How to preinstall carskins for a mod without making new VEH entries

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by EmperorOfFinland, Jul 15, 2022.

1. EmperorOfFinland

EmperorOfFinland Registered

I have sorta of a problem that i dont know how to preinstall carskins with a mod im making so people have access to the skins already existing on the mod itself.

So what is the way to preinstall skins without a skinpack mod?
    @redapg

2. redapg

redapg Registered

Sorry, i'm not sure if i understand what you want to do.
    What does "preinstall" mean?

3. EmperorOfFinland

So it means that when i package and make people install the mod the mod already comes with extra skins for the cars that are pickable on the skin menu for the car

Extra Skins.png

So that i can preinstall the skins for the car so the user can adjust them when required as otherwise i have to make seperate entries for carmodels

And that means additional vehiclefiles. i used wccarbody and wcextra7 to assign carskins but wcextras no longer work as skinadjustable skins anymore. so i have to use wccarbody, but only one skin can be assigned for the cars that way. so i need a way to preinstall car liveryskins so people can just select a skin from there to the addon cars.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  4. redapg

redapg Registered

Sorry, but i still don't understand it or misunderstand you.
    If you include Skins without a veh File in the rfcmp, the user can not select them.
    And the "loose" Skins System, that allows to use own Skins, is independent of the rfcmp.

5. EmperorOfFinland

So that i would have skins that people can pick for the cars without resorting to wcextra instances without having to use a skinpack for the mod

6. redapg

redapg Registered

I still don't understand what you want to do and what does "without resorting to wcextra instances" mean?
    As said, you can not put only Skins without a veh File into your rfcmp, if you want to have them selectable by the User.

7. EmperorOfFinland

so what is the way to get them to be selectable by user? a skinpack? or just generating a sepearate vehicle file for the carmodels? and assiging a skin for that specific carbody so all the cars can be reskinned later if needed.

I would opt with additional vehiclefile for the car so i will seperate the different car models and skins like that. as if i use WCextra instances no one can reskin the car in the game at all. so that means no skins for anyone. im trying to have upgrade carmodels that also have access to the skins as the skins are obiviously different between carmodels

8. redapg

redapg Registered

That is why i ask what you want to do. :)
    That what you want to do, as far as i understand it, doesn't work in that Way.
    The best Thing, if the Mod uses WCCARBODY and also a WCEXTRA Material for Body Parts, is to map/merge these to 1 Texture only.
    In that Way the People can paint and use their own Skins as usual.
    If you need Help with it, inform me.

9. EmperorOfFinland

yeah im just thinking the most intelligent way of doing it so it wont mean people have to have seperate skins for the added cars lets say i have 2 models of cars with completely different skins. i need to be able to assign a skin to the second model but the only way to do that is to use wc wcextra skin as if i use wccarbody it automatically defaults to the main skin that the car has so the second car has a broken skin.

So i need a way to get the skin to the second car preinstalled with the mod or otherwise people will complain that the first skin that gets installed wont work on the second car. so that either means i generate another veh entry that has only that specific carmodel and assign skin to it.

As the mod comes with skins already it would be much more convinient to just use existing skins and have them be selectable like in Rfactor 1 when you could pick premade skins on the skins menu.

10. redapg

redapg Registered

And that is the Problem in such Cases, because that doesn't work anymore in rF2.

11. EmperorOfFinland

I decided to split the veh files to seperate ones for each skin. is there a limit to the length of the VEH file names? @redapg

As i have to rewrite the vehicle files completely cause of that. And it would be nice to know if there is any limitations i need to take into account.

12. redapg

redapg Registered

@EmperorOfFinland If i remember it right, you can use a max. of 15 Characters for veh File Names and you have to avoid special Characters, except of an Underline and white Spaces.

13. EmperorOfFinland

I managed to get it working how i want but the main issue is that i have to generate a new vehicle file for each skin. this means that it will take about 40-60hours to do it for all of the drivers as i have to reorganise the upgradefiles. rewrite vehicle files and add new stuff and change things on them.

It would literally be so much easier if i could just get the skins to the cars but that is basically impossible. It will delay the mod for 1-2 months at least.