I need a dedicated Commercial server?

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by g7usl, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

It was my understanding that on a home connection you could not support more than about 10? Players? Let alone a 30 player league race?

I have 30Mbps down and 2.5 - 3 mbps up? If I am wrong and can host a server for 20+ people then fine, I will. Can someone clarify this?

2. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Rich:

We charge $50.00 USF for 42 slots....I see your from the UK...with the conversion from the pound to US dollar, that is $32.00 pounds...

That works out to $0.76 a slot..there have been a few in here that use our servers..Until the dedicated server exe gets optimized...(and I hope soon) I can't see the price for us anyways dropping to what we charge per month for rF1.

When that happens and it is getting better...you will see the price drop.

I am sure that there are cheaper hosts out there...But all we host is Race server titles...No FPS..

Anyways...good luck with your search for a commercial server...I guess RF2 will run OK on a VPS...but it depends on whats under the hood per say...and how many VPS sessions people are trying to squeeze out of them till clients start yelling.

Personally, we only host 2 per server...and those are 8 core Intels with 16 GB's of ram. No support tickets mean a happy client...and more TV Time..LOL

Dave

3. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Thanks for the info Dave,
    The reason why I am so bothered about costs is because I want any League I run from my website to be free to members. I am only a student so I need it to be as cheap as possible as my income would sadly be some way short of being able to cover £32 a month.

Thank you for the information though, I will consider you if/when the time comes to get a server.

Rich

4. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

To comment on your first question Rich, i think you should test hosting yourself as soon as rf2 becomes gold. who knows what they will change in the netcode in beta stage?

Its abit of wishfull thinking but its the only option if you want it to be free of charge, host the dedicated server yourself, prefferably on a seperate machine.
    How much drivers you will be able to host depends on your connection but even more so on the combined connections of your drivers, those are the ones that usualy make things unstable.

I very much doubt a hosted game will go as far as 30 players, even 20 will be stretching it but it wont hurt to test it i guess. At least you will know what the deal is instead of asuming its not an option :)

There are leagues whom share dedicated servers, i think thats the best option, all parties share the burdon financially, make agreements when to use it, etc. and they get to have a fast machine.
    Maybe difficult to find a party you can work with, and trust, but its worth the effort imo to try and find a suitable party for this. helps a great deal.

5. Dave-NRT

Dave-NRT Registered

Rich:

Understand 100%!

Running a race for free league, is a very adventurous undertaking if you have a limited income...:)

WE are about to launch a rFactor2 special over the next few days offering dedicated servers, not VPS based.

Dual core AMD 2.3ghz or better
    servers all have 4 GBs of ram

People will be able to run 2 rF2's and 1 or 2 rF1's..have remote desktop with the ability to administer the servers mod manager
    Weather system
    And offer downloads of there mods via the lobby system
    also run the plugins.

They come with 5TB's of Level 3 bandwidth on each server.

they will be $79.99..

Thanks for keeping us in mind when it comes time look for a server RIch...and good luck with building a league.

Take care

Dave

NRT

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012