How realistic is Dirt Rallye in terms of physics and such?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Racefreak1976, Oct 13, 2015.

1. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Goes without saying I have a special respect for Rally drivers .............along with Irish road racers of course......lool ;)

To attack at highest level requires unnerving commitment, belief in car and ones ability.

Good PC rally driver makes a stage flow like a concerto.

;)

P.S. I love some of the comments at utube. lol

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2015
  2. magicaldog

magicaldog Registered

IMO Dirt Rally have everything rF2 lacks !

Awesome sound and graphics !

If they can only get the physics and FFB sorted I'll be in Sim heaven for sure although it's totally addictive already :)

Spent 121 hours with DR so far :)

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I agree the graphics are stunning. Sounds are very nice. Stages are challenging and mostly realistic.

However, it just doesn't feel like the car or FFB is interacting with the world environment, though. Seemingly canned effects, so like all console racers, you float over a surface with certain characteristics programmed in that trigger certain reactions in the car and FFB. I have yet to feel like my inputs or what I see the car doing or where I point the car having the proper response. I can drive up a foot-high berm at the side of the track and it's like nothing happens. Drive along a gravel road and a randomized vibration effect "plays" through the car steering wheel. Go over a jump and there is no rebound response...just a programmed jump and bump. Etc.

I really want to love this game, because quite honestly it's great in every way except the one that counts the most--physics and FFB. Without that, to me anyway, it's just a video game of twitching and sliding. In cool cars with awesome scenery and tricky challenging tracks, but still a video game-style hand-eye co-ordination test instead of feeling like you are controlling an actual vehicle with weight and vehicle dynamics. It's the 2015 version of Night Driver...making your car swing left and right through the oncoming course, but it could be a boat, really, if you didn't have the FFB effects and the ultra-realistic graphics to tell you it was a rally car.

4. magicaldog

magicaldog Registered

I don't think we are talking about the same game/sim here !

Have you actually tried Dirt Rally or are you referring to videos ?

I have to strongly disagree with what I have highlighted in your post.

1. Nothing happens when you drive up a foot-high berm at the side of the track ???? | I can clearly feel when the car hits something that is a foot high and it would make the car react in a believable way !

2. Randomized vibration effect ???? | That makes absolutely no sense why Codies should implement that ! | Perhaps your wheel is faulty ;)

3. No rebound response ???? | Where not talking about rubber balls here ;) | A Rally car doesn't rebound after a jump | The purpose of the suspension is to prevent rebound ! (There are plenty of Youtube Rally Jumps vids showing that )

What Wheel are you using ?

What stages are you driving ?

IMO the tarmac stages are lacking in road feel but the gravel stages are pretty good when it comes to feedback from the road.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2015
  5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

How is that possible if it's real feedback? The grip from tarmac is so much greater than a loose surface.

I did poke around the Internet and found a couple of suggestions--one of which helped immensely. That was if you are using a well-damped wheel like I am (Fanatec CSW), turn off the Steering Friction in the new(ish) Advanced Controller options. Setting it to 0 reveals all sorts of feedback that was being "double damped" when it was set to default 100%. The cars are much easier to control and more intuitive.

However, it's still a long way from realistic. But at least with unmasked FFB, you can have some fun without feeling like you have to re-learn some artificial response system.

But the dead feeling from the tarmac seems to confirm the canned road surface that the cars float across. I never feel like the car has dropped into a big pothole or dip in the road they way RBR or rF1 or rF2 feels. I don't feel the car react to being upset from imbalance (which is the whole essence of rally). Maybe this will come as they are revamping the cars. I still suspect it's a fundamental design choice/flaw in the way they have created the game. 99% won't care, because they are looking for console-style fun, which this provides. Compared to the rally titles with the ridiculously wide and unrealistic stages, DR is incredibly exciting.

6. magicaldog

magicaldog Registered

Grip is grip and road feel is road feel ;)

I can feel the road on the gravel stages but the tarmac equivalent is pretty much dead.

By turning on Steering friction you have just removed the constant (damping) force applied to the Wheel.

Strange -Weight distribution is just about the ONLY thing I feel (Braking & Turning) on tarmac !

I feel the same and unfortunately it's not going to change and thereby not make Dirt Rally a worthy successor to RBR.