Ideal Temperatures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BeefyPeeg, Jul 20, 2019.

1. BeefyPeeg

BeefyPeeg Registered

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good source for vehicle data such as ideal water, oil, brake, and tire temperatures? Obviously, this will vary by vehicle, tire/brake material, etc., but I would just like a good base line target. Not being a race engineer myself, I have no idea where a good range would be.

Slip_Angel and memoNo1 like this.
  2. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Use Carstat2, it will tell you that information for any car except ones that are encrypted - such as S397's paid DLC.

memoNo1 likes this.
  3. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Sounds intersting. Where can I find Carstat2? Under the Thread Plugins?

4. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

memoNo1 likes this.
  5. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

A good mod.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't work for almost new vehicle.
    But it have a great Potentiel. I hope S397 builds something similiar in the new UI.

6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

no, it cannot access new cars, but, APEX has modeled a large number of GT3 cars, Simtek as well. Those could be looked at and generalities might be assumed.

7. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Carstat 2 is a great tool in my opinion. As suggested above, get it and start looking at cars.
    Yes a shame that we can't see the information on encrypted files such as the new S397 GT cars.

From the many vehicles I have checked in Carstat 2 there seems to be some commonalities.
    Brakes: Most carbon discs seem to have an optimum range somewhere around 350-850 deg.
    Tyres: It seems that all tyres have optimum grip at 100 deg C. its the fall away in grip above and below that temp that varies.
    Oil Temp: Most mods have a maximum safe temp. Where that is set and the cars designed life span has a big impact on how real-life the set can be for endurance racing. Some cars might have optimum oil temp at say 100 and max safe temp at 110 deg. Others might have max safe temp at 120deg and a designed life of 36 hours. In such cases its hard to break that car (esp if max safe revs are 1000rpm higher that the hard limiter) and it takes away an interesting element of setup in terms of risk vs return.
    RPM: Some cars make life too easy with max safe revs well outside a useable range. Over-temp and over rev should in my view cost you some engine life.
    So far it seems that the S397 GT cars are pretty bulletproof. You can run the Porsche GTE on qualifying mix for a 12 hour race without problems.