How to allow same track same mod race?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MystaMagoo, Oct 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jorgen

Jorgen Registered

Not sure if there is a current stance, but Scott Juliano wrote the following back in December 2011:

That might be just what is needed to cure the problem. Personally I cannot see vMods serving any purpose at all since both tracks and vehicles are identified by checksums and have version numbers, but I guess there is a technical reason behind it. Full post is here for the curious:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...w-tutorial-video?p=20281&viewfull=1#post20281

2. nuggetr

nuggetr Registered

Have to agree with Mystamagoo on this one, system is a pain. And half the reason rooms are empty ISI were told this when rf2 first came out
    and still wont listen

3. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

"they're not using"?
    Correct me if I've read your reply wrong but are you saying if the server is set up 'correctly' then people could join a multi track server,even if they have only just 1 of those tracks?

I'm still no clearer on the issue.

I know why it was closed,something more along the lines of... [SOLVED] - How to get annoyed by trying to just sit n go.? :D
    I could of gone advanced and removed the prefix and reworded the title though.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
  4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

It might be a little more work for the admin to initially setup, but really you should have a vMod per race. So only 1 track per event.

If you are running the C6R at three tracks, you make 3 vMods.
    C6R + track 1
    C6R + 2
    C6R + 3

People then can join any that they have the car and track for.

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

That raises a previous question Tim, when do replays and xml files finish being written?
    Because if its at the end of the event-cycle, admins will have to wait until the server is done and let it re-load current event. and then load vmod2 and re-reload. Not sure If that will make peeps tag along for long in public racing?

6. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Registered

That means an admin has to man the server for a simple rotation of 3 tracks...the admin then has to also shut the server to switch the vmod forcing all drivers out for a couple of minutes then rejoin...imo that's a bogus idea for a public room

7. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

That is great news!

8. 88mphTim

I don't think it's perfect, just giving the answer asked. Could still debate just how beneficial it is to rotate tracks that often. In any case, I think we do need a way, even if via INI, to pre-program:
    Use vMod 1, this settings group.
    Use vMod 2, other settings group.
    Use vMod 3, third settings group.
    Use vMod 1, third settings group again.

And leave it to it.

9. B. Gant

B. Gant Registered

gettin ready to bring my league over to rF2 this winter. Us admin's all hate the vmod system I see, but hey its ISI's call....having the "Get Mod" function with a rf1 online setup (racing a specific car anywhere u want without vmod) would have been perfect. but ah well.

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

vmods presets sounds pretty good Tim. If its set to follow a certain path it could even be controlled via UI, instead of next-track command there could be a next-vmod button for admins to press or looping them as the server loads next. and even by voting I imagine.

11. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Having all these options for League admins is great :)
    But how come we have taken a step back from rF1?

rF1 had no problem allowing you to race if you had the same components mod/track.
    All rF1 needed was getmod.
    All rF2 needs is to be allowed to join a server if you have the current mod and track.

Every admin/League will have their own way of doing things so 'ways around' this problem is pointless.

Just let us join the server until their is a current mismatch.

12. 88mphTim

We've begun internal debate of this issue again... I need to go quiet on it until I know what I'm talking about again... lol

13. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I guess that a partial install of a vmod could be used. If some tracks are missing it wouldnt be a problem. As long as the missing tracks aren't loaded of course. It might be useful as well to preset a vmod for a full league championship without making people download all the required tracks coming in the future.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk

14. B. Gant

B. Gant Registered

+1, +2, + countless more....lol :)

15. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Good point Spaksis. I was already programming myself to keep things separately and 'work around' the issue with the vmods. it would work i'm sure but it would be much much better to just release an entire season in one go and not having to think about it anymore. members happy, random joiners happy, and not entirely unimportant, admins happy as well :)

Happy people everywhere :)

16. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

well, and besides getmod, maybe something to check that the track/car excually IS the same, because that wasn't always the case in rF1 (it thought it was okay, but then you joined, and they had their own teams or something creating a mismatch, and a kick ;) )

For me, I hardly play online atm. When browsing the server list I can't see if I excually have the car/track, or if their are multiple tracks of which I have some or not, etc. That, and the fact I don't want to have lots of vMods with basicly the same content, except for some small details here and there.

What would make the process easier a bit (but not solve the issue being discussed here), is if ISI at the very least create some vMods of their own, with car/tracks combo's they think suit each other. They did have mods in the beginning that did that (but then it wasn't possible to download things individually). After that it was tried with one vMod (historic content), and while I was waiting for more of those, that one did dissapear and no others appeared :S That, to date, is the only vMod I have installed btw, deleted all others after having been online, because next time I'd like to join a server, the unofficial vmods have likely changed again anyway.....

17. MystaMagoo

MystaMagoo Registered

Thank You Guys for at least listening to us :)
    Hopefully it can be implemented.

18. flitzi

flitzi Registered

I don't think adding even more servers to the already very long list will help much, but who knows, maybe some more servers with stock content and ISI in the name will actually attract some people, I really hope so!

I for one like running different tracks. Running the same combo for more than an hour, maybe 2 hours for a completely unknown track is very boring for me. Plus, people that really have a lot of time will train the combo so hard to their muscle memory that they are ridiculously fast and make no errors at all, which results in very boring races, imho.

ATM there is one server that is always nicely populated, the ISR Megane server. Lets try to find out why this server is so popular! Apart for ISR having a large member base, which obviously helps, I think the 2 main reasons are
    1. the rather easy handling car and
    2. the short practice/qualify and race times, 15min qualify, 15min race in this case.

Last week ISR had a parallel Megane server running with only Essington track. This server was even more populated than other server running different tracks. I don't know if they were all practicing for an event or if a one track server is really more popular.
    But as I said, I don't like running the same combo for a longer time, that and the long wait time between races are the reasons why I'm not very active at iRacing atm.

In the end people are different and prefer different cars, tracks and server settings. There are by far not enough online sim racers for everybody to find enough players with the combination they prefer, so we have to make compromises. I for one had quite some fun on the ISR Megane server recently.

Only needing the currently running track would certainly help making it easier to join a server.

19. 88mphTim

Internal discussion still ongoing on the system itself, so won't comment there. But I do think if it stays like it is, some easy to join servers running stock content, 1 car 1 track in the vMod, will greatly improve first impressions from the frustrations of people trying to join and not having third party content which is referenced but not being currently used, yes.

20. 88mphTim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.