How to assign terrain properties to road/surface objects

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by enduser, Jun 23, 2019.

1. enduser

enduser Registered

Hi, i want to implement a bumpy cement like surface but i cant find anything about relating different parts of the terrain to the tdf file and different types of surface. Since i dont have 3ds max yt tutorials are no good for me , i only use 3dsimed so help pls!

I have existing working materials with textures assigned i only need to change to rough terrain type.

I d also like to ask what things are defined in "racesurface_" objects, eg. does it make any difference to AI or it is only for the graphics engine?

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Material names define what they are. You can look in the tdf file for what the names can be(you can also add names if you want).
    Racesurface I think just tells the game that it's going to get rubbered in.

3. enduser

enduser Registered

You mean a suffix like materialname_asphaltnew , isnt racesurface materials supposed to be named with _WET tho, can i use both? and since WET is used what tarmac type is used for the track, is there a default used?

thx

4. Coutie

Well, it takes it from the start, so something like asph_wet would be fine.

5. enduser

enduser Registered

I see, how about the grip values , do i need to add it under [TRACKVARS]? I m looking at joesville tdf atm and something that confuses me is that in the [feedback] section you have Materials=rmbl but in [TRACKVARS] you have RumbleDryGrip=0.96, is that correct or i m missing something (i dont see any material named "rumble"), sry this is all new to me.

6. Coutie

Trackvars section is just so you can have a global value for something, you just have to edit one thing instead of a lot of things.

7. enduser

enduser Registered

Ok lets try again! [feedback] begins with "Wear=1.00 Dry=1.00 Wet=0.84 ..." these are grip levels?
    Because in "ovalrd" there is Dry=RoadDryGrip.

8. Coutie

I answered your question already. You have a global value in the trackvars, and then you can have whatever you want in the feedback. Why don't you change the number and see what happens.

9. enduser

enduser Registered

Thanks for all your quick replies! I just want to make sure plus i ll test it in the track anyway.

Plenty of trial & error done over time , but i have some things not figured out yet and i m trying to speed things up a bit, lanching rf2 everytime is a slow process overall not very practical, i ve done it enough times already! And tbh 3dsimed is very slow to work with or else i have certain scenes ready by now where albedo mapping and material work is done.