Historic Aesthetic Wishlist

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by Jon, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Jon

Jon Registered

Here is my (mostly aesthetic) wishlist for rFactor, all of which applies to historic racing in the sixties (and possibly the early seventies as well).

Historic line ups and "creeping" starts

At the moment rFactor offers two kinds of starts for road racing: Standing, and Formation + Standing (not to mention the rolling starts). It would be nice and historically accurate to have an additional option where the cars lined up from about 20 metres back from their grid position, as was common in older races. See time position 11:45 in the following video to see what I mean.

Secondly, as you can also see from the same video some of the cars slowly creeped forward before the man waved the start. In fact one driver even moved to the third row from the forth which the commentator points out. Although not so prominent in this race, judging from other starts from previous races in the 60's this was the norm for every historic start I've seen. I noticed that even with full flag rules in rFactor 2 it's possible for the player to do the same, by holding down the clutch and slipping into 1st and gently releasing the brakes, but it would be a nice touch if the AI did this as well, and if the rules for the player could be made a little more relaxed regarding the start.

- Car smoking or leaking oil.
    From the same video at 13:50 you can see the first place car smoking and in other places leaking oil. As far as I'm aware leaking oil isn't implemented in rFactor but it would be a nice touch, especially considering it was quite common in those days even if there wasn't anything really wrong with the car. The same applies to smoke.

Other smaller historical suggestion:
    • A second (or third) car from 1966 to go with the Brabham, such as the BRM or Lotus. It seems wise to stick with the 1966 season since we've already got three excellent tracks a one superb car from that season. Also, a very minor point but worth mentioning is that the Belgium is spelt "Belgiun" on the Belgium 1966 loading screen.
    • Option to remove the pit lane speed limit.
    • Option to adjust how wet the track must be in order to pit. I believe there are some issues with the AI pitting unnecessarily during wet weather.
    • When a car catches fire then I would have expected the whole car to be engulfed in flames. At present fires are rather small and not really noticeable.
    • Some visual indicator which shows which camera group you are using during the replays. I noticed camera group 3 or 4 seemed to be based exactly where the cameras were in historic races (another really nice touch from the makers of Spa). Also, some option to toggle the helicopter camera by pressing a button, without a visual indicator.

Customisable Fill Light, Contrast, Saturation, and Colour Temperature

I made the following video by adjusting the tint to yellow, reducing the contrast and saturation, and adding white fill from within the YouTube upload enhancement screen

It would be nice in the future if we had these options available from within rFactor so we could create our own post-effects (filters), which could be saved (and possibly shared) to be used for both replays and in-game. Assetto Corsa has some predefined ones, but they are not that historically realistic, can't be edited (at least not easily), and the black and white and serpia tones are impractical to race with and too "crisp" to be considered historical.

Official (or at least endorsed) ISI Servers which can be monthly rented

Assetto Corsa endoreses and uses https://www.rackservice.org/, which also provides affordable rented servers for Project Cars and Live for Speed. However there are very few sites which offer this service for rFactor 2. I saw elitegameservers has three servers up for Monaco '66, yet not one of them can be connected to (at least from my end). Markmods seemed a good choice especially given the price, but after sending them an email asking for information about their rFactor 2 servers they never replied (that was one week ago). The ideal situation would be if ISI were to create their own servers linked to LiveRacers that can rented, that way we can be sure that they are constantly up-to-date with the latest DX11 build, and would also act as another means of financially supporting them. On a similar note of financial support, I personally would not have a problem if ISI sold individual DLC content (not packs as with AC). The quality of their mods (especially the Brabham, Spa, and Monaco) is excellent, but I appreciate that this takes time and effort on their part and historic content in particular is a niche segment (as it is in AC and iRacing). If they did opt for the DLC route, I would only ask that they sold them individually, or at most period-packs (i.e., 1960's F1 pack). I'm sure I'm not the only one who bought AC's Red Pack only for the Maserati 250F 6C...

Just for the record, I absolutely love rFactor 2, and much prefer it to AC and iRacing. iRacing does have unbeatable online races, but its historical content is next to zero. rFactor 2 really does lack the online races, but the AI is both well-optimised in terms of performance and also, for the most part, realistic.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  2. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

First of all, very nicely written feedback :)
    Usually we just set the pit limit to 400kph or whatever speed cars will never go.
    Yes that's true, we don't have groups showing when watching replays, only when live watching.
    This is something we will look into.

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

The smoke from exhausts missing I always notice , be great if it could be added even simplified smoke
    So it's not an fps hog

Tire squeal sounds update would be good

Looking forward ( & hoping ) to that the eve's & sparks will get the dx11 make over too

Agreed iracing & AC historic cars are pretty much useless once gets a taste of the brilliance of them in rfactor2

Jon likes this.
  4. Emery

Emery Registered

'60s pace car/safety car as used in CanAm, TransAm, & Indy is needed! Even if Studio 397 does not produce one, a kind artist could build one up please :)

billyblaze likes this.
  5. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Yeah, this all sounds pretty appealing to me :)
    I made the Cobra into a pace car a while back, just as a test project in the end. But it works :)
    I have uploaded it if anyone is interested. It has three liveries, but no flashing lights or anything.
    And i think it uses the high rather than max detail body mesh, for performance.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/kp8bfguajtxzmvk/AC_427SC_1967_PaceCar-v092.rfcmp?dl=0

and rfm files for the different liveries. I don't remember how to set it up, but it works
    Yellow SC rfm
    White SC rfm
    Red SC rfm

From memory the white version is vaguely based on an Indy 500 pacecar c.1967
    If anyone wants to pick up this framework and make it into a better, more feature-rich pacecar, please do (but let me know) :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  6. CrossPly

CrossPly Registered

Indeed, nice thread.

While we are wishing, some other things I'd like to see:

Drive Shaft Rotation: Mainly for historic open wheelers. I've experimented with adding the drive shafts to the TIRE instance and this does work for getting them to rotate but the large suspension travel of historic cars results in the shafts becoming disconnected from the gearbox as they stay aligned to the rotating wheels while the suspension moves up and down.

Animations Tied to Engine RPM: A way to have texture and geometry animations tied to the speed of the engine. This could be used for things like the previously mentioned exhaust smoke, but also things like rotating engine pulleys, belts, engine shake etc..

7. billyblaze

billyblaze Registered

all those are great ideas - would be really nice to see the Brabham driver/helmet models (or something similar) for the EVE, Spark, and Howstons, too....:)

Jon likes this.
  8. Mauro

Mauro Registered

The most urgent thing:
    A quality Trackpack with best '60/'70 historic tracks (and various layout)
    It would be a dlc if needed

Something like:

Kyalami
    Osterreichring
    Silverstone
    Watkins Glen
    Brands Hatch
    Rouen
    Zandvoort
    Buenos Aires
    Mosport
    Mexico
    Mont Tremblant

9. salvasirignano

salvasirignano Registered

+1000000

It appears to me, although I could be wrong, that the most well received and highly regarded ISI vehicles are the historic cars: the BT20, Eves, Sparks and Howsons. There are already three marvellous circuits from the period in Spa, Monza and Monaco available to use with the cars, so why not go the whole hog and make the rest, Studio 397? One might say that rF2 has a fairly scattergun approach to its content, but I think that could be remedied by putting a few more eggs into the 'classics' basket and giving us at least one complete series to play.
    A 'GPL 2' with rF2's physics, FFB, evocative classic circuits and decent AI would be a major draw in my opinion. Licensing would be an issue for cars, but put the circuits in place and I'm sure the community would do the rest with regard to car models, drivers and skins.

10. billyblaze

billyblaze Registered

@Jon Finlay - thought your name sounded familiar...i raced a season (well most of it) with you guys in the 49 (William Lipscomb)....remember the huge wreck at Monza?

Jon likes this.
  11. Jon

Jon Registered

Yeah I remember your name, we had some great races with Randy as well. He often asked where you were as all three of us were quite well-matched. Yeah I remember that Monza crash well, Randy and I were some of the lucky ones and managed to race until the end, I remember your car was a complete write-off though :) Pity because that was lining up to be a spectacular race.