[REL] Hockenheim-Ring (Multi Layout) v1.1 update 03.05.2015

Discussion in 'Locations' started by Tommy78, Jun 26, 2012.

1. PorscheMR6

PorscheMR6 Registered

NICE! whixh car can we see there? the maserati i guess

2. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Yes it is the Maserati.

3. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

Aren't some curbs placed in opposite way? I though curbs were always placed like this:

[​IMG]

notice the sharp edges are facing 'away' from the cars.. (HUGE language barrier here...)

4. Tommy78

Tommy78 Registered

Yes, i know...now, when i testing and took these shots, i saw the wrong curbs in some places, today i fix it, but thanks.

5. Alesi

Alesi Registered

hm..its look strange, maybe its because the fences and trees and other stuff not on their places... u sure track identical (lengths, width, curbs, curves etc.) to original? in google map will your track match to original? ?

6. Tommy78

Tommy78 Registered

I use the google earth, i did six track in rF1, so this is not my first track, i used every time, because i think without it's not possible to make a real size track. So, if the google shows the right sizes, places, Latitude, Longitude, Altitude etc. yes, i'm sure.
    Just one thing, the real lenght is 4.574 km / lap, and here is just a copy from the AIW file:
    lap_length=4581.704102
    sector_1_length=1042.989624
    sector_2_length=3236.102539

so, yes, it's not 100% same length, but not too much the different isn't it?:)

7. Alesi

Alesi Registered

why its on 7 m longer? 7m its to many... 1 m will be good... but 7m..... this mean something wrong -mostly its in curves, sometimes in straights (on some degrees from real track)

8. Kev

Kev Registered

Too many? No, its about 0.15% only - you will not spot it definitely. And it easily could be difference in centerlines, not layout.

Keep up the good work, Tommy78. Looking forward to it.

9. Tommy78

Tommy78 Registered

Thanks Kev!

@Alesi
    And yes, i can find 7 metres when i creat the AIW, and turning a bit wider on the corners, it's not very easy to run in the centerline exactly.

10. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

Awesome project. Im looking for a modern race track (from DTM, F1 etc.) for a longer time now and Hockenheim willl definitely win my heart :D I will for sure test the first versions and help to make it better because Hockenheim will be an interesting thing for online racing with the Formula ISI :) Thank you Tommy78 for your work.

11. Alesi

Alesi Registered

when i building with google maps my track were 1-2 m longer.. and i was unsatisfied with that and try to find those meters

12. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member

Alesi, when are you planning to release your tracks? ;)

13. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Where did you find those meters and how? Google maps are not perfect at all. They are rubbish most of the time in terms of accuracy. They're just orthoimages (aerial photography with geo references) taken above a low flying aircraft. Those materials needs to be processed to obtain geo links and post curvature correction, so every orthoimage is different by another one taken in another day, by another rig and processed by the same or another GIS system. Try to switch between different aerials/date in GE...to see what I mean. There is NO WAY to be sure you're getting the perfect layout, even if you get the same track lenght. We can draw two completely different track, with the same lenght...this is not a proof they're the same track...:D

BTW, the error you get, when you work above those pictures, is something you'll not spot in terms of lenght. A complete different stuff is the elevation profile precision. Here you can get huge errors in terms of quality of realism.

The only way to get a high precision track are lidars, new generation GPS stations or ton of theodolites measurements...and of course original CAD drawings. :)

14. ethone

ethone Registered

7 meters is a very low difference.
    1-2m is ridiculously low. If you're that low and try to "improve" on it, you're more likely to add error than remove it.

Tuttle has pointed out plenty of the technical inaccuracies already.
    Some more - whatever measure you have for track length, it won't be a perfect measure either. If you even know whether it's the length of the "ideal racing line" (a measure I've seen used for F1 tracks), the center line (which can or can not be accurate on that level as well when the track width changes somewhere) or the "shorter" edge. Then how did they come up with it, from the CAD which can differ from actual conditions (ground may have given a bit or they may not be accurate to begin with), from taking those length-counters-on-wheels around the track (which line? human error in any case)? Did they take into account height difference as Tuttle mentioned?

There's also a logical issue - when you're say 20m short that doesn't mean you're equally short everywhere. You might be. Or one turn might be 10m too long, another kink 5m too wide, a straight 30m too long, another turn 10m too tight and another straight 5m too short. As long as you're in the right ballpark with your length and there isn't anything obviously wrong with turns or straights (video footage is best for that), I'd rather settle for even 50m of difference than trying to pinpoint inaccuracies that are below the threshold of being noticeable for humans, and for which you don't have an accurate enough blueprint to make a definite statement about in the first place.

I wouldn't give much about CAD drawings btw, unless you can back them up with secondary material. I got the drawings of a track a few years ago and they were clearly not accurate. They had a clear kink in one of their straights that wasn't in the CAD drawings, and subsequently the next corner looked very different from what the CAD said... Curbs were built very different from

15. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

True. When you work with pre-CADs (preliminary design, without post-corrections) you've to cross more data to obtain a good base to work...and depends on local laws as well...Here in Italy you've to deposit pre and post-CAD project as you can't create too many inconsistencies between the preliminary project and the current status.

16. Tommy78

Tommy78 Registered

17. Johannes Kunkel

Johannes Kunkel Registered

Hi Tommy,

I was at Hockenheim earlier this year and took pictures during the races and while walking around the track after the race, maybe they help you, you can check them out here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0i7lasy549d5itt/jwmJ6Sc6FR

If you need one in higher resolution, let me know.

18. Tommy78

Tommy78 Registered

Many thanks Johannes!

Good pictures! Thanks for sharing, and i will ask you if need one of them in hi-res.

19. Kevin Karas

Kevin Karas Registered

I saw your track in version 0.55 in an online server yesterday? Does this mean there is a public version on the way :):):)

20. Tommy78

Tommy78 Registered

No, this is not my version.