Ideal Multiview Screen Setup Theory

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blakboks, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

There is nothing magic about multi view option, the more details on screen(s) will result in a fps hit, multi view simply compresses imagine so it appears uncompressed/unstretched across screens this also adds more viewable image at the outsides of the outer sides thus taking pc power

Fps loss between rf2 & iracing Should be comparable if viewable areas are same ( disguarding software engine efficiantlys etc )

2. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I don't believe in magic ;) and I think you may be over simplifying. None of the methods the OP shows on page one could be described as simple compression. My opinion is that ISI uses a 3 camera method.

In my screen shot comparisons I do see a wider scene in the multiview shot. I haven't made a check since build 90 but at that time multiview alone reduced my FPS by about 1/2. That seems extreme for that little amount of extra scenery.

So you're saying iRacing multiview has similar FPS as ISI? I wouldn't know, I've never played it. Sounds like you've not tried it either. If anybody can say for sure it would be nice to know.

EDIT: The comparison of interest to me would be iRacing with and without it's muitiview turned on, if that is possible. Not iRacing multiview vs ISI multiview. That's apples vs oranges.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2012
  3. Niels_at_home

Niels_at_home Registered

Good for there to be a tread on this topic.

What I've learned (it probably is already said in this tread but I haven't read it all)

1) multiview should only be used when you angle the two side monitors towards you. If not, the side monitors will not show a correct image from your point of view

2) Angled side monitors should only be used if you stare straight ahead into the center of the middle screen. If the screen is too high or too low, the two side monitors will display a distorted image. This is often badly done! When you can't get the height right, just use the 3 screens as a huge very wide flat screen, don't angle them in.

3) Angled side monitors and mutliview, don't angle them too much, just enough so that when you look at the center of the side screens, the line from your eyes to the screen should be at a 90 degree angle. Your eye view line should hit the screen center perpendiculary. If not, you get distortions from your point of view.

4) almost ALL the time, in rF1 at least, the cockpit camera is not looking straight ahead. In the CAM file in rF1 usually there is an orientationoffset of say (-0.06 , 0 , 0). This further distorts the image when using multiview, so set this orientationoffset to zero, and adjust the seat height instead to get the right view height.

5) Finally, don't forget to change the VOF in game. The maths are easy. Sometimes it may look a little weird, such as steering wheels being too large, but that is because the steering wheel would be in front of the screens, which makes it render larger than expected. Getting the FOV wrong with multiview and angled screens, again distorts the side screens image. Depending on your monitor distance and size, the FOV is probably between 20 and 35.

About 99% of triple screen users you see on youtube get at least a few of the above wrong.

Oh also, don't forget to disable excessive head movement, but especially things like 'look to apex'. And don't use Trackir with a 3 screen setup, that just doesn't make any damn sense! :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

@Niels: Using something like TrackIR is needed to see the cars to your right on my setup with triple screens. The reason it is needed is because with correct vFOV I can't see the right side mirror or window and it would help to be able to do so. The left side however is ok. This is all based on a left hand drive vehicle btw. The opposite would hold true for a right hand drive vehicle.

5. coops

coops Banned

im sure real race car drivers can see the window and mirror are you sure your fov is correct ?

6. magicfr

magicfr Registered

I have correct position and correct FOV, but I have 23" screens, so I "only" get 125° horizontal FOV and it's not enought to see right side mirror ( when driving on left seat ).

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I guess you missed the part where I said for my configuration. I don't have enough wrap on my monitors to cover the area that would allow me to see the other mirror. Peripheral vision is cut off at about 110 degrees, not anywhere close to the angle required to see the other mirror. Normal mirror placement would put the right side mirror at about 85 degrees off center to the right, maybe 80, haven't measured, but my monitors only gets to about 55 degrees off center to the right or left.

8. coops

coops Banned

sry

9. Niels_at_home

Niels_at_home Registered

I would say there is a difference in using it all the time to look around, or to glance at the mirrors. In that case though, I would assign look left/right buttons, and you can adjust the look angle and how fast it looks, in the PLR file (angle is in radians there though, so x57 for degrees)

Even slight change of view point / angle (which I guess are inevitable with Track-ir) are to be avoided if you ask me.

10. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

I have found out my problem - I did not have my monitors set so that i was staring at center of monitor- more staring at top. I have build platform for monitors so I stare at center. It all looks great now - I have it set to 25 degrees I think. I wonder why iRacing did not look funky (although it looks even better now)?

11. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

BlaringFiddle5, this was your hint as to what was wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2012
  12. Niels_at_home

Niels_at_home Registered

Remember that you have to stare at the center of the monitor, but the actual view camera used in game must also stare straight ahead, which is most of the time not true in rFactor and iRacing, though in rF you can change the CAM file and I believe in iR there are keyboard shortcuts for the camera angle.

13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

If you are racing in cockpit view, you don't even need to change the cam file. All you have to do is change the line in the plr file that says something about seat pitch angle.