How to easily destroy installed mod

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by jtbo, Jan 27, 2012.

1. jtbo

jtbo Registered

I think this is bit stupid on many levels, but here is how you can make Meganes not loading and not installing any longer to your rF2 installation.

Open Mas2.exe
    Open file rf2data\Installed\Vehicles\Meganes2009\1.0\Megane_MAIN.mas
    Extract M2009.gen
    Make back up from M2009.gen
    Make edit to M2009.gen, I edited range of lights.
    Put M2009.gen back to MAS2.exe by dragging and dropping, save MAS file.

Start rF2 in single player and notice how no more meganes are available.

Shut down launcher and notice that when you start launcher again it does complain Mod "Renault Megane Trophy 1.0" failed to verify, removed from inventory

Putting original M2009.gen back does not help, removing Meganes from Installed folder does not help, there is no way to reinstall meganes from rfmod as it fails to verify and only way to get it installed again is probably removal of rF2 completely and reinstalling to different folder than originally as if installing to same folder that mod fails to verify.

Of course that is wrong way to do things, it is how before we could change things, but now it causes whole software to be removed and installed again.

I guess I should of done component, should of put M2009.gen to new .mas alone and create component that contains that .mas, but now I need to move all mods I have worked with to safe place, remove rF2 and reinstall it to another location, all the settings also should be backed up before and restored after.

So, do not touch what is at installed folder, it breaks everything.

I think it should really be possible to reinstall rfmod files without need of reinstalling whole software, it is not rfmod that is changed after all.
    So some improvements might be good to this aspect of system.

Well, this fits to modding and rfmods, but here it would at least warn others, however I doubt anyone is capable of such stupid moves :p

edit: A-Ha, no need to reinstall when you can remove manifest from manifests folder, then you can reinstall mod you destroyed.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2012
  2. taufikp

taufikp Registered

Thanks for this valuable information. What you have done was exactly how I would do, because that's just how rFactor1 modding works.