Idea: Community tracks

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by SickSquirrel, Sep 22, 2012.

1. jtbo

jtbo Registered

It is quite interesting, I have to bring up some legends of course, Legend of King Arthur at 11th century had then revolutionary round table, early example from attempt to bring equality to among lords and the king, certainly had structure also, but one bit different from what then was a norm.

Nobody certainly had no chance to question King's decisions, but all got equal chance to speak for themselves. Some structures today are like round table, but there are no king, works really well for common goals, perhaps not so perfect for moving commercial development, even though my workplace does share that kind of ideology, we have there just people doing their jobs, no higher ups, it is different and I must say very efficient as there are lot of autonomy and chance to influence, sure there has been those bad apples, but we find out those faster than with conventional boss system. I don't know exact name for such hierarchy, but I think there are name for it, no not chaos :p

2. ethone

ethone Registered

Neither do I, so I called it the Valve-system. ;)
    Perhaps super-flat hierarchies comes close, although some versions don't even have the smallest hint of a hierarchical structure.

Just to be clear: Rejecting a strongly hierarchical or even dictatorial structure does not equal anarchy. It can mean very open "structures" where everyone has a chance to speak up, where the market of ideas works properly (which, yes, works best when you've filtered out bad apples unwilling to participate in deliberation and instead play power/ego games) or where everyone simply contributes whatever they can whenever they can.

I think what's much more important than having a leader or someone to define binding goals is having someone to bring people and content together.

3. vivemclaren

vivemclaren Registered

I'm agree with GTFREAK (Chris???) and Ethone. We don't need a boss. Everybody can say what he thinks. Everybody can make the car which he wants. If I want to make C11, I'll make it, for example.

Every members help another member if it is necessary. For example, I learn 3D Track and Ethone help me to learn. :) We are a team like a family. A group of personn which has the same goal, making a mod which can put on track 50-60 cars ;)

I was in a team, which have a boss and I don't like that. I prefer the structure of VLM and VLM JT.

Another probleme for merging teams is the standard. For example, we don't overtake 25-30k of triangles. Your Mazda 787b is very interresting, but it is very high poly, so I don't know if it is possible to put 55-60 cars (20-25 models differents even more) on track.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2012
  4. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

Our 787B model is not high poly and with the right LODs it will work fine. It is the one thing many groups don't do right, LODs and that is what defines a lot in a game. Lets not forget, rF2 does not render objects that are not visible in the viewport. In addition, we're not aiming for 55-60 car grids. Remember that the classic cars mod is about enjoying cars individually and together with others. If we did the four 1991 Lemans cars (Mazda, Porsche, Jaguar and Mercedes) we'd probably have max 20 cars on the grid in the mod with 5 different liveries a piece. We've tested our models with large grids and they work very well, won't be a problem unless your still running an old dual core computer. :p

5. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I believe LODs being used very little is because of extra work as it takes different poly models and all that to make different lod, then of course all lods should be done with enough scalability so max is truly max where you need rig of the year to run full grid and less is then what could be run even with poor rigs like mine.

I think that is of course one strength of bigger mod groups as there is more workforce, so more time can be spend for LODs.

That is of course part reason why many mods have only 20k tri or less models as they attempt to make one detail level that works for all.

With good lods however performance can be better as at distance of long straight it really does not matter for visual quality if car is only 3k instead of 30k, only performance will be lot different, but that 3k model would need to be made look such that it does not look different car when lod switches, I think such things take time. Of course I have only vague idea of how graphics work and what it takes to make such things happen, but I think it is something like that.

Of course one way to have everyone doing things right would be forming of general guidelines how and what and what not, could be just one wiki page, modding standards or such with tips and pointers, now that document would be a challenge to make happen with all different views, but with enough discussion maybe everyone could find something new angles :p

6. vivemclaren

vivemclaren Registered

I think I know how LODs work... Thank you.

787B is bewteen 50-60k no? Testing a large grids with 55 same cars isn't the same thing with 30 different cars too.

Anyway projects are not compatible because they do not have the same purpose and therefore the same level of poly. It is an example why it is difficult to merge two teams (or more)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2012