Released Hyundai i30 Fastback N Performance BTCC!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 5, 2022.

1. wrff.tiger@gmail

wrff.tiger@gmail Registered

Oh, ok, I guess I didn't realize those liveries weren't from the 2021 season. I am not really familiar with the real world series and have only become acquainted with the BTCC since studio-397 started releasing there content. I wasn't expecting to enjoy the content as much as I have. Are all the 2021 liveries for the BTCC cars represented? Was there no other FORD Focus teams in 2021?

davehenrie likes this.
  2. Leynad

Leynad Registered

Like with all BTCC-cars: After 5 min. the tyres are down. That's just no fun to drive like that and in iRacing TCR the tyres hold up 10 times longer at least. Can't be both true I guess...

PirroC likes this.
  3. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Haven’t bought it yet so not sure how many it comes with. But last season there were three I think: Andy Neate, Sam Osborne and Jake Hill

4. AMillward

AMillward Registered

BTCC tyres are designed to last for a 25min or so race.

5. Leynad

Leynad Registered

I don't buy this and the Stockcar tyres last forever btw. while providing rather more than less gripo_O

6. AMillward

AMillward Registered

BTCC tyres ≠ stock car tyres.

You can make them last, you just have to be smooth.

7. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I think it's quite easy to over-drive these cars and wear tires quickly, especially the fwd.

8. Leynad

Leynad Registered

They loose 1% while coasting through the pits, so now way they last.

PirroC likes this.
  9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

The BTCC races are 30 minutes or less, almost always. So the tires do not 'have' to last. A stock car tire is probably 2 to 3 times wider. It should have more grip. Take a look at a BTCC video and view the pitstops. VERY small tires compared to WEC/IMSA GT or most openwheelers.

10. Leynad

Leynad Registered

Have you tried a 30 min race with them? The tyres will probably go under 30% and that means very awful handling. And I'm a smooth driver, but if you don't drive on the limit of traction, you are not racing.

PS: Did a 20 min race @WWT infield, Hyundai with mediums and front-right was down 38%, but handling was still okay probably from all the rubber on the track. There are worse tracks for the tyres since WWT has no proper braking zone.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    PirroC likes this.
  11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If tyres don't easily last race distance and you kill them, then do badly because of it, you are not racing well.

Tyre wear isn't a constant. The only proof is how people have to drive in order to race properly, which means competing to find out. This discussion already happened in the BTCC thread and you disappeared after suggesting their tyres should last 8 laps at Nords. What's your reference?

12. Leynad

Leynad Registered

I'm THE smooth driver and won most of my races because I can safe tyres. What's your reference that the BTCC-tyres only last 25 min.? I questioning this because it doesn't make any economical sense or for Good Year to produce compounds no sane person would want to buy. You have to prove me that I'm wrong, not the opposite around.

Tyres used during races are typically used for practice sessions later, often after flexing some pickup off. They last at least 10 laps 24h Nordschleife.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't know anything about the BTCC tyres, that's why I asked in the other thread. Then you talked about GTE and the 24H. I don't know if they reuse tyres for stints in later races, for prep laps in qual, how their times compare to new tyres, how race laptimes compare to qual. The above is the closest you've come yet to actually describing some real scenarios, but I still don't know for sure you're fully talking about BTCC or mixing some other/general stuff as well.

* @Leynad by the way, there is a burden of proof on you because you're saying it's wrong. Doesn't mean you need spreadsheets or telemetry. You could cover a lot with a basic "I watch a lot of BTCC, they do consistent laptimes within half a second of qual times and don't drop off in their 25 min races. They reuse tyres for the next race/practice and times are only xyz slower ..." statement. That would give a context and weight to your observations. And if anyone who watches BTCC thinks you're wrong about your real life references they can point it out. It's all very vague so far.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    AMillward and Emery like this.
  14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Looking at Brands Indy, I 'think' this year, the website wasn't very clear on that...they had 3 races of 24, 24, & 27 laps.(so probably 20 minutes or so for the 1st two & 25ish minutes for the third race) I tried the Hyundai with 31 cars in practice and ran 30 laps on the Mediums with the default setup. The left front hit 50% at lap 30 and that included numerous offs & near lockups on my part. I kept the pace within a second of my best(lap 17 & 19 of 30) throughout the run, although the last few laps were pretty ragged. I would say the tires have raceable life down to at least 60% & perhaps 55%. Now I will NEVER claim I can get the most out of a tire, but the two fronts were in the red quite often throughout the laps.
    And yes, afaik the BTCC change the tires for new skins every session/race.
    Donnington, another of our tracks, they raced 19, 16 & 16 laps on the short circuit.

15. stephen haley

stephen haley Registered

Dont worry man... I got you 20220809072005_1.jpg 20220809072005_1.jpg

16. Leynad

Leynad Registered

I know enough about slick-tyres to tell, they are not made to blow up after 35 min of use and that's what those BTCC-tyres in rF2 will essentially do or what will happen when they reach 0%? And I'm just talking about the mediums. The softs won't last 25 min. And asking questions about this odd tyre-wear behavior seems reasonable to me, even some fanboys can't even accept basic critical questions.

17. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Uhm, that has to do with driving style as well. You can be just as quick with far less tire wear. You just can't overdrive every single lap anymore (which you do a lot more than you might think). I managed to finish races with 40+% wear left at the worst tire on the Toyota in the TCC using the soft compound (those races took over half an hour). Look at the tire temps when driving or in motec after the fact if you can't. I bet you those temps go much higher than you think.

AMillward and Emery like this.
  18. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

Yesterday I did 20 laps of Donnington (that's 23 minutes) on soft tires and by the end of the race I had 30% wear on the front tires.

I don't quite understand why AI uses medium in qualifying and soft in the race.

19. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I haven't tested this properly because I usually only do about 10 min races but wouldn't a worn slick tyre that's being managed at a decent temp still provide plenty of grip?

20. Paulfield

Paulfield Registered