How to create a render scene with RF2's cars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GaetanL, Jun 27, 2013.

1. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

All is in title :p
    For exemple that is a render scene with a Race07's car and custom skin.

[​IMG]

Somebody know how make this with RF2 (softwares need to use and files from RF2) ?

Thanks,

2. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

One way is import the 3d models to a 3d software and make your scenes, one common is 3d Max. The models are .gmt files wich are inside the .mas files.

3. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Ok thank

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

When you use the .gmt files in Max, do you have to go through the process of mapping the skin file as well? Also known as UV mapping?

5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Mapping will follow, but to make a render you'll have to assign new shaders/materials/settings for everything.

6. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

No, the models imported comes with their respective UVW map, the only thing you must do is re-asign the texture, but the mapping preveal from factory ;)

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Good to know that there isn't going to need to be any UVW mapping required. I can remap a texture to a specific part of the body no issues, I just haven't learned how to get the map oriented correctly in the first place.

Thanks guys.

8. tjc

tjc Registered

Guys...

First off, total noob when it comes to this stuff (3d modeling etc) so bare with me.

Basically I`d like to do a nice render of a couple of skins I`ve done but have no idea where to start, or what software will work for this. If it`s only something like 3ds max (or another pay software) then I`m going to have to forget it as I can`t afford that atm (saving for big pc upgrade)

If free software will work ok (gmax - blender etc) then I could try and learn how to do this.

So, before I go any further, will any of the free software work for this?

If yes then I`ll maybe have some questions for you guys... if no then there will be no more questions lol :p

9. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

After some advice Blender seems good. For example : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xGw1tMyL7o
    Ok advices are in french but surely it's possible to find same demonstration in english.
    Stay how to move a background for the render and how to use a skin with the 3d model, for now I have do not test it.

10. tjc

tjc Registered

Cool... I didn`t really think free software would work tbh (don`t know why :p)

I`ll check out that video and see if I can track down some tuts in English.

What are the names of the files that I`d need for the vette? I had a quick try by extracting a file I thought would work but it wouldn`t open in Blender...

11. hoover

hoover Registered

Please keep us posted on your progress, i've been thinking of dabbling in 3d for decades (literally ;)) but never gotten around to it because of proprietary software & of course time requirements. If we could get Blender to work with rF2 reliably it'd be great news for the community indeed!

Cheers, Uwe

12. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

Well, using Blender to render a car isn't the problem. Check here for example: Rendering a Sports Car in Blender

You can't, however, just extract the 3d-Model and use it in Blender. For this you HAVE to use 3d Max which is very expensive. It would really be helpful if one of those that use Max could extract the models and export them to a format that is compatible with Blender (*.obj might be the most suitable but there is a list of formats)

13. tjc

tjc Registered

Ahh right...

Good info here I3bullets and it explains why my experimenting hasn`t been working. :(

It would indeed be very good and very much appreciated if those that have 3d Max could extract the models and export them to a format that would be compatible with Blender...

Hopefully someone will do that.

Appreciate that link too, it`s quite a long video but I`ll bookmark and watch it later. :)

14. GaetanL

GaetanL Registered

Maybe ISI staff can be give us some .obj or anything compatible format :rolleyes:

15. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Most of the formats listed in that link for the list of formats are for export only. There are only really a couple that might work for importing and of those the .obj format is the most likely to succeed. I will have a look at what it is going to take to extract and convert and see if I can get that done some time in the near future, though I do have to stay up on my school work as well so it might take a little time.

I would like to point out though that any student has the ability to download and use 3ds Max for free from Autodesk as long as you meet the requirements that they list on their site for being a student.

16. tjc

tjc Registered

It would be very much appreciated if you could have a look at converting some of those files Gearjammer. I`d really like to see some of my skins done in a nice render.

On the student thing, I may very well be a student in the near(ish) future so I`ll keep that "free for students" thing in mind. :)

17. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Well after doing some checking around it seems I need an importer for max 2012 in order to get the gmt files to where I can work with them. Anyone know where I can get this importer as I am not finding it in the dev corner for rf2.

18. tjc

tjc Registered

Anyone? ^^

Be really good if we could get those files converted. :)

19. I3bullets

I3bullets Registered

20. Type-R

Type-R Registered

There is no plugin to import rf2 gmt files to 3ds max, though there is one for rf1. The only possibility I can think of is to open rf2 gmts with 3dsimed and then export to some suitable format for 3ds max.