How to set pitstops in Rfactor 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FullThrottleF1, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

And while I think of it, the first setting is 0. So for my example FuelRange, I could set FuelSetting between 0 and 10 (11 total settings).

Your FuelSetting actually doesn't make sense (you're telling it to use the 11th setting, when there are only 10), but for fuel at least rF is smart enough to work out what you meant.

2. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

And what would be really great would to be able to set planned tyre changes as well as planned fuel stops.

3. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

Sorry I don't understand when you say in your example the first setting is 0?

Also does the first fuel range setting effect all the pit stops? As there is pitstoprange1, pit stoprange2 etc I'm not sure if these have to be all the same?

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Setting 0 is the first one. In my example, that would be 5L. Setting 10 (the last one) would be 30L (5 + (2.5 * 10)).

And it's not a 'first fuel range'. It's the size of the tank. You can't possibly put in more than the size of the tank at a pitstop.

All your pitstopranges can be the same, but don't have to be. What matters is what the different settings actually mean (based on the range settings, as above) and what you put for the Settings.

5. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

So is this better?
    Let's say it takes 5 litres of fuel to do a lap around Albert Park, and it's a 58 lap race. I want to make 2 pit stops.

FuelRange=(1.0, 1.0, 300)
    FuelSetting=100
    NumPitstopsRange=(0, 1, 4)
    NumPitstopsSetting=2
    Pitstop1Range=(1.0, 1.0, 300)
    Pitstop1Setting=75
    Pitstop2Range=(1.0, 1.0, 300)
    Pitstop2Setting=115

So in this case I want to pit on laps 20 and 35. So by calculating (5 litres x 20laps = 100 litres). This will take me to my first stop on lap 20.

I want my next stop to be on lap 35 which is 15 laps later. So by calculating (5 litres x 15 laps = 75 litres), this will take me to my second stop on lap 35.

I then need to last the end of the race on lap 58, which is a further 23 laps later. So by calculating (5 litres x 23 laps = 115 litres).

I hope this makes a little more sense of what I am trying to achieve. In my case I have created HDV files for each AI driver, and my goal is to create various fuel strategies by editing these values. Thanks for your help too.

6. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

OT

I would like a fuel calculator.

First you would need usage measurable down to the 0.1 of a litre not just 0.1 of Laps left

IF implemented then a group ( I would be happy to do F3 Eve ) would have to test every single car and every track combo, both at race speed and at pace car speed.

Extended yellows / safety cars in Nascar races you could dial in pit strategy a little better.

At the moment all you can do is get a rough idea.
    If we had measurements you could get a lap at full pace and SC down to the 0.1 litre.

Also the fact that different combos lie about the required fuel needed.

Then if we had a xml or whatever tool to put the x y z car + track + laps =
    Then allow for various safety cars periods to compare etc etc

Like with F3 Pics below you can see the difference with the minimum 2 litres running 130mph hotlap and the other at a constant 60mph. ( 55-65mph I let it wander a little to replicate concertina effect with safety/pace car)

*** Depicts the exact moment both runs went 0/0 litres on the guage
    ( Before Masta chicane and before Blanchimont, that is a fair way. )
    Of course every car will be different I assume.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
  7. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I've had a bit of a test of what you suggested and this is what I got. These were the fuel settings in the HDV I used:

FuelRange=(1.0, 1.0, 406)
    FuelSetting=20
    NumPitstopsRange=(0, 1, 4)
    NumPitstopsSetting=1
    Pitstop1Range=(1.0, 1.0, 406)
    Pitstop1Setting=60

I play as this driver and the fuel settings did work, I only had enough fuel for 5 laps (20 liters), and when I pitted I was refueled with 60 liters which would have taken me for another 17 laps approx. I also had a play around in my pit menu, in which I found I could increase my fuel up to 406 liters. Which is good as this is what I wanted to be the maximum for the fuel tank. This seems to work fine if you play as the driver.

However when I make the AI follow this exact fuel values, they do not follow. It seems the AI ignore these and go on for their own fuel settings. Interestingly they do follow the 'fuel range' but do not follow the 'fuel setting'. So this means they will pit once the fuel range is up. For example if I made the fuel range: FuelRange=(1.0, 1.0, 20) they will pit on lap 4, but continue to do every 4 laps as that is the maximum amount for the fuel range. Sadly they refuse to follow the fuel settings.

I know by editing these values in the HDV file, they are transferred to the game easy and simple. I thought I would share this, and would wonder if there's any pother thing I may be missing to get the AI to follow the fuel settings? Maybe it's just impossible or there could be something obvious or well hidden that could help me, I'm not sure?

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

FuelRange sets the size of the tank, FuelSetting determines the default starting amount. The amount able to be taken on at pitstops, and the default amount, is set by each PitstopXRange and PitstopXSetting. If you're (longer term) setting these per HDV I wonder whether tightening the ranges right down will force a particular behaviour.

If you set FuelRange=(1.0,1.0,20) you're saying the most the tank can hold is 20L. Again pitstops can't override that no matter what you do.

But let's say you make the fuel range larger, so the tank can hold 406L. Maybe if you then set:
    Pitstop1Range=(100,1,1) (which means there is a single available Pitstop1 setting, which is 100L) it will force them to do that. I honestly don't know.

As I said earlier, it's important you understand what the different settings actually mean and how the Ranges work (and the Settings along with them). Setting everything to (1.0, 1.0, xxx) could stop you being able to limit their options the way you want, because you're allowing every single L between 1 and the maximum.

9. cb_krueger

cb_krueger Registered

Hello, after two years of silence I want to reactivate the discussion about AI pitstop strategy.
    I tried to force the AI to pit stop by editing the HDV files as described hear.
    The only thing that forced the AI to a pit stop was the changing of the FuelRange. But this can not be the solution.
    By using this method, we have to edit very single team via team.hdv for every single track because of the different lap numbers and when stopping, the whole team come to the pit.
    So, this can not be the solution for a race against the AI and I canĀ“t believe that there is nothing done by studio-397 or ISI.
    Is there somebody who knows any other solution, or is the pit stop function via GDB file re-enabled?

RoboCAT10 likes this.
  10. Mat1k

Mat1k Registered

Mehh, it doesnt work. Now is a any way for command ai to go pit lane on identified laps?

11. ceecee

ceecee Registered

We use tyre wear in order to get the AI to pit.

12. Mat1k

Mat1k Registered

I dont understand what you think...

13. Vance Le Garde

Vance Le Garde Registered

What if each car had a specific fuel tank size, that would just mean you would have to create a separate HDV file for each vehicle.

14. Mat1k

Mat1k Registered

I do that.

I have got one more question. AI use only tyre HyperSoft on track... How i can change this? I want AI use only SuperSoft?

15. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Which Mod and track and what is the length of your races?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  16. Mat1k

Mat1k Registered

Problem solved, its ok.

17. ceecee

ceecee Registered

In case you found a different method to do this (I fought with this problem for ages before finding a solution), can you explain the system you are using ?

18. Mat1k

Mat1k Registered

In files Tires.tbc i change value softness and wear rate.
    Np.
    [HyperSoft]
    Wear rate: 16.1e-7 on xx.xe-7
    Softness: 0.6 on x.x

I do this same with Ultra Soft. You must change no maater that value.

I start single player and AI use SuperSoft.

If you want AI drive in Medium u must too change value in SuperSoft and Soft. It worked to me. Mod F1ASR2018.

ceecee likes this.
  19. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Thanks for the answer.
    I use the Force Settings mode which produces a trackconfig file which I copy to the AI.

20. Mat1k

Mat1k Registered

Ok, nice.

But i still can't command AI to go to the pit stop. Idea with fuel doesn't work for me :/. It's really frustrating, S397 still don't do anything in this case? Eh.. I am disappointed :(.