How sporty sim racing is

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gorgias1976, Jun 29, 2014.

1. gorgias1976

gorgias1976 Registered

I'm using a polar pulsometer and as you say it's probably configured for running/swimming sessions instead race simming, so the calories burnt could well be miscalculated.

I consider an average of 124bpm something not dangerous at all for the heart. Even being a little heavy I'm a usual runner and in my running session I get averages between 140-150bpm at a comfort level of exercising.

I find race simming to be quite physical. Legs are moving quite a lot; constant use of the clutch, heel and toeing.... (In that Silverstone race I did around 702 gear changes). Also using quite a hard steering in a 540ยบ steering car (is that what the BT20 uses?) causes arms to feel quite tired after racing.

P.S.: Also notice that after two years of 60s cars league racing and battling I feel my upper side muscles (shoulders, trapezious, etc..) to have grown in strength and size.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
  2. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Just for fun, I wore the HRM during a league race tonight. I can definitely see my heartrate rise when I was in positional battles then drop when I settle in to run clean/steady laps.

Waiting for the race to start: 74 bpm
    Max during race: 105 bpm
    Min during race: 81 bpm
    Avg during race: 91 bpm

3. speed1

speed1 Banned

In the first place it is sitting static (standard equipment) and that is not really a workout or muscle building by some FFB or adrinalin feed, rather the contrary, it weakens the muscles and it may even could lead to discogenic incidents.

A heart rate as some seem to have, greater than 120 or even higher I had at the highest performance with an inflammation the where migrate in my body, and my pulse is generally in the range of 60-80 at high activity without any health restrictions.

I have done various sports in my life but most of the time I spent with martial arts. Now who sees simracing as a workout and has such a high heart frequencies should think about his fitness. For trained people like me simracing has a negative impact and without compensation it could be considered as hurtful.

Even motion if in a real car or not is not sufficiently enough to call it a real workout. It requires a special workout to be buff, while by motion certain parts of the body are charged and possibly getting trained it is not comparable with high-performance sport.

If something like simracing is a workout for someone, he was previously too weak. :)

4. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

The cake is a lie.

I'm guessing that pulsometer tries to estimate calories based on heartrate, incorrectly assuming that increased heartrate comes from physical effort.

5. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Here's my cake from latest Simautosport World Endurance Challenge race @ Mid Ohio held yesterday (did the whole 4 hours alone because team mate was away). I use strong force feedback and after the race my hands and upper back were killing me! In general was pretty exhausted too. :) I have no doubt on those 1300 kcals but of course 4 hours is pretty long period too.

View attachment 13581

Here's hard ice hockey practice for comparison:

View attachment 13582

Nowadays my heart rate at rest is around 47-49 and max probably about 181 which is pretty standard for 39 year old. I'm not top athlete but not average either.

EDIT: Polar RC3 GPS

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2014
  6. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

You just destroyed his dream.

7. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Obviously someone wouldn't expect to replace real exercise with simracing but I still find the numbers interesting. I'm no health expert but doesn't the body burn more calories at higher heart rates regardless of the cause of the higher rate? Of course it wouldn't be comparable to real exercise, but it's better than watching TV I'm sure. I have been meaning to wear my monitor for a race but always forget. I run about 10 miles a week and my resting heart rate is in the upper 40s to lower 50s. But when I even a brisk walk it comes up to 110 or so. When I do a 7:00min/mile for 5K my peak is normally around 192bpm. When I am done with a run my rate drops to 130 within about 2mins and then even an hour later my resting rate will be 80bpm. It seems to stick around 80bpm for a long time before finally dropping back down to my typical low 50s range.

Since I took up running i've been really fascinated by the body's ability to adapt so quickly. Before I started running my resting rate was in the lower 70s upper 60s. But only a few weeks into running my resting rate was already in the mid 50s. If I take a few weeks off it will already go back to the low 60s.

8. Andregee

Andregee Registered

I drive only with the CSW, so weak gaming stuff and thats no problem for my arms, including manuel clutch and gears

right side

[​IMG]

:D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2014
  9. speed1

speed1 Banned

This species I have countless knocked out as a young fighter. The whole body is open and they are very slow, they usually had a lot of bone fractures within seconds.

10. Minibull

Minibull Member

This went very dark, very quick...

Jk XD

11. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

:eek: Im glad Im far far away...

12. speed1

speed1 Banned

@Minibull
    Yes exactly like to feel simracing as a workout and useless as those body workouts are.