How to create billboard trees in blender?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Spears, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Spears

Spears Registered

The title says it all. An explanation on how to create billboard trees in blender.

2. Spears

Spears Registered

nobody uses blender?

3. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I don't think it's possible. The gmt export options in the max plugins is where we define billboard and which side it rotates.

4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Maybe... I have tried it once, but whole object was rotating, not individual meshes, and it was rotating in very bad way.

I am just making my first steps in rF2 modding. I use Travellers blender addon, but so far I only used it for exporting .fbx. But it is really meant to be for exporting .gmt, and I still haven't got to use it well in that way. I would preffer .fbx. Maybe then it would be possible to get something in combination with gjed. But it is complicated... Travellers script are also unfinished. Hopefully he'll find some time and motivation to continue them.

5. ReaperNZ

ReaperNZ Registered

where can i find a tutorial on how to make & add billboard trees or 3d trees to my rf2 track ?

6. Martin Lacina

Martin Lacina Registered

Hello guys. I tried a long time to create billboarding trees in blender but with no success but i have to say now i found the way how to do it. So the trees are rotate well with proper pivot point. When somebody would be interest i can share some instructions.

7. svictor

svictor Registered

You can do it with Gjedit as well, as long as you find a way to assign 99% Alpha to Vertices color for GMT (can be done in 3dsimed, not sure if possible in blender), here is guide:

philrob likes this.
  8. Emery

Emery Registered

With 3dsimed, would it not be simpler to just isolate the texture and substitute with the desired image file of the same dimension? The object could then be resized at will?