ICE

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bobs40, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Bobs40

Bobs40 Registered

Well if I ever want to learn how to drive on ice I know where to learn.
    This is tooooooo damn hard for an old goat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If I go online with no aids it aint no fun to just keep spinnnnnnnnng around

2. coops

coops Banned

there is enough aids, enough controller settings and even car settings try again. don't give up so easily

3. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

Git yer foot outta da throttle man!. Don't try to race, you need to start off easy. Don't try to be competitive... baby steps, just keep the car on the pavement. I'm an old guy, have some real life racing experience and still find myself facing the wrong way at times. Mostly when I am racing online...... I can't believe that someone is 3 seconds a lap faster than me, and push too hard. Sim racing IS harder than real life, you only have visual/audio/ and FFB .. in real life the motion part is what gets you where you want to be. Patience grasshopper..
    [​IMG]

4. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

I know few older chaps that ain't (like you like to say) slow or spinning around.

One guy I know is 56 years young, over 2 times older than me. When I was a rookie (many years ago) I saw him winning with guys that I thought never could have lost back then. He trained and trained and after he did a lot of training... he trained some more. Guess even an old dog can learn new tricks.

Overcoming difficulties is what gives us experiance and makes us better in what we do.

You can transform this "ice" into "sandpaper" if you are determined enough.

What I'm saying is that anyone can be good at sim. It just takes some training and patience. The great ones aren't falling from the sky or trees. They just train a lot more than the good ones.

It's up to you to decide if you want to be good.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

The problem is you don't realize just how crazy what you're doin in game is in real life.

I was driving my dads bottom model toyota corolla the other day, even driving a 40 km/h so like 25ish miles an hour, I would jus give the wheel a quick snap, barley moving it on it's super slow steering rack and even that gave a tremendous amount of "wow" factor due to hard quick turning. I barely even turned as I was slowly gout down a aide street, it wasn't even "avoiding a pothole" amount of turning, yet from in the car the feeling was immense. This exact same motion in game would look pathetic, a. The car would look (even more so the higher the FOV you use) like it barley even turned, and b. 40 km/h or 25 mph honestly looks like you are almost stopped in a sim, it's pathetic. This applies to everything, like when comming out of a turn, in real life you instinctly add more throttle as you feel confidence in the rear and based on that you adjust the throttle, you feel the g's of acceleration pressing you into the seat even when you are only at part throttle, where as in the sim it's just more of a "full throttle as fast as I can this is a video game, not real life" sort of mentality. Ppl forget to and don't notice, just quite how fast, how many g's and how on the limit of the car/tyre's they are in a sim. You have to drive telling more mentally

6. poket roket

poket roket Registered

Hang in there. Take your time. I felt the same way when I started racing many, many years ago. I'm 50 now. Listen to Dave Millard. Patience.

7. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Make sure you join a server that has a rubbered in track already. The difference between a green track and a rubbered in track is HUGE.

You have to know your setup. How much throw is in your pedals, the lock of your wheel, where you sit, where your monitor is- all of it.

Don't mess with the setup at first. You can set some things like brake pressure, steering lock and stuff like that to make it driveable but stop there. Like Dave said- keep it on the pavement and just run laps.

8. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Driving rF2 on track without rubber is like driving on ice. This is huge problem, which is ignored by ISI. Option to save real road does not help user which just want to drive any track any time without some other time consuming manipulations (like making AI`s go round for 100 laps just to make damn track drivable!).

There must be a slider in options to set track rubbering form 0% to 100% before you go on track. Only this solution will be adequate to whole rF2`s realroad system. Not only that, but with this slider we also, at last, will receive possibility to compare our laps with our friends or in our league (because we will know exactly in which conditions laps where set).
    There is also must be live indicator of track rubbering percentage somewhere in track interface. Near weather indicator for example.

Without this, its no fun at all. I even think, I`d prefer static road like in rF1.

9. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

why dont you rubber the track with ai and save it?

10. Nibo

Nibo Registered

Because it takes 5-8 minutes of my time for every track and I still don`t know how much exactly this AI`s rubbered the track! If 10 AI`s go around for 20 laps, in what condition track will be? 70%? 80? I can not live with this uncertainty.

Oh, and with every full reinstall of rF2 or with every new version of a track all saved RealRoad states are lost! Here is another problem.

11. Flaux

Flaux Registered

My realroed settings are still there and working. Never had a prob with going out for the first time on a green track... then saving the rr to use it later.

And that driving on ice is just your right foot and hectic steering.

Btw I wonder how many people drive with a sensitiv of 100%. Try 50% on all axis in-game and feel the difference...

12. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Don't do it, Tim Richmond died because of AIDS.

[​IMG]

13. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

I guess many have never driven on ice to say that kind of thing.
    As Sipnelly says, the lack of G forces is what doesn't make you feel how actually fast you're going.
    If you feel it like "ice" you're simply pushing it more than you can handle.

14. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Oh man, this sounds like you used every aid possible, thinking you're the next Schumacher and now driving with all aids off, big shock, suddenly you have to do it all yourself now. This is exactly why I always think it's very bad practise using aids! it totally destroys your sense of what it means to drive that car!

It's like learning guitar with wrong technique. Easy to learn, almost next to impossible to get rid of when it has become a bad habit! (Muscle memory)

Seriously though, drive these cars like it is your personal car. Spinelli is right on the money, there is much tactile feedback lost, and even in 6dof motion sims, that I have seen people do the craziest stuff they would never do in there real car, even shifting became a problem. As always, take it SLOW and take it SMOOTH. Learn the track and proper LINE before pushing, learn where the BRAKING POINTS are and slowly try to find the limits. Yes, to find the limits you will have to cross them sometimes, don't worry about that. Don't worry about speed or laptimes when you can't keep the car between the lines, that will come later.

It's not hard, using aids just makes you think it is when turning them off.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2013
  15. PMC

PMC Registered

If a mod is made correctly aids should make you slower in the end unless there allowed with that mod as you should getting a weight/drag penalty for using them

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

One things certain, you drive any other sim you will not have rubber.

17. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I hereby promise that if I build a car, and someone can do proper physics for it, aids won't even be included ;)

And always have 90-100% grip levels ;)

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Why is that such a stupid idea.

A sim that has no aids except real world ones, forced cockpit whilst driving, no press escape to pit, no auto pit-limiter, no virtual mirrors or rear views, etc.

Mention it you get clobbered :p

I can hear those cogs working now..........
    " But , but, you can turn all aids off anyway........................ "
    Yeah and you just missed the point. :)

19. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Where can I get the sim you just described!

Point for me is, we're driving a SIM, aids should not be needed unless in arcade games.
    Being clobbered coming right up...

20. PMC

PMC Registered

So if you were a shoe maker you would make size nine shoes and black only and only lace ups,i dont think ISI want to run a business like that, the idea is to appeal to as many people as possible without compramising the main core players of the game,ie. leagues and modders and still make it appealing as best it can to arcade players and beginners,its about money at the end