I can import a complete track from rf1 !

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mario Morais, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Hi all

I change the script "GMT importer" by Zoltán Nagy .

I can now import GMT faster and makes the conversion of shaders keeping all the properties, UV coordinates, etc..

i need more tests to share maybe tomorrow

View attachment 711

;)

2. ethone

ethone Registered

If true that would be awesome Mario. :)

3. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Nice :) If only I had a RF1 track :p

4. kuato

kuato Registered

This will be a big time saver. Thank you for doing this!

5. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

edit:
    after thinking well I do not think I'll share the script.

Because after comes the low quality circuits from RF1.

Perhaps the ISI was able to control the quality of circuits for RF2. The game and the community only had to win.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
  6. kuato

kuato Registered

I'm sorry but I don't get what you mean. I thought this was meant to be a first step so you can start adding new rF2 features to the old tracks without having to redo a bunch of materials. I don't see how this is bad for the community.

Anyway, I hope you reconsider...

7. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

I'll admit I somewhat dread the influx of rushed conversions from RF1 to RF2 and all the tedious ownership debates that come with them. The fact there are resources still from SCGT mods kicking around isn't exactly great. I think what Mario means is that if you make it so people have to take their time and understand what they're doing you may see better results. I can already confirm that it isn't at all a requirement to have tracks that work with realroad technology - I can foresee a lot of people downloading tracks in the future only to discover that no wet line appears visually or somesuch.

On the issue of outright denying tools that facilitate quick conversions I'm divided on this issue but it's not a debate I intend to get in to too much.

8. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

In the end bad tracks will probably get filtered out you end up with RFC sorting the content and RF1 tracks that don't have the features will obviously get lower scores.

9. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

I'm not so sure they will. Typically I find the RFC rating system to be a poor guide to the quality of the work therein.

10. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Most mods have up to 13 tracks for a season,thats alot of tracks.How long will it take to create all these tracks from scratch.Many mods may wait years for someone to get around to this.
    I agree there will be some effects lacking in some of these conversions but will quikly be replaced by better versions as they become available.
    So is it better to have a conversion to drive on or nothing at all.
    As far as i know conversions from other games is often the only way to get a track.And there is plenty of those in rF.
    Keeping in mind this game is open source and unless you have copywriten your product (track or mod) the best you can expect is some acknowledgment in the conversion
    Also i'm sure if you have done it so will others.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012
  11. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

Not everybody is great looking but they still have the chance to live like everybody else, your kind of saying if GOD can control which beautiful person gets born ugly people have to chance. It's a kind of stupid way to say it but it was the first example I could come up with. Who says that by saving people all this time of having to rechange these stupid shaders that will take absolutely hours plus re-adding the textures again that there going to rush and upload it for everybody and who knows quite a few of them can have RealRoad added to it quite easy, there are A LOT of great looking tracks for rFactor, just because they don't have RealRoad in it doesn't mean it's a bad track. Face it and rF2 DEVS need to face it as well, there are a lot of great tracks for rF1 and there going to be converted for rF2 no matter what you say or do. Your saving us all time but yet decided to be prude and selfish about it.

Sorry I'm new here but I don't take kindly to people like this, I firmly believe in sharing and helping others out, I'm not prude and selfish. The more you share the better the community and the better tracks will turn out.

12. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

Or maybe he didnt get it to work and thats his excuse to get out of it

13. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

That's somewhat of an overreaction isn't it? Besides, it's far more common than you think. I know of a good few mod groups who refuse to make templates and most groups lock their work and don't take kindly to copying. With your property or creation you can really do what you want. That's part of the joy of modding.

Anyway, reverse-engineering with 3DSimED or GMT import isn't exactly complex and adds all of a handful of minutes to an hour or two to a conversion process - things you'd have to do anyway if the conversion was to be done properly.

14. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

My reaction was hasty yes and I should have thought about it at first but the way he put it kind of just set me off and not just because he wouldn't share, although not knowingly he pretty much said that because some tracks aren't up to HIS/OTHERS or ISI standards and don't want no CRAP tracks in the game me being a n00b and all and designing my first track I should probably just give up now because it maybe crap, and just because you have RealRoad doesn't mean everyone has to take advantage of it but if your going to import and if you know what your doing of course you should do it since I read some tutorials and doesn't seem to be that bad but I could be kidding myself as well. I plan on adding all the stuff but already I have a complex because I don't think it will be good enough for HIM or You or ISI.

It may not be complex to YOU because you have probably been doing it forever..lol, anytime you can make people's lives simpler with importing you should take full advantage of it. And with regards to sharing, yes I've been through it many of times in the Golf Course Design side of things for different PC Games, I can see with Tracks/Cars/Golf Courses as you designed this and don't really want anyone to edit it but to not share resources is kind of silly especially when you could help others, maybe it's because I am not that type of person and choose to help others out if I can that it bothers me but to each his own.

15. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

You seem to be having an argument about something entirely other. First, making a track is very different to converting someone else's work - why exactly can't conversion be left to someone who knows what they're doing anyway? If you want to make tracks make a track or modify an existing one. As for being conscious of what the community think of your work I can tell you I mod for me, nobody else; It's a labor of love. My learning had jack to do with conversions too.

Also, I really don't mean to make this personal, but without proper sentences I found it hard to decipher your post at first and actually misread what you'd posted - your first sentence is almost 150 words long - I had to go back and edit. Just for future reference it'll alleviate possible misunderstandings. I really don't mean that as an attack.

16. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

I'm not really obsessed with converting older tracks but I just love Zolder and Monza so much that I would like to continue racing on those tracks even if that means only me and my friends. Sure I could probably maybe do it but I always look at things differently then others, why design it when it's already out there? Just sounds like a total waste of track designing time. :D

Zolder has alone over 390 textures that need to be redone by adding the T1 shader and then you have to add the map again because even though it shows up in MAX alright the texture shows red meaning it is not assigned I guess. This would have saved me tons of work that could have been better put to use by learning how to add the new RealRoad stuff. I can do it no problem it would have just saved tons of time.

My own track design has the layout complete but am trying to figure out the best way still loft, I can't loft for some reason in Max10 because it sits there and does nothing but I do that same thing in Max12 using same settings and it works fine but I still need to read into changing the lofting width because it is WAY to wide for me track. I can do this, I KNOW I can but I still hope it's not bad enough that people avoid it.

Is that better Teacher..lol (Heck my spelling and punctuation is better then most people I meet on the internet, I just seem to have longer sentences. :p

17. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Hey, if it's a good track that's converted properly then bring it on and good luck with your project. And hey, you'd likely have to reassign a whole load of textures anyway in a conversion, but more, imagine you're the guy who made the original - wouldn't you like your work to be converted with even a fraction of the care and attention you put in to it?

18. kleanphil

kleanphil Registered

So is there anyone doing all the Aussie tracks or we just sit with nothing, at this rate it will never happen,even after full release.
    I have 5 Aussie tracks i started but will take my old slow brain a year to complete.
    So please DO AUSSIE V8 tracks first track builders :).
    Maybe some cleverer person might want to take over my work,tracks are Wannaroo,Pukekohe,Queensland,Calder and Lakeside but this is a hugh project as apart from being seperate layouts i also want to link them by linking the last corner to the next tracks last corner and creating a single track from them all.The tracks are reasonably accurate maybe some minor tweaking and the layout is done .
    So please if anyone is game i will send what i have

19. SmokinJo65

SmokinJo65 Registered

That's why I wouldn't release it till I was comfortable with it, if I am going to convert it then I will do it right. I get what your saying also, yeah if somebody else redesigned by golf courses I would want them done correctly and not just half-assed IF I did let him convert it. :D

20. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Well this has been pleasant and civil... whilst I'm glad I can't let it stand, this is the internet and all the rules state all disagreements must be vitriolic. I'mma have to insult golf.

Screw golf.