How do you properly adjust seat position

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by caravan_driver, Feb 7, 2018.

1. caravan_driver

caravan_driver Registered

There are tutorials and calculators for proper FOV.
    But what is the right seat position?
    And how can you reset it?

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

There is no right or wrong position.
    There might be more or less realistic adjustment range. The driver position must suit the height of a driver to properly reach wheel and pedals. I understand that competition cars are only adjustable back and forward. Height adjustment is not probably available since you want to have your body weight as low as possible. If a car is properly done 0 seat position should represent an average driver height which I guess should be around 175 - 180 cm.

There is, however, a right FOV which depends on your screen size and on its distance to your eyes. Unless you use triple screen, this theoretical FOV is typically not used because you lose quite a lot peripherical vision.

Increasing a little bit FOV and adjusting seat position is my recommendation to get a good compromise between 1:1 view and peripherical vision.

Louis, bwana and caravan_driver like this.
  3. Louis

Louis Registered

Dont forget seat pitch (shift + fov down/fov up)
    To me is very important to immersion too

caravan_driver and David Kolody like this.
  4. caravan_driver

I have no idea what would be a good angle there either.
    Maybe facing down a little bit?

5. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Depends on what I'm driving. F1 cars I'll set it so I'm peeking over the top of the nose (immersion I guess), while in a LMP/GT/Touring car I have it set so I see as much ahead as possible

Louis likes this.
  6. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I always set my seat so I can just see a bit of the headrests to either side,and as low or high as needed to align the top of my wheel with the i game wheel

If this is wrong pls clarify

Louis likes this.
  7. stonec

stonec Registered

Basically there is no right answer. Also bear in mind that probably 99% of sim racers don't use a realistic seat position with all cars. For example if you really wanted to drive an F1 car from driver's helmet view, this is pretty close to how it would look like. Most of the monitor would be covered by cockpit and sky with only a small part of the road visible. The only way to drive with such a view would be in VR, but even there I think the majority would find it impractical.

Louis likes this.
  8. Louis

Louis Registered

Like others said, it depends in what mod you are using. Sometimes because of type of the vehicle (openwheel, gt cars...) and sometimes because i think third party mods don´t obey to standards settings (I dont think ISI or s397 tell that to modders)
    I always have to compromise something because my seat is fixed. If i want a true feeling of modern f1 seat, my eyes would be few centimeters above my wheel. Gt cars, i think, the wheel should be align to my chin.

So I cut the top of my old g27 and the top is in line with my mouth. If im´driving modern f1, i slide a little in the seat and put pedal away a little too. If im driving other type of car, i seat straight. But my pedals i cant change so they are almost aligned with my butt (i know if i want true modern f1 feeling my feet should be higher than it is now.
    But, since i use 3 screens and multiview tool which calculates the fov base on size of your screens and distance from my eyes, rarely i need to change something only adjusting seat foward, back, up, down and seat pitch

I tried a 49" tv these days and i had to put seat pitch above 5, i think, to proper vision
    ps: sry my english. Half myself, half google translate (the good half :D)

caravan_driver likes this.
  9. Louis

Louis Registered

Only problem is he was using a fish eye lens which gives more lateral field of view.

10. caravan_driver

Wow. I thought this was what it looks like but now that I looked at it they might have done something wrong. The camera is a little bit above his eyes.

Louis likes this.
  11. Louis

Louis Registered

this one you posted is way better than Lucas de Grassi eye view cam

you can see at 0:44 how the roof is warped
    i would say he is using fov at 50 lol

12. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Guys like Jimmy Broadbent in GTs have the 'gopro' view of having the camera on the dashboard for maximum viewing.

13. caravan_driver

Its hard to get some kind of depth in 2D without raising the seat position.

atomed and Louis like this.
  14. green serpent

green serpent Registered

I think this has been mentioned before, but it's also (somewhat) important to have the steering wheel at the correct height relative to the monitor. Atm my monitor is a bit too high up relative to my seating position and wheel, so no matter what I do, I can't get the steering wheel in the perfect position and still have the perspective of the cockpit correct. I always find I'm looking down at the instrument panel from an unrealistic angle (too high up in the virtual cockpit), so I have to lower the virtual seating position and then change the pitch upward.

I could be wrong with this next point, but I think ideally you would want your eyes (and so roughly speaking your wheel also) level with the virtual horizon. This would mean lowering your monitor quite a bit, which can be problematic if your monitor is close to your eyes, cos you kinda need to leave some room for your legs to go under your monitor. As some people have suggested, you can get a hacksaw and cut a small hole at the base of your monitor to fit your legs through. Just make sure you turn it off first so you don't get electrocuted.

caravan_driver and Louis like this.
  15. caravan_driver

I remember seeing Rubens Barrichello with his G27 cut at the top of the rim like Louis did but I cant find the pics.
    Crazy guys.

16. Louis

Louis Registered

I remember that video and i cutted mine sometime after seing his steering wheel. He is playing rfactor.
    But it is ar from craziness. I´m a broke ass man and he is a cheap bastard.
    In march is my g27 birthday. 7 years old. Also rfactor fan. It came with a dvd copy of rfactor. I bought the wheel to play gran turismo

atomed likes this.
  17. Louis

Louis Registered

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    edit: but cannot find the video anymore of him playing rfactor

18. caravan_driver

Emptybox made a video talking about FOV and he touchs on seat position.
    He says the two are unrelated and that you should adjust the seat/camera position as you like.

Louis likes this.
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@caravan_driver Well, he says the two are unrelated (which absolutely is true), and that's about all he says. I'm not sure it matters all that much what one person says anyway.

You had the answer in the first line of the first reply in this thread. There isn't right or wrong when it comes to seat position. There'll be a position that feels most comfortable for you, but if you were forced to change it you'd soon adapt to that as well. All that matters is that you're used to it, so you know where your car is, when to turn, and where other cars are around you.