How to make new car sounds for official content

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by doddynco, Jan 6, 2022.

Tags:
  1. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Here's how to create sound mods for official content. I don't go in any detail here about how to create an sfx file and car sounds - that is beyond the scope of this tutorial and is perhaps for another day. This assumes you can already get car sounds to function in game using the .sfx file.

This guides you though the process of how to put an already completed soundset (the .sfx and wav files) onto official content. This is tried and tested on the Radical SR3 XX so I will use that an an example in this tutorial.

1. Find, duplicate and rename the version folder containing either the car.mas or the car-upgrades.mas (whichever one contains the upgrades.ini). In the Radicals case this was the folder called 1.05 located here: \Installed\Vehicles\Radical_SR3-XX_2020\1.05

I've just renamed this duplicated folder as 'R'

2.Extract the upgrades.ini from the car.mas (or car-upgrades.mas), and place it in the same 'Radical_SR3-XX_2020' folder. It should look like this:

upload_2022-1-6_1-3-53.png

3.Create a new Rfcmp file:

upload_2022-1-6_1-4-9.png

4.Now open the upgrades file and add in all the data from an already existing SFX file using the upgrades format, making sure to get all your brackets in the right places, and making sure there are no lines in the file that are just pointless text (use // if you want to make a line invisible). Every active sound line in the Upgrades.ini must have SFX= in front of it. Here is an extract (which just shows the engine sounds) of the Radicals new upgrades ini. You have the option in the tuning menu to select the S397 sounds too, but I've placed this as the second upgrade to select in the list because I want the mod sounds to be the default once it's been installed.

If for example, you want to keep the backfire sounds from S397, then leave this line out of the upgrades ini.

The full Radical upgrades.ini and the Benetton.sfx (which is where the soundset is sourced from) are downloadable, attached to this post.

------as a side note: The location folders (in my case 1986_sound_HE\BENETTON\) don't matter, just leave them as they are in the .sfx. They do nothing in this case so no need to change them.

START******************************************START

//
    // Radical SR3 RSX 2017 upgrades file
    //
    //
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

BaseVehiclePrice=0
    UnlockExperience=0

//DisplayClassOverride="SR3 RSX"

UpgradeType="Sound Mod"
    {

UpgradeLevel="Sound Upgrade"
    {
    Description="3rd Party Mod Sounds by Doddynco"

// ENGINE SOUNDS (INSIDE)

SFX=VS_INSIDE_COAST_ENGINE_3=1.3,1986_sound_HE\BENETTON\Rev0_3.wav
    SFX=VS_INSIDE_COAST_ENGINE_4=4.2,1986_sound_HE\BENETTON\Rev0_4.wav
    SFX=VS_INSIDE_COAST_ENGINE_5=3.7,1986_sound_HE\BENETTON\Rev0_5.wav
    Continues........................
    SFX=EngRPMPowerOutside=(3,4838,8556,6593)
    SFX=EngRPMPowerOutside=(4,7990,9900,10630)
    SFX=EngRPMPowerOutside=(5,8950,11100,10630)
    SFX=EngRPMPowerOutside=(6,10850,11500,12132)

}

UpgradeLevel="Default"
    {
    Description="The stock Radical sounds from S397"
    }
    }

END******************************************END

5. In mas editor, Open the car-upgrades.mas or car.mas from inside the /R folder and overwrite the existing upgrades ini with your new upgrades ini. Now drop in all of the wav samples required by the SFX and save the mas file.

6. Staying in mas editor, create the package file, select create single cmp package.
    • Component name should be the name of the car folder e.g. Radical_SR3-XX_2020.
    • The component file is the empty rfcmp you made in step 3.
    • It's ideal to signify the version number as a 'alternative' version, so I call mine 1.05b.
    • Type = 'vehicle'.
    • 'Update from' and 'Minimum build' must be the latest offical version number.
    • Load in your mas file from your 'R' folder.
    upload_2022-1-6_1-4-35.png

7. Click package, then install.

Reboot the game and you should see the version number of the car has changed and with some luck and smooth sailing you will hear your new sound on the official car.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    makan, PatientRF2fan, atomed and 5 others like this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Will this process survive an S397 update to a different version number of the car?

3. doddynco

doddynco Registered

No I don't think so. But you would only have to do step 6 (create the package file) again. If S397 make changes to the Upgrades.ini in their new version (which I think is not that likely), it would be a good idea to use the new text in this latest file to overwrite S397's old text in your sound mod upgrades ini.

davehenrie likes this.