I think my Microphone is broken, is there anyway to test if it works?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Jamie Shorting, May 15, 2014.

1. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

It shows my microphone is plugged in in my recording devices, but I can't get it to work on TS, is it broken? Thanks.

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I don't think so.

Could be you need to select "What U Hear " in recording menu in Windows Sound

With mic on just do " test 1 2 3 test 1 2 3 " and play with recordings controls in windows and you will see the level rise on something.

3. Jamie Shorting

Thanks Durge, but nothing. I've given up to be honest. Crappy thing is I think it'll cost me a seat in a league.

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Does the microphone appear in Sound/Recording list as " default device" as in pic below ?

Plugged into pink plug right ? ..........well depends ....what audio chipset / card mate some are some not.

Funny I just had a look at mine was not working either.

All it was is I had somehow right clicked and unticked in sound /recording "Show disconnected devices"

With that ticked microphone now appeared in list but was still not working and it was grey.

Clicked "set default" and microphone was green and working again. ;)

X-Fi Titanium and TT Shock headphones

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2014
  5. Jamie Shorting

Thanks Durge, yeah I've got the green check mark and everything. Just can't figure it out. Who the hell would have thought a microphone would be so damn complicated. Maybe the microphone is broken. The thing is my headphones aren't cheap, Sennheiser PC350 and I look after my stuff, not abused. The sound is awesome in them too!!

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I dont think they are broken esp you now say they Seen's

I be very very surprised.

Mics can be so frustrating sometimes it may take one setting to be changed before another one kicks in if default settings have been changed.

At least that is my experience.

DD

7. Hectari

Hectari Registered

My microphone used to stop working in teamspeak regularly and the only way I could fix it was with the 'audio and video setup' in msn messenger. Strange but true.

You can actually still download messenger http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/confirmation.aspx?id=31330

Give it a quick install, make sure to untick the crap it wants to install with it. Go to the menu bar at the top of messenger, Tools->Audio and video setup...

Shouldn't take you more than a couple minutes, worth a shot!

8. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

My old Sennheisers microphone stopped working ages ago. It was the little volume control case in the middle of the wiring. Microphone wire came away inside the case. Soldered back up and away again. :)

Another problem I had with my old Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS is the microphone does not work properly when you run more than 4gb of ram. Something to do with the drivers not being 64bit compatible. Just thought Id mention that.

Good luck bud

9. Jamie Shorting

Thanks guys, looks like my microphone is shot, took it to a friends and nothing. I might do what Pluginz did, maybe the wire came loose.

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

250AUD and wires come loose !
    I would except that in well used cheap set.

When wiring is giving up normally you get intermittent use.

Did they just suddenly stop working ? or have you never used them ?

11. Jamie Shorting

I know, I'm gutted and pissed. Actually though the only complaint I have of these headphones is the cord. It's a rubber type instead of the cloth type. The cloth will not twist but with the rubber type I'm always untwisting the cord. Maybe that's what pulled it out? The microphone worked before, now it doesn't. I even downloaded the sound drivers for my mobo and plugged it into that jack, nothing.

12. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Have you fixed them yet Jamie?

I forgot to say. The little volume control case on the lead can be a right little bugger to take apart. Prising the plastic till it almost breaks! Gotta be careful when doing it.

:)

13. Jamie Shorting

Actually I'm scared to to be honest. The fit of that enclosure or whatever you call it, is a really good fit and I don't have anything small and strong enough to fit in there. Plus I'm really worried about breaking it and really messing things up. I'll just have to go without a mic I'm guessing. Does suck though.

14. Pluginz

Pluginz Registered

Go for it Jamie, what you got to lose?

You're right about the crappy cable. A few yanks and accidental tugs easily pulls the wiring away. Shame seeing how expensive they are.

I'd start by making a skim/slice in the rubber at the end of the volume control with a sharp knife, Stanley blade type, be careful though!! :)
    Keep slicing the rubber away very carefully until you start to see the insulated wires. You can then cut the rubber away from the volume control case and then get a flat screw driver in between it and prise it apart. Happy days :)

There will be three pins inside, if one of the wires has come away from the pins you know its the mic wire. I soldered mine back on and mic has been good ever since. Then snapped the case back together, wrapped it up with cloth wiring tape and good to go! Mine doesn't look pretty but it works again!

Go for it! :)

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned