I can import a complete track from rf1 !

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mario Morais, Jan 18, 2012.

1. kuato

kuato Registered

followed by a long rant :D

2. mianiak

mianiak Registered

I support Mario's decision not to share this and I think it's only right for everyone else to respect that too. I don't think its fair to torment him by saying he cant do it in a hope that he will release it to prove himself.

Give the guy a fair go. Respect his decision and be happy with it. He obviously has a lot of talent, he doesn't deserve dissing just because he decides to keep it to himself.

In truth, the original creator of the track/car will have the 3d model already in 3dmax and won't have to worry about importing anything. In the odd case (like a hd failure and loss of data) they might not have the max file and its up to them what they do, weather they import it or rebuild it. A talented track builder could rebuild their track again in a short time anyway because they have done it once before, the second time will be much quicker.

If you have built a track in BTB (which seems to be the most common problem) then what is already available is sufficient enough for you to get your track into rf2, although its a little bit of work but after it's done the first time the second time is easy.

The only other reason anyone would want to import a track is because they want to convert someone else's work and this is what scares me the most. Imagen a track builder working hard with all his heart on one of their tracks preparing it for the rf2 community, then all of a sudden it appears converted from rf1 in bad shape with all the new rf2 track tech missing. It could cause the track builder and many others to give up, which will in turn leave no quality tracks for rf2. Even if it does include all the new tech, it will not be what the original creator intended to have.

The future of rf2 is in our hands, our actions now in this beginning stage and preparing tracks for rf2 all depends on how we go about it. If this community wants quality tracks then they should stand strongly behind scratch track builders and back them up all the way.

If others want to import tracks for R&D purpose, then there is already a method in place to do this.

3. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

You just suck and you know it so you have to take it out on it..lol

4. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Lol mianiak, that comment i made about him not working it out was a tongue in cheak reverse psychology joke you try on 8 year olds.
    it wasn't ment to be taken seriously.I totaly agree that all tracks should be of the highest quality,hence i have offered my work because i also am a perfectionist and left up to me would never be released. And who's gunna garantee that any scratch work is even going to be close to the real track let alone be as good as older version with or without the bling.Something to drive on is better than nothing. I'm sure nobody is bagging his dicision to withhold this but more the fact he posted it then retracted.Ever heard of being teased ,nobody likes that.So why even make the post even though i know that wasn't the intention.Conversions will come

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012
  5. mianiak

mianiak Registered

It's all good mate, prevention is better than cure.

6. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

I agree In the end its up to him Its more a case of ask him nicely cannot really have ago at him lol

saying that I misunderstood what the tool did I assumed it allowed for quick conversion for people that built the track themselves rather than it opening it up so other people will convert other peoples tracks , it seems that it would do both.

In the end it should probably be up to the guy/girl who made the track what he/she does with the track.

sum-one also said about RFC not rating things to well which I guess is true allot of average tracks got rated mid to high , maybe its worth setting up a website that links to and hosts just the very cream of the crop content for RF2 ?

7. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

8. ethone

ethone Registered

Importing them into rF2 materials would have saved some time.

Guess I was right to preface my reply with "If true"...

9. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

10. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

This is about as useful as "Dynamic weather? Well yeah, our private league made a plugin that provides dynamic weather for rF1, it's fantastic, but it's only for us, sorry." If it's not here we don't care.

Next!

12. Jaageri

Jaageri Registered

Well some Spanish boys are releasing in march some weather plugins? Any chance their the same your talking about?;)

Mario could/should provide his tool only to the modders that have made the tracks for RF1, problem is there's quite lot of them...:eek:

It could also be that some track makers have moved on to other projects, died or are not interested what happens to there old tracks.But main thing is that there should be some kind of quality check on old RF1 tracks that are transfered to RF2 in my mind.
    I personally don't want to see 12 versions of Spa and 9 of Monza on my hdd.
    Never understood why every F1 mod needed their "own trackpack".

13. freew67

freew67 Registered

Im going to agree with Mianiak. Would this file be useful for track builders like myself? Yes. Do I know how to get my tracks in max without it? Yes... Its more of a Yin a Yang. While it would be used to for good, there is always some muppet that will come along and use it for their evil plans. At the end of the day, its up to Mario if he wants to release it. Even though that pic he posted is sooooo photo shopped! :p

Jaageri, they died? harsh Next your going to ask for their long form birth certificate to get the plugin (some folks will get that lol).

14. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

The whole problem of "inferior" (tracks that are converted without being updated to rF2 standards), tracks could be avoided if a proper naming convention was adopted at this early stage. If straight conversions included the word "Legacy" in their title then it would be easy for anyone to identify whether it was a true rFactor 2 track or a conversion from rFactor 1 that didnt use the live track technology. It would also have the added bonus of allowing users of lower spec machines which maybe can't handle the live track technology to run tracks they may be otherwise incapable of running.

15. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I can get the point...

The previous GMT importer is already capable to import the GMT preserving UVW maps and shaders. Has the thread's owner improved the script in what point, specifically?

(Just to mention: the statement about the concerning about bad RF1 tracks incoming is just ridiculous)

16. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

By the way, I create a standalone software which convert any track from any game to RF2 and creates automatically the textures and materials for RealRoad tech, recreates all parameters and creates a RF2 package ready to distribute.

All you have to do is click on the original track folder and select a new folder and, voilá, there is the RF2 track ready to run.

V 1.0: Microprose GP1 conversion tool added.
    V 1.1: Automatically add US$100,00 to your bank count each time you convert a track.
    V 1.2: Full new RF2 skybox added, remove old skybox and adjust new keys.
    V 1.3: New animations interface: just pick up among 1500 new animated caracthers and add to your track.
    V 1.4: Full RF2 AIW implemented.

Download link:
    edited

I thought and reflected and decided not to distribute my tool, its for privacy use only. Those ugly guys will convert ugly tracks to RF2, I don't like!

17. cbunsold

cbunsold Registered

If tools are not released,that will not stop poor conversions from being released! It just slows down the prosses of very good conversions in my opinion. Also there are people like culmone67 who took some time to fix up many bad tracks that a public release would help! Again not releasing will not stop bad conversions!

Steve

18. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho Registered

This game is most definitely NOT open source. ISI has never released the source code for any of their games and it is highly unlikely that they will for RF2. It is highly configurable but that is the extent of it.

Also, many people who created original content have copyrighted their work but that has done little to slow the proliferation of poor quality conversions, those without the courtesy of acknowledgement, or violations of the usage license.

19. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho Registered

I agree fullly with your entire post !

20. nike23osu

nike23osu Registered

Its his right to do with his tool as he pleases...having said that 3dsimed will be supporting rF2 so this will be a moot subject in the future.