Huge performance differences even on very recent tracks

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by DrivingFast, Sep 26, 2019.

1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Hello S397.

There is a real problem in rF2.

I exclude from this thread all modded content and I speak only of the official content, especially the tracks.

There are huge performance differences even on very recent tracks, in exactly the same conditions (time, time scale, rain, clouds, graphical settings, cars used + car AI, multiclass, same AI visible, same number of AI, identical departure on the grid etc etc.........).

The performance differences are huge (reasonable performance differences are normal though).

I give you an example after. So what I want is to be homogenized performance (in part).

Thank you.

2. lagg

lagg Registered

The performance of the program not only depends on the user configuration.
    The amount of objects around the track of Monaco and Sebring are totally different and this is going to affect the performance.
    We can't ignore this aspect in the comparision.
    If a circuit has much more objects around the track than another, the way to have the same performance would be to reduce the quality of the objects.
    Instead of reducing the quality, i prefer to have well done the LOD and Visgroups.
    The way to have the same fps in two circuits totally different is change the level of detail and textures of the circuit.

Ho3n3r likes this.
  3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I totally agree that there are performance differences between circuits and it is normal.

Nevertheless not so much (read my example in the first post).

lagg likes this.
  4. Emery

Emery Registered

Well... they can always add more objects to the better fps tracks to match performance of the lower fps tracks. Would that be acceptable?

5. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I do not have any skills in this area (track creation), but I think it's important for S397 to identify which tracks have a much lower performance than normal (like Monaco ePrix), and try to optimize them.

Optimize them as much as possible, it is obvious that some tracks will always have less good performance, because of their characteristics.

6. enduser

enduser Registered

Optimization is always a challenge. Having said that the Monaco gp we have now is in total less than 1 mill polygons which is very low despite being a city circuit, Botniaring is 1.8 mill. Take any track if the terrain mesh density is very high it can easily double/triple the polycount, there are countryside track mods with more than 3 mil polygons.

Both tracks have high density road mesh (at least we ve seen Sebring is very detailed) so that evens out except if Monaco uses even higher density.

What AC does afaik is having separate visual and collision mesh so the road surface that you drive on is not rendered in your screen it only affects the physics but in replays you never see any bumps, you cant have it all i guess but its a good compromise if you want to favour performance.