SOLVED "Host is unknown" when trying to join my second server

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Ravioli, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Ravioli

Ravioli Registered

Hi you helpful people,

I am in need of help with my two servers (running on the same machine). Let me sketch my server situation in the first place. I have two separate instances, so two folders with each their own installation (Note: I have also tried having only one instance and duplicating the "player" folder with different names, but the result is the same).

I have server 1 running on the following ports:
    TCP+UDP 54297 (Simulation port)
    TCP 64297 (HTTP port)
    UDP 64298 (Steam port)
    UDP 64299 (Steam port)

I have server 2 running on the following ports:
    TCP+UDP 54298 (Simulation port)
    TCP 64300 (HTTP port)
    UDP 64301 (Steam port)
    UDP 64302 (Steam port)

The servers run perfectly next to each other, and my friends and I have no problems in joining server 1. Server 2 is also showing in the Multiplayer list, so to me that proves port-forwarding wise everything works correctly. However, when my friends or myself try to join server 2, we get the error "Host is unknown" in red text after entering the password to join the server.

I have no idea what could be causing this error, do you guys maybe know what I could change in my configuration? Thank you very much in advance (Below a screenshot of the error. The text is in Dutch, where "Host is unknown" is the direct translation).
    upload_2020-7-7_20-7-49.png

2. Ravioli

Ravioli Registered

I was able to solve it myself. Apparently rFactor 2 doesn't really like special characters in server passwords. I used a #. Made a new password with only letters and digits, it works now.

3. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Yes a trap for young players that. Glad you worked it out.