Hot (optimal) tire pressures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by romano2603, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Slamfunk3

Slamfunk3 Registered

There is definitely a difference in car behavior as well as lap time between a hot and a cold track. Just let the ai run laps in different temperatures. Correct me if I'm wrong, but i don't think track temp has an affect on tire temp irl, not in a linear way. The track itself just has more grip which changes how your car is handling. Which actually could make your tires run even cooler, since you're not needing to drive it as hard.
    TK

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

That´s propably because they run different engine- (oil) temps then, what can have a massive impact on power-output of given car/engine.

3. Andregee

Andregee Registered

The Ai does not use the player physics but a more simple tyre Modell so it's impossible to compare in that wrong way. Do what I said, use Motec I2 Pro and you will find the truth. The track temperature does not affects on tyre temperature and

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

4. TJones

TJones Registered

I did a small test with a Formula-ISI, to learn how big the drop of temperature on the tyresurface of a pre-heatet tyre, right after leaving the box may be. This with two very different ait/track temperatures, 0° Celsius and 50° Celsius.

Both look very similar, so it looks very much that any setting of temperature in the UI doesn't have an effect on track temperature in the simulation model ATM. Air temperature and the effect on tyres, brakes and engine may be a different story.

What is also very easy to see, the cooldown of the tread on those places which are in contact with the track. (Outer section of the fronts stay hotter because of camber)

5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Nope, they dont

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

What? When ambient temps are different, AI have different temps on theire engines too! Sure, because they have always the same setup
    (as long as you don´t assign another one for every outside temp)!

7. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

They dont have different engine- (oil) temps, they`re using the same engine.ini as the human player does...

8. stonec

stonec Registered

Correct. Ambient temperature affects engine temps etc. correctly. Track temperature does nothing for player car tire model. If somebody said there was a difference, it's placebo effect. rF1 had track temp affecting tires as well.

9. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Facepalm

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Instead of just facepalming, why don't you explain that you're talking about the same thing in different ways? Though to be honest I'm not sure how much effect engine oil temperature has on performance, at least before it starts actually overheating (smoke).

Tyre temps, do a 10 minute sitting-still-in-the-pits test on 0°C and 60°C - tyre temps are exactly the same, brakes sit on ambient, engine gets hotter in the 2nd test. Therefore both ambient and 'track' temp have no effect on tyre temps. If there was a difference you could use a weather script (or plugin) to set the track temp and then vary the ambient to gauge their respective effects, but no point doing that right now.

*One caveat: the test I just did, in a mod with a decent amount of front camber, the outside of the front tyres stayed warmer. So I guess it should be said that changing the temperature doesn't change the heat loss, but obviously there is heat loss going on and at different rates to the air and the track (as you'd expect, given there are TGM parameters affecting the heat transfer to them).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2016