Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by TurboHenk, Jul 16, 2021.
Ah! That could explain it! I’ll check tomorrow, thanks for the pointer.
Yesterday, my OpenXR Tools for WMR setting had the 'customised render scale' unticked - and this gave around 40fps in the offline test race.
I've just tried it as below (ticked and 100%) - exactly the same result. I am running 100% in SteamVR - and getting 90fps in the exact same offline test race conditions....
Right, I'm getting mightily tied in knots...
If I go into the WMR ->Headset Settings ->Display Resolution, WMR is running a total of 4320x2160 (i.e. native 2160x2160 per eye).
If I go into SteamVR Settings, under General -> Resolution per eye, I was running Custom (not aware I set that, but heh...) and 3160x3088 = '100%'
Further, under Video and Per Application settings, rF2 was set to the same - 100% and 3160x3088 (how on earth does this relate to the actual G2 native resolution???)
This setting running SteamVR gives me the happy 90fps... Changing the SteamVR settings to 'Default' rather than custom, fpsVR now reports a total resolution of 150%, a per-app resolution of 100% and an effective resolution of 3872x3784. The picture is sharper and performance is impacted with higher GPU utilisation in stressful situations...
I can't actually seem to find a way of getting a native multiple in SteamVR... Head spinning!
Ah, ok - this has been covered on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/c..._medium=Search&utm_name=Bing&utm_content=PSR1
I still have next to zero idea how to compare apples-and-apples!
50% in OpenXR tools and 50% in SteamVR will be the same resolution and should give you the same results.
Hmm. But by that logic 100% and 100% should be too - and aren’t giving anything like the same performance - and the SteamVR reported resolution doesn’t seem to agree either.
What do you see in these two windows?
Thanks for your persistence, @marklar! I’ll check later and report back.
Okay, yes - gotcha.
I actually have 3160x3088 at 100% in OpenXR for WMR - which matches SteamVR at 100%.
At 50% in OpenXR, I'm therefore a few pixels different to your figures (2232x2184) - which is also the figure at 50% in SteamVR.
This still doesn't get around the fact that I'm getting much better performance in SteamVR at 100% than OpenXR at 50%.
I can't see any other differences in my OpenXR for WMR details.
I'm using OpenXR toolkit v1.2.0, OpenComposite runtime switcher (rather than per-app DLL replacement), WMR app settings are for 'Best Visual Quality' and 4320x2160 'best quality', framerate 90Hz.
Appologies if this has already been mentioned. I posted my setup in Discord and assume you're the same person so just to recap:
Don't use OpenXR Tools for WMR. Uninstall it. You just need OpenXR Toolkit (not the same as OpenXR Tools).
If you used open composite system wide, go into it then "Switch to SteamVR"
Use the per app DLL replacement from OpenComposite (openvr_api.dll from https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/openxr) and copy to <steam folder>\steamapps\common\rFactor 2 and <steam folder>\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\bin64. Several people have reported issues with the System Wide switcher in rF2 (and other sims)
Ensure Windows Settings -> Mixed Reality -> Startup & Desktop -> Automatic start-up -> "When I open Mixed Reality Portal, automatically start Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" is off
Make sure you're not using ReShade, vrperfkit, openvr_fsr or any other related 3rd party software.
I hope that helps.
Thanks - I’ll try all that shortly.
I've solved my problem!
I don't know whether it was a hangover from when I used an Oculus Rift and Oculus Tray Tool (and dabbled with - but didn't get on with Opencomposite at the time) - but I have/had an Opencomposite.ini file in my Bin64 (and rf2 root) directories - and this file had a line 'Supersampling = 2.0' or similar.
Setting this back to 1.0 has unlocked at-least-as-good-as performance in the Open world as I have in SteamVR. I don't have time to test/tweak just now, but it's a solid (re)start.
Thanks for everyones help.
I'll document what my config now is in due course.
Separate names with a comma.