How do I create grass verge from existing track?

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Mikec87, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Mikec87

Mikec87 Registered

Hi everyone,

I am trying to create a grass blend/verge around the edge of my track.

Doing the lines/stripes was easy after being shown how, but now I am a little stumped as to how to create the section for the grass/edge blending. I have tried to create a new shape from the edge but that failed.

From all the ISI tracks I have seen, there are 4 basic areas. 1 is the terrain. 2 is the track. 3 is the stripes/lines and 4 the grass/edge blending poly.

I would really like some help with how to make it. I am using 3Ds Max so I am hoping it is a simple procedure.

Thanks in advance. Mike

View attachment 20579

2. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

You should be able to use the same process to make both.

I use the same procedure to make the lines to also make the grass edge merges only they are 1m wide.

3. Mikec87

Mikec87 Registered

Thanks for the reply. What i do not know is how to extend over the edge of the track so the new polys cover both the edge of the track and the edge of the terrain?

See they overlap?

View attachment 20580

4. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I use Mario's TrackMaker script decals section and that lets you set an offset from the spline to position it.

5. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

You can loft a "stripe" from track edge.

Quck-and-very dirty workflow...

(work on top viewport when lofting)

- make about 20 cm wide spline, pivot point centered. This will be a shape (width) of your lofted stripe
    - select piece of edge of the track and create spline of it. Use "create new shape from edge" function.
    - select track edge spline, which you just created, go "Compound Objects", select "Loft".
    - Click "Get Shape" button and then click 20 cm spline which you created on first stage. Now max creates 20cm wide "stripe", which can be used for edge transition. Adjust width and lenght steps for desired end result.
    - Convert to Editable Poly and raise it about 0,5 - 1 cm from track surface
    - Apply material on it and map it. Standard ISI tracks have excellent textures for this purpose.
    - Export it: Collide and HAT unticked, Decal ticked, Omni ticked and gMotor Normals ticked.
    - Generate new SCN (or edit manually existing one) and check end result in the viewer

Do not try to loft entire track edge at once.

6. Mikec87

Mikec87 Registered

Thank you so much for the tips......I will post results in my WIP thread soon :)

7. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

I suppose you want a jagged edges on road? right?
    Is not a good idea put grass/ground and asphalt on same texture. So you create a jagged edge for road and the Alpha channel with a hard edges in grass side and smooth blend in road side.

Photoshop Work: make a texture (1024x64 or 2048x64)

View attachment 20583
    Road edge Alpha channel (Transparency mask)

View attachment 20586
    Difuse

3ds MAX work:

Create a Spline from track edge and set spline "Interpolation" steps = 0 (zero).
    To create the mesh strip for decal.. can use sweep modifier, but need to create the section shape.
    Create a a line length of 0.4meters and set "Interpolation" steps = 0 (zero). (Use a spline Rectangle and convert to spline)
    Select spline segment and divide by 1.
    View attachment 20588
    Shape section (0.4m)

Add Sweep a modifier to edge spline and pick the section shape in "Use custom Section"

View attachment 20589
    Sweep settings.
    Y offset : 0.01m for decals.

Add a UVW Xform modifier and do the this settings.
    View attachment 20590

For better visual adjust (V offset) i create a Transparent Standard material to see it better in MAX.

I hope helps

8. Radar

Radar Registered

Just looking at the pic Mike, the track section, is that only 6 sections wide? The higher quality tracks are 9 wide to give a better realroad. Just thought I'd ask.

9. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

I do what Mario described, but one thing. Make sure to select generate mapping coordinates, that'll save you a lot of time.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

10. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

In the sweep settings image generate mapping is select.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk