SOLVED How often your RF2 crash?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Comante, Dec 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Comante

Comante Registered

Just as title say.
    I had RF2 since 2012, until DX11 came out I was almost unable to use it for more than casual driving as like a russian roulette any ESC pressure could make it CTD. You know, it's quite hard to partecipate in a race weekend without pressing that button*.. After the beta DX11 I finally began to be able to enjoy RF2 more deeply, but that ESC Bug still bug me , less than before, but more than a man can tollerate.
    I'm starting to consider that my problem is hardware related, but I have no idea.
    So, to start, I have to understand if everyone experience this bug and how often. I suffer from it almost once each time i decide to spend time on RF2. And you?
    *) must be told that playing online seems to be less CTD prone.

2. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

its hardware related i believe
    2 different computer setups the last 4 years and it only crashed 2 times with my new computer
    its very rare to crash but it happens and it is hardware related.

3. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I've had lots of problems in past, i changed PC components and GPU 3 times! Result? rF2 bugs! Lately, despite some annoying slowdowns/freezes from time to time all is working well...

I'm saying this because i had ZERO problems with other software, but those rF2 problems gave me some bad nights...

4. Comante

Comante Registered

I fear it's the ram, but they are common kingston, supported by my MB, no overclock.. it's the only program that give me aches, DCS world run very stable, and considering how resource intensive it is , I would think it as more fragile than RF2, that doesn't use any resourse completely (except maybe gpu, even if I use V-sync).

5. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

kingston ? i had 2 kingston memory modules inside my previous computer DDR2 @800
    one small module (supposed to be the new ddr2 800 size after 2010) and one big module which i bought with the computer parts at 2008
    the were dual chanel
    never had one crash with that computer.
    the new computer has 2 corsair memory modules same generation DDR4 @ 2666.
    with the new memories inside my new computer( Ryzen 5 1600) i had some crashes but not so many to really worry about.

6. Comante

Comante Registered

7. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Pretty much never... I can't remember when was the last time.
    Windowed mode does wonders on that front.

lbird and Pauli Partanen like this.
  8. Comante

Comante Registered

I'll give it a shot

9. bwana

bwana Registered

Once in the last few years for me. , l had just downloded a new crew chief version , rebooted and hasn’t reoccurred . I have never adjusted any files (JSON , ini .etc) at all. Have always let the game do it’s own thing

10. Emery

Emery Registered

Not very often unless I've been tinkering too much, like trying to mod something.

11. Comante

Comante Registered

I don't know if I'm more happy or angry with myself. The simple and straightforward suggestion Bjorn made, worked wonders.
    I played RF2 2 hours straight, I did all the things I've never been able to do with reliability : restart races, pressing ESC, change track, cars, everything. I just need to reactivate REplays. It was so easy, I even tried windowed mode sometimes ago, but probably forgot if it made any different on this issue. Just to be safe I updated my MB bios, but I don't think that changed anything.

12. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Glad it has had an effect for you.
    You may wish to change the thread name to say this is [SOLVED] so anyone with the same problem who is looking can see the outcome.

13. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I am a rfactor2 user from the beginning (Jan 2012). I can't remember when rf2 last crashed, I even can't remember if it crashed. From first release Jan 2012 I always simply updated to new version. I only did a fresh install once when rF2 made the move to steam. rF2 always had been very stable on my system the last ~6 years.

EDIT: and in that timeframe I had various system configurations: AMD Phenom II 965, Intel Core i7-3820, NVIDIA 570, 670, 780Ti, Monitor, 3D Vision, Oculus Rift ...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    bwana and Pauli Partanen like this.
  14. Comante

Comante Registered

Little update: switching to WINDOWED mode GREATLY improved stability, BUT from time to time I still experience CTDs. I too have changed several configurations since 2012, but the sim seems to behave always the same. But now I can expect to make a race weekend of even two without a single crash, so, while not uber happy, I'm quite happy.

15. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I would wager that 99.9% of the time when people have problems with a game not working properly it is not the game at fault.
    Many thousands of people with thousands of different computer specs, hardware and software, have no issues running the game.

Saying that though, I do sympathise with you Comante.
    A while back I built a PC that just did not like playing games, not just rF but any game I tried. It would always freeze, then crash with a graphics driver error.
    I did all the usual motherboard bios and driver updates.
    Tried countless nvidia drivers.
    I even went bare essentials with peripherals and only used mouse and keyboard.
    Tried a AMD graphics card.
    Fresh Windows installs with only rF installed.
    I gave up and that computer became my non gaming pc which did a stellar job for about 8 years.
    I built a new PC and that became my trusty sim pc for a fair few years.

I know that none of what I just wrote is of any help in solving your problem but it is refreshing to see someone not instantly laying blame on the game when they have a problem.

Good luck.

16. Comante

Comante Registered

In my build only the HDDs are still the same since 2012, I changed everything else, I'm not a PC guru anymore, but I can't really see how the problem could be HDD related... Am I just unlucky? :-(

17. ceecee

ceecee Registered

My hardware is not new, unchanged, updated and running fine.
    However the amount of rF2 crashes has increased quite a lot recently.
    The most recent client PC playing on my dedi server is one I designed and built with a very healthy budget a year ago.
    In rF2 this PC is now experiencing multiple crashes as well ( it is also used as a Film editing workstation amongst other tasks, without any problems since delivered)
    (I have been designing and building PC's professionally since 1994).

18. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Not true, i had problems with rF2 in 3 (!!!) different PC's, all up to date, all other games worked flawlessly, so sometimes YES, it is software problem!

19. Comante

Comante Registered

Well, we enter the realm of philosophy.. or just statistics, but the data seems to agree that most users run RF2 just fine, and others are plagued. Where exactly the problem lies is apparently unknown. I will try removing a lot of old content (cars and tracks of third parties).

20. ceecee

ceecee Registered

Running a clean installation (verified, no plug-ins) with only the GT3 pack and Zandvoort 0.20 crashed as well (tried 2 more official tracks too) so I do not think removing old content will change the situation.
    It would be handy if a crash log was produced (something that rf1 had !) or even an expanded mention in the Windows logs but this does not happen.
    The crash is random so impossible to analyse.
    This problem only appeared in the last couple of months here and is worse this month.
    Maybe when the expected end of year update arrives this will get better.
    In single player the game seems to be stable, these crashes are in multiplayer.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017