Idea: disable car collisions for online racing

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by R Soul, May 19, 2021.

1. R Soul

R Soul Registered

A while ago there was a thread where some people said they didn't race online because they were worried about ruining someone else's race by causing a collision. However, competing against real people, in real time is great (even when you're not the fastest).

I think a good solution for these reluctant online racers would be a system that had every other car treated like the transparent trainer. The player would see all the other cars as normal (good for a visual reference) but driving into them would have no physical effects, and they'd gradually become transparent upon approach so the player could still see the track and their car's instruments etc.

The league I've raced with in the past runs qualifying in 'private' mode, so other cars are neither visible nor physical, but the lap times and position bar are updated live. That could be extended to the race, but for more than a few laps it's much better to be able to see what other people are doing.

edit for some clarity: I'm not suggesting this be the default setting, just an option for some league admins to enable if they want.

Thoughts?

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sink or swim baby! With a name like R Soul I'd expect a hard line stance :p

In all seriousness, I think a league environment is the perfect place for people to learn to deal with other cars and have people recognise them and be wary. I think there's always a danger of becoming reliant on aids and it's better to just start learning from the start. (Plus if you're used to being hollow, you might think you still are when you're not - and a resulting incident and ensuing abuse can be extremely off putting for future involvement. I've heard of similar happening with the lack of auto clutch at the start line...)

Bearing in mind there are also open practice sessions for learning, not just races to jump into blind - and often leagues will have some sort of race entry requirement, be it a laptime or number of laps (or both), or something else.

Still, not to say the option would be bad to have (are any?!), just not sure I see the merit.