sure to fuel tank position is where it should be.

atomed and Eric Rowland like this.
  10. LStinziano27

LStinziano27 Registered

I've been waiting for this mod for quite a while. And I'm not dissapointed, I'm really enjoying it so far. My only complaint is the steering feels a bit heavy during turning in, and it's a bit complicated to deal with; Just like it did in the original rF1 mod. I reduced the steering wheel lock by 2 clicks on the garage and that reduces this heavyness to a more tolerable level.

Also, how can I get my car to have chrome rims ? The helmets and suits from the original mod will work on this one as well ?

Finally, Graham Rahal's car from 2007 looks liuke it has some sort of error on its paintjob. Thanks for your work ! I'm already trying to convince some friends to get some races in this mod.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Eric Rowland likes this.
  11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Turn in should be heavy, these cars did not have power steering. Scott Dixon, a Champcar driver, was the guest driver for deFerran Motorsports. He grabbed the pole at Sebring, in part, because he was accustomed to the much higher demands the HPD ARX 02A steering forces. (Due to the large front tires.) So, based on that experience, one should assume the Champcar Panoz required a goodly amount of arm strength.

atomed and Eric Rowland like this.
  12. Chris Lesperance

Looks like i didn't add the wing texture to this one. Sorry about that.

I must have a weaker FFB and brake pedal then. FFB and braking feels just a little easier than what I would prefer. Glad to hear that is just on my end.

As for Chrome rims. I had to make a bit of a sacrifice there. I removed the Upgrade section, but added in for the rims to use the WCRIMS texturing naming. So doing an "altRIMS.dds" would get what ever color you would like. The sacrifice is that the chrome, isn't really shiny. From your screen shot, you can see the #22 car has the silver/"chrome" rims. If there is a demand, I could add chrome rims and then a custom rims, as a selection for the upgrades.

The driver suits are not compatible. This mod is using the rF2 default driver model. So if they are on that, it would work. But the original ones from the rF1 mod does not work. I made a generic color suits. to follow closely to what was uses, but i honestly didn't go too in depth with it.

pkelly likes this.
  13. boxer

boxer Registered

Thanks for the great work Chris been waiting for this for a long time... :)
    I notice the template is different than the skins in the mas file it doesn't include the wings or end plates.

14. LStinziano27

LStinziano27 Registered

It's heavier in the game, not on my G27. It's funny that I had the same issue with this mod on rFactor1, which I never been able to solve. The car is very complicated to turn in: The real steering wheel turns, the virtual steering wheel follows, but apparently the tires take some time to reach that point where they start turning. I solved it with the steering wheel lock, and moving the caster to 6cm helped a lot as well. But after solving that I'm having a blast around Cleveland. The FFB is good for me.

I'll try to start painting tomorrow, to see what I can do. Getting light grey rims is what I intend, and I'm sure I'll be able to pull if off. Thanks !!

15. Chris Lesperance

Damn, those things that you miss when you rush to get it done :) I uploaded the wrong one. Here is the updated one (hopefully). Again a big thanks to @Bernd for doing the remapping

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8840v1ygatn6e9k/panoz_dp01_wccarbody_remapped.7z/file

atomed likes this.
  16. Chris Lesperance

Not to be too much off topic, but I must have changed something for my rF2 to have many real time slow downs. I used this car at NOLA, and it hangs right away. I go back to the garage, and back in game, and it runs for a few laps before the issue arises again.

I'm starting to test a an update HDV. I'm wondering if that is causing an issue, this mod is an issue or I accidentally turned a setting on in rF2. I know there are several hidden ones. I'll post a video later this evening.

Please do a test at NOLA and let me know if I'm crazy or if it could be a bug

EDIT: I started a new .plr file. It seems to initially be working better.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    atomed likes this.
  17. LStinziano27

LStinziano27 Registered

Did a bit of work on the template. hope it's okay. I noticed the car template is the combination of the body and wings templates from the rF1 mod; so, using the wireframe provided by Chris, I placed all the shadows, alpha layer, decals and stuff where they're supposed to be, so now the template is complete. I added a second option for the I placement of the Bridgestone logos of the sidepods, like some cars used during the 2007 season.

https://mega.nz/file/69Y1QASB#sQAy4j901jNn8rl3duH9B5TI5TME0kazM9pgK2x3Mco

[​IMG]

PS: Did a test session at NOLA Indy layout, but I didn't noticed any slowdowns.

pkelly, iDTDoug, atomed and 1 other person like this.
  18. Chris Lesperance

This mod is using the IBL/PBR shaders. So while the skins are from rF1, the shadow layer and alpha for custom cars (or cars being redone *hint hint*) should follow along with the S397 recommendations.

I fixed a few bugs already. John Denman is working on some HDV updates, and it's pretty awesome so far! I'll hopefully have something in the not too distant future.

deceda, pkelly, svictor and 7 others like this.
  19. Chris Lesperance

New update is going up now. I'm really hoping I did it right. Here is the list of fixes and improvements

• Fixed 07_Rahal2.dds texture

• Changed the description line in 08_Tracy3.veh and 08_Montagny7.veh, to match consistancy

• Removed obsolete textures from WIP versions

• Fixed an issue with the Panoz_DP01_driver_med.gmt where the gloves used the onboard camera texture

• Combined main.mas, maps.mas, talent.mas into one .mas. This fixes an issue with creating a virtual ride drivers

• Changed the Category and class from “Panoz DP-01” to “Panoz DP01” to better match consistency

• Physics HDV update from @John R Denman

The only things that I think that would need to be done in order to make it a full 1.0 release are:

• UI Icons

• Full redone driver suits

• Few texture tweaks to get things a bit more high rez.

• AI is still really quick. Not too sure how to slow them down

20. bears

bears Registered

Great work Chris thanks for your hard work