How to get optionnal part with genstring?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by MaD_King, Feb 18, 2012.

1. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Hi all, I search a mean to get a part of a car present or not depending of the genstring used in the veh.

For example:
    A car with front winglet and another same car without front winglet.
    So in the veh I want to put a value in genstring for example to manage this.

I don't want an invisible or empty 3D part to simulate a removed winglet, and I don't want to use Upgrades.

Someone with a solution?

2. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

I hope I understood you correctly, but I think you should just use different gen files or something like this :D

3. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

Is it too much trouble using two different GEN-files?

4. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

I have 3 elements in my car in this situation and I can do combination with them.
    For example for one team, no winglet, for the other no rear winglet, and the last no front cover, and other some have or not depending.
    So if I want to cover all my combination I will have more gen than veh :)

5. Devin

Devin Member Staff Member

Why don't u want to use upgrades or something like that?

6. anthing

anthing Registered

Not sure if I got what you are wanting here :)

You have wing gmt for one car called WING01.gmt. If you want to use this for one car only you add Genstring=01 in that cars veh file that you wish to have it. Then you need to add wing instance in gen file with WING<12>.gmt. The game should now pick this 01 wing for your car that has 01 as its genstring.
    But about that wingless car you want. Not sure how it works. Havent tested but I was thinking would it leave it wingless if you leave Genstring empty for the wanted car?

And Im sorry if I remembered something wrong here :) And please do correct me if I was.

7. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Because I don't want to leave the player to choose, but each car can have different static assembly. So it's in the veh I need to parameter this.
    I think it will be mandatory to have "empty" hidden 3D model to do that :(.

8. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I think it is then just easier to give all the different cars specific GEN-files. I never really understood how Genstring works.

9. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

I followed your solution, I made 3 gen specific files.

10. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho Registered

I don't think that is easier at all. I think it is MUCH easier to use the upgrades or an empty part. Now you have three different GEN files to maintain. Personally, I would have gone with the empty part option and selected it with the GenString. When I say maintain I mean if you decide your LODin/LODout values are too close you have to change every GEN file. That can take quite a while if you have to change them for several parts. If you are adverse to GenStrings then the upgrades file is a viable option. In my opinion different GEN files is the option of last resort but I guess opinions vary.

11. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

I totally agree, at this time, there is not problem for this, because I'am in developpement phase. I will test the empty option when the development will be more stable to check if there a performance/memory impact or not.