How soon after...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug Spinster, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Doug Spinster

Doug Spinster Registered

... could there be mod available to download after the beta release in the soon future? I figure I am going to wait for more track options to appear before starting a rFactor 2 server. There is going to be way to many clone host series to even think about opening up a server. I haven't read much about all that will be available from independent mod creators, but I am tracking some mod makers for rF2 mods i figure had been exposed to rF2.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

We won't be stopping people releasing mods for the beta, so there may be more track options (especially the better rF1 tracks) available pretty quick. Although I hope they take advantage of the new rF2 stuff before releasing.

3. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Tim, you know that "good" usualy doensn't mean "quick"... so I would expect that first batch of converted cars and tracks from rF 1 will be far from beeing good.

4. 88mphTim

Hm, not really... If certain mod groups decided to get on with it from day 1 you could be surprised. :)

5. Marek Lesniak

Tim, what can be done faster? Simple convertion (to get basic functionality) or doing more refined product (to really take all what new platform will offer)?

I'm not going to be hurry with releasing my cars for rF 2. 3D models and mechanical parameters of a car won't be a problem.... what I'm worring about at most is new tyre model. There was no documentation released prior to beta release so we just don't know what to expect and can't prepare in that matter. So first what I (and probably most of modders too) will do, is to just sit and study documentation.

6. 88mphTim

Basics functionality. That may be what some do, do a basic conversion, then update later with a newer version. Remember it's a lot easier to update and get your mods to the masses now. :)

7. blaknift

blaknift Registered

I do have a small question, Dont mean to hijack your thread bud. But if I could have it in the simplest sense tim, Will modding for rf2 for a beginer be easier or harder than rf1?

8. Marek Lesniak

@Tim
    Yes, but doesn't matter how great and fast the update system is. Like I said, the very first non-ISI content what we will see in rF 2, will be basic conversions ("low" quality stuff), probably with a lot of bugs.
    Time will tell, how long will take to finally see some good quality content (as it require some time to spent on analysing new platform specification). So it will be better to wait for good quality content and at the begining, just use what ISI will provide.

9. 88mphTim

Why? It will take as much work to convert a low and high quality track. Both have the same differences from rF1 to rF2 to adapt.

10. Marek Lesniak

Maybe I expressed myself in a wrong way. By saying "low quality", I mean - without all the new features. Just basic stuff to have the track working.
    But, if preparing a track to "just" work in rF2 means that you none the less, have to implement all the new features (and by that make is somewhat "complete" in terms of functionality) then you are right. Time will be the same.

But that for sure won't apply to cars and their physical parameters, until someone already have complete set of technical parameters required by all rF 2 physics parameters, to just put them into physics files, especially related to tyre physics.

11. 88mphTim

Oh yeah, the cars will certainly take a little bit of time. ;)

12. mikeyk1985

mikeyk1985 Registered

I'm also guessing the modders would like as many of us as possible to download and test there work? I'm sure in that respect the large interest in the beta would be beneficial, just a thought.

13. RNelson

RNelson Registered

The purpose of the beta seems to be two-fold. The modders get to test the new system and ISI gets feedback on their product (primarily from the modders). This is as much about process - how to mod the game - as anything. Conversions of existing stuff will be valuable info as well as creating scratch built content.....

14. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald Registered

When tracks on rf2 are rubbered in and the line starts to appear is that line pre-set or will rubber appear anywhere cars drive over often?

This is related to tack conversion loosely I know... :D

15. patryksok.

patryksok. Registered

Tim, how much documentation you have for modder about car physics, tires, suspension etc? Will we know in what SI units some parameters are experssed?

16. 88mphTim

The car and track guys have each prepared documents. The tire one specifically allowed me to understand the process so it should certainly work for modders. :)

I'm sure we'll have to have those guys answer things in the forum still.

17. jubuttib

jubuttib Registered

From what I've read on the forums (and around the rFactor 2 web page), it's all dynamic and based on where the cars are driven, nothing predefined about it.

18. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald Registered

Very nice to hear :D Thank you

19. Michael Juliano

Michael Juliano Track Team

Yes, the groove is based on where and how cars drive. The groove is mapped to follow a typical line, but where it actually appears is dynamic. You could drive around the outer edge of the track only and that's where the groove would appear.

Luc has prepared a document that covers the technical aspects of track building, new features etc. I worked up a document covering the basics of prepping content for release (mas to component to mod).

We're putting the finishing touches on these (and they are first pass and will be updated as we implement new features or find better ways to do things, etc) and will be releasing them soon.

I believe Lo has worked up similar docs concern vehicles but I'm not sure of his status yet...

20. Fitzgerald

Fitzgerald Registered

That's amazing, thanks!