How to control the brightness of track side lights

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Driven, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Driven

Driven Registered

As the title says.
    I have used and followed the track lights example supplied. BUT the lights are to bright.
    I have tried changing the color of the difuse emissive etc with no success.How do I control the brightness of the glow mesh.

2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I think the only way you control the brightness is by the size of the GLOW mesh.

Driven likes this.
  3. Driven

Driven Registered

Thanks Nib.

4. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

[​IMG]

You can find the tutorial here: https://docs.studio-397.com/developers-guide/tracks/track-art/guidelines-for-track-artists

At the end of the tutorial there is a .zip with a light example, and the shader+texture you need to manage both color and light intensity.

5. Driven

Driven Registered

I followed that and used the settings in the example file but the bloom and brightness is to much.
    Making the glow mesh smaller as Nibiru said has helped.
    I also increased the intensity of the omni from 4.5 to 15.0 and that has helped also.

You say you need to manage the colour and light intensity. Can you add more to that.

6. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Map your glow mesh using the shader and the texure in the example, and move your glow mesh UV up or down in the light bars. Left bar is for white color, center is for cold and right is for warm. Up/Down is for intensity. Make your UV small as the one in the example. Of course this works, if dont for you, means you are doing wrong.

This is the only system that does not interfer with PFX threshold.

Nibiru likes this.
  7. Driven

Driven Registered

Ok did some test.
    1 I made the UVs very small
    2 placed then at the top of the warm.
    The bloom/glow looked smaller but not small enough (so maybe making the UVs smaller might help)
    3 I moved the UVs down to the bottom and that made the glow bigger so I guess the smaller the UV at the highest on the map gives the lowest bloom/glow?

8. KittX

KittX Registered

Nope, the highest of the UV gives most bloom. But beware, don't map your lights onto the comments in the bottom, as they are 100% white, will give max bloom as well. Size of UVs matter only in case you want your light to have evenly spread bloom, no brighter parts... So yeah, smaller is better.