how to create my own PSD templates/ skins for a fresh car build in 3ds max?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Anonim, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Anonim

Anonim Registered

please could someone give me a link or tutorial where I can learn how to build PSD files for my cars! (future mods)

p.s. I haven't found anything in PDF tutorials posted by Tim!

2. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

1 person likes this.
  3. Anonim

Anonim Registered

WOW thanx! that's what I was looking for!!!! :)

4. soledad

soledad Registered

Hi Anonim, hope you don't mind me jumping in but I was about to ask the same thing ;) I found the ISI tutorials very helpful but somehow I couldn't find anything on how to make templates myself. This is of course more about 3d design in general, and I'm still learning that to, it's hard but fun !

This tutorial is a great help already (thanx Johannes) but I would like to ask though if there are any tutorials/websites more towards rFactor and car templates. It would be so great to see someone do the entire process of a unwrapping and creating a template from a car model. I've been searching and reading on this for a couple of days now but couldn't find anything.

I kinda worked out how to work with the UVW unwrap to flatten my car model, but it's still a bit of a mess. There are way too many objects in my template. I not sure about how to group/connect them so the template only consists of a few basic shapes, roof, doors .. (maybe I should start another topic about this?)

5. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

6. Johannes Rojola

I rarely use the "flatten mapping" option anymore because even it works it makes the texture complete mess.

When in unwrap-modifier, choose to work with Faces. Then click on the model and select only those faces (polys) you want to be mapped together. For example, select only the faces from the hood part. Then click either "quick planar map" or choose Mapping -> Normal Mapping -> Top/Bottom mapping depending on the shape of the car and hood. Needless to say, boxy cars are easier to map without lot of distortion than very round cars.

Go through the car part by part mapping different sections separately. I usually do follows: Sides/roof pillars, Front end, rear end, hood/roof/deck lid, bumpers etc etc. Then I carefully align all the parts together in unwrap vertex mode.

Making good texture wrap takes a lot time and thought.

7. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

if you use my method it will unwrap your car in a nice neat way if you've built it well... there may be some errant faces that need to be placed but most of it will come out like our normal templates do.

8. soledad

soledad Registered

thanks a lot for this very useful information guys !

I've just got my first texture on the car yey :) and the car in rFactor ;) It looks just as expected in the showroom but when driving it, it's still a bit of a mess (chrome car, read about it in the forum, sometimes black car), so I guess this is because of the alpha channel and the material layers (damage, cube etc .. ) which I don't know yet how to make. The next thing to figure out ;) Don't think I've seen anything in the tutorials yet about making these layers.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2012
  9. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Oooooooooohhhhh, so that is the secret of making it well :D

I have always cursed and frustrated with box mapping as none of tutorials I found are actually telling you can actually do it manually, now I can see it being rather handy with this method, must try it sometimes, thx :)

10. D1Racer

D1Racer Registered

If the car shows correct texture in showroom and not race track, sometimes it's because you didn't save the cars default livery in the teams folder aswell as the maps folder.

11. soledad

soledad Registered

12. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

nice find Soledad.

13. Johannes Rojola