How do I open an rfm file to change pace car?

Discussion in 'Component and Mod Packaging' started by Bryan Birtwell, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Howdy,

I've been enjoying DJCruicky's vMOD for adding mirrors to my beloved F3s.

However, I do not like running my server with a vMOD that requires one to have all the tracks installed.

I would like to be able to go back to my, one track per vMOD setup. Where all one needs is the track named, in my vMOD's name.

Is there anyone that would be willing to share their trade secrets? Yes, I've asked DJCruicky.

I can't figure out how to "see" what's in an rfm file, and or how I would change the pace car from Clio to a BT-20, and then package it into my vMODs.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan

2. MJP

MJP Registered

It's pretty easy just start to create your package, choose your tracks and cars, then when you get to the 'Create Mod Package' window you need to open your 'new mod' MAS file which is located where it says 'Select RFM:' at top of the 'Create Mod Package' window (default location seems to be C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\~MASTEMP). Extract the RFM file, do your edits then put it back in the MAS file, then you can carry on packaging in the 'Create Mod Package' window.

3. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Hi Bryan , Im a total newb to the modding side and had probs getting any help but managed to get through it lol .. I was able to open ,edit (allow gear ratio changes), rename, save the new megane mod by following this thread>

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/5323-Problem-create-MOD?p=63647&viewfull=1#post63647

As well as watching the package tut top of this modding page !

If you plan on opening,editing the files >

Make sure you build a seprate folder away from your rf2 install to work from then add the nessary stuff to your work folder ,MAS2exe mod manager.exe and the proper folders to store the files in while you edit (seen in vid tut) I recomend copying your "installed/vehicles" folder to your work folder or at least the mod you want to take apart from there so it dosent effect your rf2 install or the files in use ( I learned the hard way by mistake and had to reinstall lol)..

To find the files you need you first
    - Open the mas2.exe
    - Select the Open Mas File icon
    - locate your newly moved,copyed documents/rf2/installed/vehicles folder
    - find in the vehicles folder the mod you wish to edit/mod , ther are 3 main files you need to build the rfmod for example im using the Brabham you would copy the BT20_TEAMS.mas, BT20_MAIN.mas and the BT20.mas files to a new folder , the .mas that containes the pace car I belive is the BT20_TEAMS.mas , open it in MAS2 ,extract via the MAS2 (right click after selecting all) to a new folder now you should see it in txt format that you can edit ,Now find the pace car you wish to use to replace it (probly in a defrent vehicle folder that you will have to extract in same way to get to the files) replace or swap, copy paste, the pace car files, once done you then have to build a new mas file using the "+add files to mas arcive" , then you need to build the new components (renamed to what ever you want to call it) from the mas file you just built and the others that were within the mod folder, these can simply be renamed w/o extracting if no editing was needed ... you can get a handel on it in a way by following the advice in the thread, amagin the window files he talks about as the pace car files and it should make sence lol It's daunting at first but after you get your hands dirty it starts to fall in place lol ..

OR -

However in your case you can simply build a new vmod using DJC's rfmod , (if he dosent mind) follow this >

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1573-Modding-Downloads?p=24546&viewfull=1#post24546

you will see DJC's rfmod in the list to use in a vmod

As the work has already been done you can give DJC credit in the "notes".For your new vmod you simply need to name it , select the tracks you want,the mod (what ever DJC nemed it), talent, sounds done ! (much easyer lol)you only need to tic the box next to the mod part of the builder as ppl will have tracks,talent,sounds, already this keeps the vmod small .. vmods are like filters ...
    when watching the vmod vid (a must if you haven built a vmod) remember the componant "P" button has been replaced with the "open box icon"

hope this helps, it's vague I know but it should get you started ?
    Good luck !!

4. Bryan Birtwell

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Bryan

5. Tosch

Tosch Registered

In case you have trouble try this

1. Install DJCruicky's vMOD
    2. Go to rF2Datafolder\Installed\rFm
    3. Open 1960S CARS INC MIRROR FIX_103.mas with MAS2.exe (rF2Datafolder\Support\Tools)
    4. Mark all files (one rFm and two icons), rightclick and select extract
    5. Extract the files to a temp folder
    6. Go to the temp folder and open the file "1960S CARS INC MIRROR FIX_113.RFM" with notepad
    7. Remove all entrys under "TrackList" you don't need and save the file with a different filename
    8. Open MAS2.exe and select "Create New Mod Package" (the box symbol)
    9. Enter a Mod name and select customize
    10. Pick your rFm File (the one from the temp folder,Icons too if you want) and click next
    11. Select the Track and click next
    12. Select BrabhamBT20 and HistoricOpenWheels (hold CTRL for multiple selection) and click next
    13. No need to include Sound and Talent. Click Done
    14. Click Package. Ignore the rFm errors by clicking Done
    15. Click Register Now to receive a Mod ID for online play
    16. Click Done
    17. Exit MAS2.exe and install your Mod

The mod removes the Spark F1 #6 car (Spiderman, no entry in the VehicleList) and defines the brabhamBT20.veh as SaftyCar (Mirror bug).

@DJCruicky
    Very clever, well done.

1 person likes this.
  6. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Some good info there.

At Bryan, I did see your post on my thread, but sleep and work got in the way. :D

I did it the simple way....
    View attachment 4793
    View attachment 4794
    View attachment 4795

That's it!! Just a case of picking tracks and cars, don't forget the BrabhamBt20 cars or it will not work.
    No need to pick anything on the 'Select other Components' page.
    There you go.

A tip from the Cruicky (see 1st pic), use your own custom DDS loading icons. In doing so you can turn a 1.2 meg vMod into a 300KB mod just by using your own smaller pictures. The default ISI ones are huge!!

DJC

2 people like this.
  7. Bryan Birtwell

Well now that you put it that way... All I have to say is, thank you so MUCH! and, I wish I knew about this... um... a long time ago.

I've made a couple... They're on my server now... They work... It's easy...

I just can't thank you enough!

You too, Tosch. I can't thank you enough, either. I will also look into changing things your way!

This helped!!!

Bryan

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

HOLY THREAD RESURRECTION BATMAN!!!

Here is an extract of an rfm I am trying to make a mod from. Even after choosing the track I want to use and the ASR and Mercedes Safety car vehicles I get the "No track filter found in rfm" error.

What am I doing wrong?

9. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

There is missing values behing TrackList and VehicleList
    Open the one in default ModDev rfm folder and compare. (I'm not at home, no way to give you the right syntax)

10. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Seemed to work.... thanks :)

11. nurogize

nurogize Registered

When I do this, it creates a 600 MB *.rFMod file. Also assuming the car's selected has an encrypted .mas file, this .encrypted mas file must be deleted, to be prevent the game from refusing to boot. Game will usually auto re-download & install when starting it.

I'm trying to get into the rFM file and be able to set* race attributes and pit group order.

Also
    Code:
    TrackList
    {
    }

And
    Code:
    VehicleList
    {
    }

Must be deleted from the .rFM file

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@nurogize First, bonus points for resurrecting a thread which already had a post from 4 years ago mentioning thread resurrection.

Second, assuming part of that is a question, the .rfmod will be a big file if you don't untick the content on the left.

The boxes on the left side indicate the content you want the .rfmod to use, and the right boxes show which components of that content you want. But ticking them on the left means you want to include them in the .rfmod (hence big file), while ticking the components on the right just means you want them used in your package. So for the purposes of creating a small virtual mod file, you select your content and related components, leave everything ticked on the right that you want included, then untick the boxes on the left. You'll see the size indicator in the top-right get much smaller when you do this.

nurogize likes this.
  13. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Lazza likes this.