How to run with fixed upgrades on your server?

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Mee, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Mee

Mee Registered

For our league I wanted to run a server session with fixed upgrades in rF2. However, I didn't find any clue on how I should enforce them on this forum. There's a checkbox "Fixed upgrades" on the dedicated server, but how does it work?
    I found out the FavoriteAndFixedSetups.gal file is the solution for this.

Here's how I apply fixed upgrades:
    - start rFactor 2 in single player and select the car and track combo you're going to run on the server.
    - when selecting the car, go to 'Tuning' and select the upgrades you want to enforce.
    - click on the 'Force setup' button on the top right.
    - exit rF2.
    - now you can browse to ..\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings, where you will find a folder named after your selected car (in my example, ISI_Honda_NSX_1991)
    - go a step deeper in the *MOD*_UPGRADES folder, where you will find a file named 'trackconfig*TRACKNAME*. This is the file you need. If there are multiple layouts, pick the one you're going to run on.
    - if you open the file, you'll get something like this:
    Code:
    "1966 Brianza":
    Tire Size=1
    Engine=2
    Gear Ratios=0
    Limited Slip Differential=0
    Drive Handedness=0
    Wheels=0
    Brakes=0
    Headlights=0
    Level of Detail (LOD)=0
    - these lines detail the selected upgrades for a specific track (and layout). Let's copy all of these lines and paste them in the file '..\rFactor 2\UserData\player\FavoriteAndFixedSetups.gal'.
    - if you are starting the dedicated server with the 'Fixed upgrades'-option now, the server will pick up the above settings and enforce them to anyone who joins the server.

- NOTE 1: when picking your car while joining the server, you can still choose every upgrade you like. But when you are entering the server, the fixed upgrades will be applied.
    - NOTE 2: I suppose if you only want to partially push an upgrade, you can remove the lines you don't want to enforce. So if I don't want to limit the gear ratio's, I'd remove the Gear ratios=0 line. I haven't tested this.
    - NOTE 3: I'm pretty sure you can have multiple entries in FavoriteAndFixedSetups.gal for multiple tracks.

I may be telling you things you already know, but I couldn't find the answer on the forum. If you have a shorter way of doing this, do tell!

Doesn't work!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2014
  2. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

This is very interesting actually

3. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Nice found!

Basically the same as "fixed setup".

But i would make a small update package of the car that only contains the "upgrades" file with only the allowed upgrades.
    Once you have the update package, Make the Vmods and embed that package in the Vmod and Done!

Only the upgrades you have allowed in the upgrades file are selectable.

Just another method to do the same. :)

4. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

@Gijs, That would not make it possible to allow different packages for different events/tracks without modifying files each time.

5. Mee

Mee Registered

No, but it would at least work. I have to retract my first post, because it turns out on my client pc I didn't remove the ..\rFactor2\UserData\player\Settings\ISI_Honda_NSX_1991 folder. So on my client it looked okay, but once I remove this defaults-folder it doesn't work anymore. Every time you start or end the dedicated server, it clears the FavoriteAndFixedSetups.gal-file.

I'll edit this thread to not-solved, however Gijs's suggestion is a very good one for me and I'll try this out.

6. Gijs van Elderen

And Why not?

Once you have the update package you can make the Vmods for each track. But it's advisable for users to un-install there Vmod after the race and before installing the next one.

Or

You can make 1 League Vmod with all the tracks. This the intention of the Vmod anyway. And it's more easy to setup the server for the next race.
    Users can practice all tracks by selecting the League Series in offline mode.

7. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I can only repeat myself, no need for that :)

8. Gijs van Elderen

To answer your question: You don't need to create different update-packages or changes files for different events/tracks.

9. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Yes, as I wrote... I didn't ask any questions, you did.

10. Matt21

Matt21 Registered

11. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered