How is ROWE Racing pronounced?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by davehenrie, Oct 25, 2020.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

USA English drops the E at the end, so to me I read ROW. However, listening to the streamed 24hrs of Spa, it sounded like they were saying Row-ver or Row-vuh.

2. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

It's a German brand, so my understanding is that it's correct to pronounce the trailing 'e'. Think "Nordschleife". ;)

davehenrie likes this.
  3. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Guest

Yes, "e" is pronounced. "Row" is not spoken like "row a boat". Listen here at 0:08, 0:15

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

And this is language (or languages). You'd expect a US-based broadcast to call it the way you see it ("Row"), while someone familiar with the name in its original location will say it more correctly ("ROW-vuh"), because of the e but also because their w is closer to your v.

What anyone actually says will be somewhere along that line, and people tend to find a way to say it and then stick with it. Anyone enduring years of Coulthard pronouncing Vettel's name wrong ("Ve-TELL") is well aware of that, but there are many examples.

Some years ago there was a cricket player here whose name was causing some confusion (Kasprowicz). At one point, having already explained how to pronounce it, that player had to respond to a commentator saying how it should be pronounced (which was different) - as the player said, it's his name, he's pretty sure he knows how he says it. But again, the same name in a different place (or even just in a different part of the same family) may take on another pronunciation.

I think in some markets you'd avoid the proper pronunciation of Rowe because it sounds a lot like Rover, already well established brands (car or mower). People's names might be a bit different, but you have mainstream examples like Michael Schumacher where the german Michael is quite different to the anglo Michael.

Then you have actually speaking to people personally, in which case I think you should do your best to say their name the way they say it. Seems disrespectful to do otherwise.

davehenrie likes this.
  5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

It sounds like this to me :D I guess if it is the same word

davehenrie likes this.
  6. Emery

Emery Registered

And just to confuse things, don't forget that row is two different words, each pronounced differently in English. Row, the act of using an oar vs. row, a fight. :p

7. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

How does a US-based broadcast say Audi? ;)

Emery: yeah but this is Rowe which AFAIK is never pronounced r-ow, always r-oh (though in a country where Featherstonehaugh is pronounced Fanshaw you can never be certain!)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    JimmyT likes this.
  8. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

ow dee (as in ow that hurts)
    but some parts of the country say Ah dee. (as in Ah shucks)
    In both cases, the 2nd part is one syllable, as if saying the letter D.
    I've heard a 3rd variety on a newscast, but I can't remember how it was pronounced.

9. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

:p:p:D LMAO