High Quality Post Effects

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OriK, Oct 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

You are comparing screenshots from entirely different times of day.

2. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

The old bloom was far too unrefined and unbalanced. It washed out, burned and gleamed off of everything and I got distracted (if not slightly nauseated) by the fact driving anywhere near midday caused the sky to burn apocalyptic white. Without there's something obviously missing but with there's something obviously distracting. Nuance in the color of light is actually a problem all around with the game's graphics. One of the reasons cars have a certain plasticity to them is because reflections and glow are just a bit too washed out, which, in turn, the devs seemed to try to correct by over-saturating everything else. The lower screenshots aren't nearly as dynamic looking but they're far better composed in terms of light and color balance.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2015
  3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I agree about the washed out - and have spoken of it before - but between having a game that only worked if ingame clock was set between 4-6:30pm, and the current (and also hopefully not final) look, I'd rather have the current. We unfortunately still have burn on the clouds and sky, or whatever it's called.

4. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I would love to see whatever adjustment is needed to reduce the whiteness in the sky. I have a bad feeling it would mean other things would be worse, since it's all a dynamic and interlinked system, and based on real world measurements. Maybe they could unhook the sky from the system a little bit? I don't know. In this case I don't mind the idea of corrupting full scale real world data for the sake of the illusion of a real sky.

5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

When real world numbers don't output the real world result, I think it's fine to fiddle so you get real world results with adjusted values

6. woochoo

woochoo Registered

hehe, i think this is about to turn into a tyre/ffb/physics thread... restrain yourselves people, we're talking about the sky :p

7. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

Yes I agree the old look was far from perfect. But I would have thought a game developer would refine these things to perfection instead of simply switching them off. Which is why I think Tosch's theory might be right. He seems to know what he is talking about and taking away gfx features seems odd.

8. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Correction: it went from

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

to

GRAB_1324.JPG

GRAB_1294.JPG

GRAB_1282.JPG

I see you didn't use any pics taken at noon from the earlier builds under default conditions (because no one dared taking those without editing [custom HDP is an edit] and no one ever raced at noon -- in fact first-time users were advised by people here to use extreme sun angles).
    This has got to be the most obvious bit of trolling I've seen in recent years.

Thread closed. Please continue the discussion here: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/26845-High-Quality-Post-Effects?p=393423&viewfull=1#post393423 :eek: :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.