how to get smooth performance out of amd gpu?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sido Weijer, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Sido Weijer

Sido Weijer Registered

Got a good deal on a r9 280x to replace my 660ti which couldnt always keep 60 fps with triple screens.
    Fps arent a problem anymore, but i cant seem to get rf2 to run smooth.
    Had the same issue with the 660ti first,but mamaged to solve that by setting prerendered frames to 1 and forcing vsync trough nvidia controlpanel.
    Any tips for my new gpu?
    I already tried fiddling with flip queue size and different vsync options.
    In rf2 the bottom part of the purple graph is fluctuating a bit, while it used to be a straight line on the left with my old gpu.
    Edit: cpu is an i5-4460

2. Comante

Comante Registered

I almost have your very same hardware, I have a R9 270 dual X (or something like that,is a 5% overclocked 270X gpu , and RF2 run smooth, the problem I had was continuos CTD's, that were mostly solved using FULLSCREEN mode and NO overclocking (maybe is because the card is overclocked by factory). I would suggest a driver cleanup and reinstall if you haven't already done it. How many GB's ram has your GPU? Mine is 2GB.

3. Sido Weijer

Sido Weijer Registered

Thanks for your reaction Comante. I always use fullscreen mode and didn't overlock my gpu. The gpu has 3gb of ram btw.

Anyone else here with an AMD card? Any tips on settings or how you are running things are welcome.

4. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I run an R9 380 at 5760 x 1080 and typically get 90 FPS. The 390 model I have is the "short" card with only 2gb of memory. Things that kill FPS on this card: reflections. Antialiasing of 8 kills the frames, so I run it at 4. I also don't care tremendously about the offtrack graphics, so I tone down anything that I consider unnecessary. Here's a recent post about the R9 where some settings are listed (including mine). http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/29279-Some-questions-for-R9-380-owners

5. Sido Weijer

Sido Weijer Registered

Thanks for the help.

I've been testing some more and it looks like running borderless is the golden ticket. Hope that will prove true with eyefinity as well, if my cables finally arrive this week.