I can't re-install rFactor 2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by hurricaneman, Dec 28, 2017.

1. hurricaneman

hurricaneman Registered

I uninstalled the game because it couldn't update due to a privilege missing error. I'm on Steam. When I try to re-install I get the same "rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" missing privilege error. I don't know what is wrong. I bought the game years ago but not the online feature. Can someone help me?

2. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Open Steam click on Library then games, look for rfactor 2 right click it install.

3. hurricaneman

hurricaneman Registered

I did. I cannot install the dx11 version. I can install the dx9 though but it is unplayable. When I open the game I get the message that the graphics engine is outdated and to update to dx11. When I install the dx11 version I keep getting "rFactor2 Dedicated.exe" missing privilege error. The latest update broke the game in my case. It seems I won't be able to play this great sim again.

4. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

5. hurricaneman

hurricaneman Registered

Thank you GrimDad. I've done everything you have told me and it doesn't work. I uninstalled, deleted all folders and files and I even cleaned the registry and turned off my virus detector. When I try to install the game from steam I get "An error occurred while installing rFactor 2 (missing the privileges):" I:\Steam\steamapps\downloading\365960\Bin32\rFactor2 Dedicated.exe.
    I have no problems with my other games. I bought rFactor2 on day one and transferred to Steam when ISI told us to do it. I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem but I never purchased the playing online option because I never play online.

6. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Is the bin 32 folder there,if so delete the whole file and try once again to varify files,not sure it will work but worth a tru

Just to clarify,you did make the switch to steam in the allotted time frame didn’t you,when was the last time you played rf2,have you got dx11 cabable gpu

7. hurricaneman

hurricaneman Registered

Thanks for your reply. Like I said I delete everything. I leave no folders nor files neither in rFactor2 nor in the downloading folder (all of them inside Steam.

8. hurricaneman

hurricaneman Registered

Steam is also telling me that I have missing file privileges and it seems related to Dedicated.exe file which is not downloading. When the installation starts everything is fine until it has to download the Dedicated.exe. What is this exe? Does it have to do with playing online? If this is the case, do I have to purchase the online pass?

I have the same problem if I try to install the Dx9 version of the game.

9. hurricaneman

hurricaneman Registered

Nobody from Studio 397 can help me?

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Did you try reinstalling steam itself or running it in administrator mode.

11. dist93

dist93 Registered

Hey, sorry to bump this old thread but i have exactly the same problem and i can't seem to solve it. I have tried about everything and can't seem to make it work. I'm trying to hold off clean installing steam as i have many other games which i would like to not lose data or have to download again.

I've also noticed that the file in question for me doesn't exist. In fact it is actually called rFactor2 Dedicated UI.exe and not simple rFactor2 Dedicated.exe can delete, move, and basically do anything else to the file in question, EXCEPT remove the "UI" from its name and make it only "rFactor Dedicated.exe"

Did you manage to fix this, and if so, what did you do?

Thanks

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@dist93 What have you tried so far? Verified files? Reinstalled rF2? Tried disabling antivirus during install in case it's doing something? Checked your permissions on the install folder location?

Can you tell us exactly what the error is, or even show a screenshot? It's not totally clear right now, jumping on the back of threads and saying "I've got exactly the same thing" tends to not go very well, because it's usually not.