How are digital guages drawn?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Coutie, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

This issue has always been bugging me, how are the guages drawn? It seems that different ones are drawn differently? For instance, look at this picture:
    [​IMG]

I added the white lines to show the edge of where it should draw. The speed output looks like the text is aligned on the right, where everything else is opposite. All the faces are the exact same(minus the gear face), and the scale in the cockpitinfo.ini is the same, yet the results are almost the exact opposite. So my question is, is there a way to change how the displays are drawn?

Example from my cockpitinfo.ini
    SpeedFont=car_Font.tga
    SpeedBackground=car_SpeedBG
    SpeedScale=(0.3, 0.5)

OilTempDigitFont=car_Font.tga
    OilTempDigitBackground=car_OillBG
    OilTempDigitScale=(0.3, 0.5)

2. redapg

redapg Registered

Do the objects of speed, oil..... all have the same mapping (to the whole bg-texture)?

Maybe playing around with the scaling of the font, even when the objects/textures/fonts are all equal, helps you.

3. Coutie

Yes, they had the same mapping. Last night I played around with the UV coordinates, and I was able to move the water temp to the middle of it's background texture. The only issue is that only one digit would show, so it said 4 instead of 45, even though there was a lot of room for the 5.

4. redapg

redapg Registered

The object has to be UV-mapped in that way, that it covers the whole texture.
    And what size do your background-textures have?

5. Coutie

Just 64x64. I've been messing around with the coordinates and it's looking better. Should they be bigger?

6. redapg

redapg Registered

I have taken 32x32 for my "private use"-car for water- and oil-temp and in the cockpitinfo the values: (0.45,1.5) for the scaling.

But 64x64 should be OK too (the bigger, the better it looks ;)).