i3 9100f poor performance

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Daniel svs, Oct 31, 2021.

1. Daniel svs

Daniel svs Registered

Hey, I've been trying to play rf2 with my i3 9100f, but it sometimes freezes the car for half a second (the purple bar goes up basically, cpu bottleneck). I have the option of easily changing for a ryzen 5 1600, and I'd like to know if the higher thread count will make a good diference. rf2 is kinda old and from what i've seen it only uses 2 threads (i3 would be better) but checking task manager it seems to be using all 4 threads from my current cpu. I'm kinda confused now, and don't really have a way of testing an r5 1600 rn.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Your CPU looks like it should be fine, assuming you're on screens (not VR) and you don't have power throttling or other processes interfering.

rF2 has two main threads, but will use more (1? 2? Not sure) for some shadow stuff mainly. I would expect 4 cores to suffice.

When it's not freezing up, how does the purple CPU bar look? A cpu that's weak will have the bar constantly above about 70%.

3. Daniel svs

Daniel svs Registered

it's usually just fine, but there are lag spikes for a short time, and the purple bar max out for like half a sec and then it goes back to 30% or something like that, also cpu usage on task manager rarely gets higher than 80%, even when the game freezes

4. Daniel svs

Daniel svs Registered

... okey i'm starting to think it's the map I was playing, I just started playing this game and 80% of the time was that one map... so.... ye

5. stonec

stonec Registered

You cannot reliably judge how many threads an app uses by looking at Windows task manager or similar tools that measure core usage. Windows and CPU drivers are capable of dividing load on different threads using their own logic. To check how many threads the app actually uses, you need something like Process Explorer, then right click the process to view Properties and Threads. This will tell you the actual number of threads that the app runs with.

But yeah, I wouldn't upgrade to an R5 1600. R5 1600 by now is old and has quite a bit slower single core performance than i3 9100F and as a good rule of thumb, you should never upgrade to a CPU with slower single core, even if it has more threads.

6. Daniel svs

Daniel svs Registered

okay, i'm confused rn, I changed the map, the car, everything, still has lag spikes. barely anything running in the background and cpu usage is fine, idk what to do now... actually, I think it might be the hard drive... it has spikes in task manager when the game freezes... and it's a pretty slow drive

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  7. Daniel svs

Daniel svs Registered

I think it is the drive... it has a speed of 60mbs sequential write, the read is fine, but the write is terrible, thats probably why the game didn't lag in every single spike in the drive's task manager